• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

I witnessed a kaboom today.

I was at the range with a couple of buddies of mine. One of then was firing a mostly new ruger sr45. I had just finished a volley of shots from my glock 21 and turned to him and made a comment on how much better my glock was than his ruger. As I finished my sentence, he fired his weapon, and chunks of his gun flew off if his gun and smacked my safety glasses. The magazine busted apart, smoke went everywhere, my safety glasses broke, his hand was gushing blood, it was awful.

We cleaned up the wound with a med kit, there was a nasty gash on his trigger finger, and a ton of bruising all over his hand, but nothing to serious. My safety glasses are cracked (better a crack than my eye), but all in all, it could have been worse. He didn't lose a hand and I still have my eyes.
egyjeqav.jpg
ysujajyn.jpg
a3aqyqyh.jpg

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk

WOW! I'll defer to those that know more than me (which is everyone), but my first thought was how would a steel frame have tolerated that pressure?

Last edited:
Oy! Not an expert but it looks like it was an Out of Battery detonation, of course, I could be wrong.

How new was it?
Which Ammo was he shooting?
Any thing weird before it happened?

I'd be calling Ruger about that shit tomorrow.

Safety gear, it's not just for kids! Glad everyone made out relatively well.

Wow glad u guys are ok. No joke for sure.
what loads was he shooting.

well i was eyeballing the SR45 i guess i will hold off.

I had just finished a volley of shots from my glock 21 and turned to him and made a comment on how much better my glock was than his ruger. As I finished my sentence, he fired his weapon, and chunks of his gun flew off if his gun and smacked my safety glasses. The magazine busted apart, smoke went everywhere, my safety glasses broke, his hand was gushing blood, it was awful.

So in basically what you are saying is. The ruger proved to you that it is just like a glock...

Glad everyone is ok. Tell your friend to enjoy the new gun they send him...

Ouch - glad you guys are ok. Look forward to reading the details about type of ammo used.

Brand butthurt in 3...2...1...

you mean ntomsw butthurt. LOL.

But we know the SR series are pretty much near perfect. They run with almost no malfunctions. This seems like a pretty bad one and they should correct it. My SR9c has been flawless like hundreds of thousands of others probably.

Glad no one was hurt. Can't really comment until it is known what type of ammo was being used.

I won't blame the gun until I hear what the ammo is.

Just about every kaboom I've read about on any forum ends up being a reload of some sort. Out of Battery ignitions seem to be as rare as Loch Ness Monster sightings.

To the OP. Glad everyone is pretty much OK. Good work with the first aid kit.

The ammo was either pierce, fiocci, or federal. I Only shoot my reloads, but he was shooting his factory stuff. I do think it fired out of battery. I noticed with a couple of his rounds, the slide didn't seem to be sitting forward completely, at least not like his sr9 did.

WOW! I'll defer to those that know more than me (which is everyone), but my first thought was how would a steel frame have tolerated that pressure?
My guess? Better.

And why is it that with almost every report of a KaBoom, there is a minor mystery about what ammo was being used. I know what I am using with every damn shot I take. Apparently, I am in the minority on that.

My guess? Better.

And why is it that with almost every report of a KaBoom, there is a minor mystery about what ammo was being used. I know what I am using with every damn shot I take. Apparently, I am in the minority on that.

I've taken several brands of ammo to the range before.

I've taken several brands of ammo to the range before.
Me too. But if you had a KaBoom, you wouldn't know or be able to figure out which ammo blew? Honestly? Do you mix ammo brands &/or types within a single magazine? Maybe it's just old anal me, but I don't do that.

Me too. But if you had a KaBoom, you wouldn't know or be able to figure out which ammo blew? Honestly? Do you mix ammo brands &/or types within a single magazine? Maybe it's just old anal me, but I don't do that.

Yes, I do. Especially if I've shot a comp where I don't use a full magazine of ammo.

Back
Top Bottom