I witnessed a kaboom today.

I was loading a mag for my 1911 about two months ago with some remington factory stuff, and noticed one round where the brass casing had what looked like a gash half the length of the brass. Had I attempted to shoot it, it almost certainly would have exploded in the chamber.

Always inspect your rounds before loading them!

OP, glad you guys are ok.

Buck.

Last edited:
Me too. But if you had a KaBoom, you wouldn't know or be able to figure out which ammo blew? Honestly? Do you mix ammo brands &/or types within a single magazine? Maybe it's just old anal me, but I don't do that.

Shot my SR9c a few weeks ago...had 4 or 5 or more different brands (extra stuff just hanging around), steel/brass, self defense/ball, mixed them up in my range bag, filled a few mags, dumped them all on target...no problems = carry.

I'm more concerned it toss lead down range than what "brand" lead I might toss down range.

Sorry to hear the OP issues and glad all is "relatively well"...and if factory loads, SR will make it right.

I've no complaints with any of my SR products.

The ammo was either pierce, fiocci, or federal. I Only shoot my reloads, but he was shooting his factory stuff. I do think it fired out of battery. I noticed with a couple of his rounds, the slide didn't seem to be sitting forward completely, at least not like his sr9 did.

Quoting - just because everyone has missed it since his post. Shooting factory - not reloads.

I'm glad no one was badly injured. I had a glock kaboom on me save your brass, live ammo and ammo box. If Ruger is anything like Winchester and Glock. They will take care of you.

You just got your money's worth out of those safety glasses.
Damn right I did. They weren't the greatest pair of safety glasses, but I am glad they worked. Going forward, I will be investing on a better pair. I swear by them now.

I just hope ruger takes care of him. It sucks to lose 500 on a kaboom.

Isn't that what's supposed to happen?
Split down the side is far less of a problem, if a problem at all than a failure to lockup, which he mentions at some point in this thread.

45 and 9 will generally shoot just fine with cracked cases (on the side), but if the barrel/slide don't lock, you're gonna have a bad time.

p.s. don't shoot bad cases on purpose unless you are "professional enough", just pointing out that the chamber support of these relatively low pressure rounds is generally more than adequate.

"See something say something". [wink]

Don't be afraid to ask or yell if you see a gun doing something odd. The shooter may not notice from their vantage and the worst that can happen is you look like a noob (which you will promptly get over [laugh]).

Last edited:
I have one if these. I had some issue with it not fully entering battery among other minor issues (light strikes). I called Ruger and they took care of it 100%. Since then I've putt 1000rounds without any malfunction from the gun.

ugh, I'm glad that everyone OK, but this kind of shit is the reason I hate faggy modern arms with plastic grips and raunchy designs. I never seen a Mak or 1911 blow up ripping apart the grip or trigger.

wow! glad to hear everyone is OK... looking forward to hear what Ruger has to say! this just days after i just ordered a new ruger sr1911...

I have one if these. I had some issue with it not fully entering battery among other minor issues (light strikes). I called Ruger and they took care of it 100%. Since then I've putt 1000rounds without any malfunction from the gun.

Did your gun Kaboom before they took care of it?

you mean ntomsw butthurt. LOL.

But we know the SR series are pretty much near perfect. They run with almost no malfunctions. This seems like a pretty bad one and they should correct it. My SR9c has been flawless like hundreds of thousands of others probably.

This likely isn't a gun problem. This is almost assuredly bad ammunition (my bet is steel cased wolf or Uly) or REALLY terrible reloads. (like a double charge of a fast burning powder )

ETA: if this is really an OOB issue independent of ammo, this is pretty embarassing for Ruger, then again, it wouldn't be the first time this happened to a Ruger/Glock/other gun.

-Mike

Last edited:
Damn right I did. They weren't the greatest pair of safety glasses, but I am glad they worked. Going forward, I will be investing on a better pair. I swear by them now.

I just hope ruger takes care of him. It sucks to lose 500 on a kaboom.

If this is actually a gun problem I have no doubt that they will. If he was using factory ammo he might be able to get them to pay medical expenses, too... depending on where the blame arrow points. If Ruger doesn't own up to it they will blame the ammo company. I hope your friend knew what brand of ammo he was shooting and kept any pieces left, documented it, etc. He should probably quarantine whatever that stuff is before shooting more of it
until it gets ruled one way or the other.

If this is a legit OOB issue my guess is there is some kind of defect in some of these things. Glock and others have suffered from similar issues in the past.

Thankfully every time I've had a Glock OOB the gun failed to fire unless it was fully in battery.

-Mike

ugh, I'm glad that everyone OK, but this kind of shit is the reason I hate faggy modern arms with plastic grips and raunchy designs. I never seen a Mak or 1911 blow up ripping apart the grip or trigger.

Mak's don't blow up because everyone shoots the same combloc type ammo out of it all the time, and only a few people handload it, and even if you do, I bet the gun is difficult to blow up. (I wonder if Clark Magnuson ever tried it).

People blow up 1911s all the time (usually numbskulls not being careful with really fast powder and doubling it) although I will admit with strong framed guns they usually fail in such a way that results in less injury to the shooter. Depending on the level of KB sometimes full steel guns are even salvageable if it didn't kill the barrel in the process.

-Mike

Did your gun Kaboom before they took care of it?

Thankfully mine did not go kaboom.
However after seeing this I would hate to think that it could have happened to me. Like I stated Ruger took care of my SR45 and I have been well served by it since getting it back.

wow! glad to hear everyone is OK... looking forward to hear what Ruger has to say! this just days after i just ordered a new ruger sr1911...

Not something I would worry about on a 1911.... the design doesn't really lend itself to firing out of battery, because the hammer can't even hit the firing pin unless the slide is mostly in battery to begin with. The 1911 platform has a lot of other shitty affectations, but OOB ignition seems to be uncommonly rare, regardless of manufacturer.

-Mike

Mak's don't blow up because everyone shoots the same combloc type ammo out of it all the time, and only a few people handload it, and even if you do, I bet the gun is difficult to blow up. (I wonder if Clark Magnuson ever tried it).

People blow up 1911s all the time (usually numbskulls not being careful with really fast powder and doubling it) although I will admit with strong framed guns they usually fail in such a way that results in less injury to the shooter. Depending on the level of KB sometimes full steel guns are even salvageable if it didn't kill the barrel in the process.

-Mike

You underestimate the role of "awesome".

Some guns are more or less likely to do OOB, but OOB out of Mak or Tok? In the event of blow up, gun design has a lot to do where crap goes. In modern manufacturing, it's easy to pay off few victims or blame ammo.

They just paid off for every pair you buy from now on until the day you die too, I think.

I have had a ricochet copper jacket bounce off if my safety glasses twice at a 50 yard range and I wasnt even shooting. Wear your glasses!

Sent from my Galaxy S4 using Tapatalk Pro - typos are from the GD auto correct unless they are funny substitutions those I'll take credit for.

Back
Top Bottom