I WANT AN FFL!

Can anyone tell me how to get one? [smile]

Seriously though. Ive been looking hard at the sites that give you a "package" of step-by-step actions to follow that is supposed to lead you right up to your own personal FFL. So I have a question... Is this thing for real? Has anyone ever done it? Are they legit? You pay them some cash for their bundle of advice, and its supposed to help you "get-around" all the red tape and obstacles between you and an FFL?

I welcome any and all advice and commentary concerning this.

Unless you intend to open up a real gun store, with a store front and regular hours, you are not going to get an 01 FFL.

Open a commercial property with regular hours, file the paperwork and pay the fee.

Simple really. It's the commercial property requirements that prevent most people from being able to get one.

Operating as an FFL takes a lot more work, but getting the license isn't that tough.

Unless you intend to open up a real gun store, with a store front and regular hours, you are not going to get an 01 FFL.

Is that true outside of MA? I know we've had our kitchen table FFLs shut down, but I thought it was due to changes in MA laws. He's in NH, which I imagine would make things easier.

Well, at least you're in NH, so it's an order of magnitude simpler
there.

Don't bother with those packages, etc, you find floating on the
web, you can get all the real stuff for free.

FWIW, unless you have an intent on running it as a profit-earning
business, don't even bother. If the ATF sees your logbook filled
up with personal transfers and nothing else you'll get axed pretty
quickly. In the old days anyone and their brothers uncle could
get a Type 01 for the hell of it, but nowadays they try to at least
get people to show an intent to operate a "real business" before
they grant them. The whole thing is not a trivial undertaking
unless you have some cash lying around that you want to invest
in a new business.

-Mike

Is that true outside of MA? I know we've had our kitchen table FFLs shut down, but I thought it was due to changes in MA laws. He's in NH, which I imagine would make things easier.

The crackdown on "kitchen table" dealers was a Clinton Admin
era thing, not just in MA. I think MA has its own set of insanities
that played into this, but it wasn't all a state thing. I think by
the time Clinton got out of office the total number of FFLs was
down by at least like 50% or more from what it was before that....
it may have been tied into a law change, possibly even during the
GHW bush admin.

-Mike

Excellent replies! Thank you so very much, good people!

So no kitchen table FFLS now, huh? That's exactly what one of these sites is claiming they will help me get into.

Just a little background on me; I'm a mechanic of all things mechanical, and I'm a second-generation machinist. I worked by my self for years as a custom knifemaker. To say that during that time I've played with a few guns would be an understatement. I've done some armory work in the service in the service too. Basically, I was thinking about starting a home-based business doing several mods and upgrades to pistols like carry-melts, fancy grips, checkering, engraving, etc. Nothing fancy, stuff I can do and have done before.

So do you guys think they would let me have a license if the Chief of Police said it was okay?

So do you guys think they would let me have a license if the Chief of Police said it was okay?
As long as you can truthfully claim that this business would have hours of operation open to the general public, and that there is no zoning regulation against it, it should not be a big problem.

The MA laws certainly hastened their demise, but it is my understanding that the BATF has made it much harder to get an FFL.

..... Basically, I was thinking about starting a home-based business doing several mods and upgrades to pistols like carry-melts, fancy grips, checkering, engraving, etc. Nothing fancy, stuff I can do and have done before.

Are you trying to sell firearms or accessories to firearms? If accessories I wouldn't see why you need a 01 FFL... You may want to buy/borrow a gun of a particular type to get the dimensions/etc, but it doesn't sound like you need a FFL for what you want to do. Of course I'm not a lawyer.

Open a commerically zoned store, stock 200 M44s, and be open 3 hours a day 4 days a week. You should be all set.

If you are going to do gunsmithing,melts and engraving etc...and the firearm you are working on at any given time stays in your possesion for more than (1)day and carries to the next and you have an FFL,remember that you will have to log it in your record book.Of course this is if you decide to go for the FFL.What I'm getting at is that it may be more of a pain in the neck than it's worth if your'e not required to have it.I thought about it too but now I'm leaning toward a C&R FFL...of course I decide this after I waited for the forms from ATF for a month and a half for the FFL (01)[smile]

Last edited:
I heard if you have a FFL the ATF can do a search or your place whenever they want.

Basically, I was thinking about starting a home-based business doing several mods and upgrades to pistols like carry-melts, fancy grips, checkering, engraving, etc. Nothing fancy, stuff I can do and have done before.

If you are not buying guns for resale, but just maintaining or smithing them, I don't see why you would need an FFL. It would allow you some degree of convenience in shipping them to clients as I understand it, but other than that, what would it buy you?

It seems you'd be better off spending the energy/money getting some liability insurance to cover you.

IANAL

If you are not buying guns for resale, but just maintaining or smithing them, I don't see why you would need an FFL. It would allow you some degree of convenience in shipping them to clients as I understand it, but other than that, what would it buy you?
IANAL
You must have an FFL to be a gunsmith. ATF has an excellent FAQ, which reads, in part:
(I1) Is a license needed to engage in the business of engraving, customizing, refinishing or repairing firearms?

Yes. A person conducting such activities as a business is considered to be a gunsmith within the definition of a dealer. See Item 16, “Federal Excise Tax” in the General Information section of this publication.

[27 CFR 478.11]
Full text is here: http://www.atf.gov/firearms/faq/faq2.htm#h6

You'll need to have an FFL (01) in order to be in the business of gunsmithing. That's the same as a regular dealer license. However, unlike dealers, BATFE does not require that gunsmiths have regular hours of operation or premises open to the general public. [ATF Ruling 73-13] All FFL (01) licensees are subject with some specific exceptions to no more than one inspection of their premises by BATFE.

Ken

Once again, I think its time for me to say "Eff-It" and forget about my FFL dream. I'll make some side money somewhere else. I used to make custom knives, and I made some decent coin at that, but it was horribly-boring and lonely. Very lonely profession.

56735944_BTs_001.jpg

Back
Top Bottom