• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

I want a Cetme

SKS Ray

NES Member
Just like the one pictured but I've heard horror stories about bolts being ground, reliability, etc.

Anyone have links with info on what to look for and what to avoid? A friend of mine bought one years ago. It looked great but functioned like crap.

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1432851563944.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1432851563944.jpg
    14.5 KB · Views: 194
You would most likely have a better experience with a DSA Fal.

If you reload you will hate the HK/CETME platform as they eat brass, have no bolt hold open etc.

The FAL style is nice but I've shot both, I know about the brass issue with Cetme rifles and how they function. I could build a nice FAL tomorrow if I wanted. Right now I just want a Cetme.

apex has cetme kits for sale right now ~$175 i believe. if you are not a stranger to building stuff this might be an option. i can let you borrow my flat bending jig.
also apex has US-made cetme barrels for a decent price, soyou won't have to go to hkparts.net to buy overpriced g3 barrel for almost twice the cost.
if you wanna build cetme welder and press is a must. if you have access to one then you are good to go.

DSA FALs are great but cost is high.

also simple snap-on port buffer prevents cetme from destroying brass

apex has cetme kits for sale right now ~$175 i believe. if you are not a stranger to building stuff this might be an option. i can let you borrow my flat bending jig.
also apex has US-made cetme barrels for a decent price, soyou won't have to go to hkparts.net to buy overpriced g3 barrel for almost twice the cost.
if you wanna build cetme welder and press is a must. if you have access to one then you are good to go.

DSA FALs are great but cost is high.

also simple snap-on port buffer prevents cetme from destroying brass
The apex kits are for the 5.56 model though right?

I saw the kits and thought about buying one for parts alone. For now I want a functioning rifle with no headaches like the ones I've heard about from the old Century builds.

The century ones are hit or miss. I had one years ago that was fine after I cleaned it well, (the receiver was full of metal swarf ) and hard recoiling. I just built a mashup G3/cetme and (G3 furniture) used a Barrel from sarco and receiver flat from RTG (on clearance for 30.00 right now) and I set it up with the correct bolt gap and a new OEM bolt head and rollers. Less recoil than I remember and a much nicer gun all around.

If you get a century cetme check the bolt gap after cleaning. (look at youtube for the correct method of doing this. ) basically you want to do it empty gun, pull cocking handle back, slap it down so the bolt goes forward, (never ride the handle on these or any HK design) and then pull the trigger so the hammer drops on the back of the Carrier. then measure the bolt gap. should be in the .004 to .020 range with most experts saying keep it int he double digits. check your bolt head for length Cetme bolt heads are 1.832 and century ground a lot of them.
the feeler gauge should be a little snug when you insert it. if it passes that test then make sure your cocking handle has enough gap also. should be what the bolt is +.015

OEM bolt heads are available from apex for very little $ if the bolt gap is off then there are various fixes up to pressing the barrel back out turning it 90 degrees and repressing it to the correct bolt gap. then drill ream the hole for the pin and insert pin.

Oh and there are weld on brass deflectors that help with the brass issue.

Last edited:
I had one years ago from century it was the cast receiver ones. Boy what a f#^king nightmare that was,so I picked up a H&K 91 ,and put a wood set on it.

The FAL style is nice but I've shot both, I know about the brass issue with Cetme rifles and how they function. I could build a nice FAL tomorrow if I wanted. Right now I just want a Cetme.

I could drag a couple of these guys along when we get together if you want some more FAL trigger time.

IMG_0680_zpsydwvuchy.jpg

Back
Top Bottom