I have a rifle in another state....

Brent

NES Member
Ok, quick question. I purchased a Remington .308 VS SF about 10 years ago in Minnesota and used it to hunt in Wisconsin. It now resides at my dads home in Wisconsin.

I want to use it to shoot F-Class competitions, but can I have my dad ship it to me without going through any hoops?

The rifle is registered under my name.

From what I believe you will need to send it to a dealer here in MASS. You can then pick it up from them. Unless your in good with a local dealer they will most likely charge you $15-$20 to have it transfered.

I do not believe there is anyway to ship it direct to you without some law getting in the way.

I could be wrong though... lets see if others chime in.

Though I have not read through this it seems like it covers your exact question:

http://www.nraila.org/GunLaws/FederalGunLaws.aspx?ID=59

"The following is a citizen`s guide to legal transportation of personally-owned firearms for hunting, competitive shooting, vacationing, and changing residence between states. This guide does not cover the lawful carriage of concealed firearms. "

Just to add more info.

I currently reside in MA and am a resident. I have a LTC Class A.

My rifle that I want bring here was purchased in MN about 10 years ago and now resides in Wisconsin at my fathers house and want it shipped to me so I can keep it with me in MA.

So my question I am getting at is will I need to have it shipped to an FFL or can I have it shipped to me since I already own it and it is a hunting rifle.

INAL, however, I do believe you can have it shipped to you since you are the owner, have the correct corresponding license and live in this state. I'm sure Len can provide the MGL quote for you. :D

I'm too hot and lazy right now to look up the law, but it is actually Fed Law that applies, NOT MGLs. Plus I have some real work to do before heading off to the BR&P meeting.

Feds allow YOU to ship to yourself in another state. NO FFL required, since you are the owner, there is NO transfer.

The only sticky part is the part about having a 3rd party (Father) ship it to you. It should at least read From Brent and To Brent! Who delivers it to UPS is another story and one I'd rather not try to answer (since I don't know). Next visit home you could definitely box it up and ship to yourself. Don't know if anyone would know or care if your Father delivered it to UPS for you.

If you brought it with you you wouldn't have had to register it in MA. if it comes in later, you legally must register it with gun info and your info on an FA-10 within 10 days of it coming into MA. You check the "Registration" block on the top of the FA-10.

You do not have to go through an FFL, since there's no transfer involved. If the gun goes to a FFL holder, then he or she has to book the gun, and so is undoubtedly going to charge you for it. (I even had one dealer, who I strongly suspect didn't have more than the tip of one oar in the water, claim that he was required to collect Massachusetts sales tax on it, even though there was no transfer or sale involved.) One option would be to pick it up and bring it back with you the next time you visit. ATF explicitly states that a person can ship a firearm to themselves in another state [See http://www.atf.gov/firearms/faq/faq2.htm#b10 ]. Since there's no transfer of ownership involved, and the owner would be the recipient of the firearms, I would assume that your father, acting as your agent, could ship to gun to you.

Ken

Back
Top Bottom