• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

I Had to do it!!!....Best Pizza

A thing now???? Town Spa - 1955. Lynwood - 1940-something? Union Villa (not on the top of the list, but the most "same as teh original batch" that I've ever seen) - 1974.
In my humble opinion, the Villa has surpassed the Spa. For some unknown reason, I have yet to get to the Linwood.

Joe's? Still there. Still good, although I haven't been there in a year or so.

Not that it'll be at all convenient for most of you, but the Russell Inn in Russell, MA has good pizza.
I have not tried the Russell Inn but it is not too far a hike for me.
Knox Trail Inn (likely less convenient for most but more convenient for me) has upped their kitchen game lately. The pizza has been excellent.

We don't go fully scratch - we'll usually buy the dough, and then add our own ingredients. Saves so much wailing and gnashing of teeth as everyone gets the pizza they really like.

Son - pepperoni and cheese
Daughter - cheese
Wife - everything under the kitchen sink; seriously - mushrooms, sauce, cheese, pepperoni, peppers, onion, olives and whatever else. There's so much stuff that if she doesn't cook the pizza an extra 10 minutes, which she doesn't - it's just a wet mess.
Me - complete opposite of my wife: lightly oil the crust, cook it without sauce or toppings and slop some peanut butter on it when the dough is done. I've been known to put the peanut butter on cheese pizza, but haven't tried it on meat yet, doubt I will.

Peanut butter on pizza is just wrong. 😂

Still like Panini Pizzeria in Danvers as my favorite on the North Shore. Not really NY style though, don’t know a good place for that. Frank Pepe in Billerica is very good but a little too much burnt flavor.

Flatbread in Burlington is really good but I don’t think of it as pizza, it’s some weird California thing.

I used to try to get real pizza in New Haven or NYC when going there for work.

I sent a slide down to Battle Werx to have an optic cut. They are right near New Haven. When the slide is done I am going to drive down there to pick it up. I want to check out their shop. I am going to pop into Sally's Apizza in New Haven while I am down there.

Still like Panini Pizzeria in Danvers as my favorite on the North Shore. Not really NY style though, don’t know a good place for that. Frank Pepe in Billerica is very good but a little too much burnt flavor.

Flatbread in Burlington is really good but I don’t think of it as pizza, it’s some weird California thing.

Rubirosa in NYC is the bomb.

My top pizza places (in no particular order) would be: Frank Pepe's in Chestnut Hill, Pizzeria Regina in Boston, Halftime Pizza in Boston, Pizzaria Grande in Walpole.

For bar pizza The Red Wing Dinner in Walpole.

For closed places Santuccis in Norwood and Vinnie Testas in Dedham had EXCELLENT pizza.
1. Watched some pizza guy from Italy go to Frank's Peepee in CT. They don't salt teh dough, they don't season the sauce and just some fancy parm cheese on it?? Is that right??? Basically it's that silly bakery pizza from RI with some shaker-cheese???? That can't be.

2. I've NEVER thought to get hte pizza at Red Wing. That said, I haven't been to Red Wing in. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . maybe 15 years. First time was. . . . . 1972? I was 3. Everyone got clams. I got sketti. I was from Cleveland. WTF would I want one of those nasty clams for?

Yeah I'm seeing it on the menu at various new hipsterish places. Some call it south shore style bar pizza or something like that. 1940? 1955? Alright I guess

F them hipsters. They don't KNOW. They're just making a mini-pizza and calling it SSB. I've seen too many online recipes for it that have NO clue. NO FREAKING CLUE!

In my humble opinion, the Villa has surpassed the Spa. For some unknown reason, I have yet to get to the Linwood.

Villa - unchanged since 1974. Spa - they moved in. . . . 85? They upgraded about 20 or so years ago to Domino's style rolling ovens. It pushes out more pizza, but they cut corners to make pizza faster. It makes them more money but it ruins their damned perfect pizza. Even if you ask for it crispy, it isn't hte same. It used to be (for me) Spa, Lyn, Villa. Now it's Lyn, Villa, Spa. :(

I gotta make a Villa run this weekend. Maybe that's "dinner" on Sunday. :)

There used to be a place in Attleboro called Eli’s. Absolutely the best pizza anywhere. Went by a year or so ago and it’s now something else. The Downtown in Norton used to have pretty good pizza as well. Little greas, but who the hell cares about that. Have not had it in years so not sure about it now.

Where is The Downtown???? I know all of Norton and can't place it. The only pizza I can think of was the strip mall near the college

There was a pizza place in Beverly where the Italian mom used to scream at her two sons in Italian while making pizza. My buddy called it Angry Pizza. Very entertaining but the pizza tasted like they added sugar.

There was a pizza place in Beverly where the Italian mom used to scream at her two sons in Italian while making pizza. My buddy called it Angry Pizza. Very entertaining but the pizza tasted like they added sugar.
Little Italy. The old one. She made my buddy (before I knew him) clean tables while his pizza cooked

Back in the 80's, my brother would go to this hole-in-the-wall Chinese place in Chinatown for lunch most days. It was cheap, but it was NOT clean. Another guy at work called it Dirty Dan's Chinese Restaurant. LOL.

Right down on 123. Right near the golf course. When I was in high school, and the drinking age was 18, I must have paid the mortgage a few times there.

How old'a'boy are'ya? LOL. I think my brother was on the bubble - the age increased a year every year. So if you were 17 when it changed, you were F'd until 21, if you were 18, you were in the clear. That had to be. . . . 1981?

Joe's? Still there. Still good, although I haven't been there in a year or so.

Not that it'll be at all convenient for most of you, but the Russell Inn in Russell, MA has good pizza.
Been eating Pizza there almost my entire life! (Russell Inn- never been to Joe's....I try to stay out of the 'Hamptons)

There used to be a place in Attleboro called Eli’s. Absolutely the best pizza anywhere. Went by a year or so ago and it’s now something else. The Downtown in Norton used to have pretty good pizza as well. Little greas, but who the hell cares about that. Have not had it in years so not sure about it now.

<barf> Eli's was awful, it's now called Bonilla's, I get lunch from there regularly but not pizza.

Every time this comes up in Boston, the answer is almost inevitably Santarpio’s in East Boston.

Prefer deep dish, personally, not common around here.

I train w/ one of the Santarpio kids, nephew I think. He talks about the place, I should try it...

Back in the 80's, my brother would go to this hole-in-the-wall Chinese place in Chinatown for lunch most days. It was cheap, but it was NOT clean. Another guy at work called it Dirty Dan's Chinese Restaurant. LOL.

How old'a'boy are'ya? LOL. I think my brother was on the bubble - the age increased a year every year. So if you were 17 when it changed, you were F'd until 21, if you were 18, you were in the clear. That had to be. . . . 1981?
I’m 66, used to go there every Thursday night while in high school. Laws were pretty lax back then. Used to go to Joes on Newport Ave in Pawtucket, sit right at the bar, get served, never had my ID checked…..at 15.

Back
Top Bottom