• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

I Had to do it!!!....Best Pizza

Village Pizza, Greenfield Massachusetts

If you're ever traveling along route 2 out here, this place is a must.
Again, unpretentious hole in the wall, but when you walk in and see an angry Greek lady and her 4 sons, you know it's gonna be good.

I think she recently retired and sold the place, but when I went last month it was still very good, not sure if the boys are taking up the business. I hope so.

Harvard square got a joes famous. Too bad it’s in Harvard Square but it is definitely the best Slice in all of Massachusetts. Makes santarpios look like high school pizza lol.

Early 70’s there was a Capones in Haymarket Square in Boston. Was the best.
Do you have a Time Machine to lend out? 😂
Down south the pizza options are plentiful. Up here it’s kinda limited but I chose to live up here and so far Bigelow Brewing in Skowhegan and Knife Edge Brewing in Millinocket are our favorites but we shall keep searching for others.
The beers are pretty good as well!!

If up near Portland, ME:
Miccucis grocery does slab deep dishes which are awesome. Only available on certain days.
Toni's kitchen is solid, but usually go their for their wraps . Dude is awesome to chat with, heavy mob connections. (or so lore says).
Flatbread if you want GF, have a party with you or want to sit on the water and enjoy the view.

Yeah, there’s a lot to be said for making pizza from scratch at home.
View attachment 821508

We don't go fully scratch - we'll usually buy the dough, and then add our own ingredients. Saves so much wailing and gnashing of teeth as everyone gets the pizza they really like.

Son - pepperoni and cheese
Daughter - cheese
Wife - everything under the kitchen sink; seriously - mushrooms, sauce, cheese, pepperoni, peppers, onion, olives and whatever else. There's so much stuff that if she doesn't cook the pizza an extra 10 minutes, which she doesn't - it's just a wet mess.
Me - complete opposite of my wife: lightly oil the crust, cook it without sauce or toppings and slop some peanut butter on it when the dough is done. I've been known to put the peanut butter on cheese pizza, but haven't tried it on meat yet, doubt I will.

Has anybody here tried both the New Haven and the Manchester CT. Pepe pizzas are they the same?
The only Pepe pizza I've tried was at Mohegan Sun and I wasn't impressed.
Early 70’s there was a Capones in Haymarket Square in Boston. Was the best.
That place was great!! I'd eat there and then shop in Al Capone's Meat & Cheese next door (his custom roasts were to die for).

This is a thing now apparently. Too bad I'm not eating breads, rice or pasta anymore. They look pretty good

A thing now???? Town Spa - 1955. Lynwood - 1940-something? Union Villa (not on the top of the list, but the most "same as teh original batch" that I've ever seen) - 1974.

My top pizza places (in no particular order) would be: Frank Pepe's in Chestnut Hill, Pizzeria Regina in Boston, Halftime Pizza in Boston, Pizzaria Grande in Walpole.

For bar pizza The Red Wing Dinner in Walpole.

For closed places Santuccis in Norwood and Vinnie Testas in Dedham had EXCELLENT pizza.

Anybody know if there's still a Joe's Pizza in Northampton? That used to be my favorite decades ago.

Frank

Joe's? Still there. Still good, although I haven't been there in a year or so.

Not that it'll be at all convenient for most of you, but the Russell Inn in Russell, MA has good pizza.

A thing now???? Town Spa - 1955. Lynwood - 1940-something? Union Villa (not on the top of the list, but the most "same as teh original batch" that I've ever seen) - 1974.
Yeah I'm seeing it on the menu at various new hipsterish places. Some call it south shore style bar pizza or something like that. 1940? 1955? Alright I guess

Back
Top Bottom