I feel sorry for the MA police on this one.

I thought the cops couldn’t be sued. Wouldn’t the departments be liable for any awards to the criminal’s family and not the cops personally?
LE can 100%be sued Civilly, if they didn’t break department policy & Procedure the union/Department will assist legally and financially. I’m not 100% clear how this will work out but the Department should have these guys backs. Mentally ill or not it is what it is

I thought the cops couldn’t be sued. Wouldn’t the departments be liable for any awards to the criminal’s family and not the cops personally?
‘Cops’ do not exist. You deal with a municipality. That can be sued, potentially.
Most danger now is not your local municipality, the danger are federal entities that are, pretty much de-facto above any law.

I generally won't implicate myself on the internet, but if UN forces land here in numbers for a 'police action', I'll be in the opposition so long as I'm still able to pull a trigger. If I'm 100 and invalid, I'll figure out how one of those Stephen Hawking voice controls can do it. LOL...
the one and only time my great uncle incited violence.
Thanksgiving morning , there was something going on in the middleeast, UN troops where there.

my uncle turned to me and says.
" You ever see those pussy blue helmets in this country its over as you know it. Shoot everylast one of them you can"

"A total of 31 shots were fired at Root by six law enforcement officers according to a report by the Norfolk District Attorney. Root was hit 26 times."
That kind of super-killy marksmanship would never fly in Fun City.

Honestly surprised the family isn't suing glock or whoever the gun manufacturer is too.
im sure that will come , especially when the lawsuit against the officers fails.
Ya know how many gun manufacturers can't be bothered to
submit their pistol models to PRM drop-safety testing,
because the Massachusetts market isn't worth the hassle.

Well if Massachusetts decides it's trendy to allow
lawsuits against one of those same gun manufacturers
(despite the Protection of Lawful Commerce in Arms Act),
those same manufacturers could decide that
selling to cops isn't worth the hassle.
Just like Barrett won't provide sales or service to The Man in CA/NY.

The unmentioned person who is the victim in this incident is the hospital valet who took a police bullet in or just above the eye (assuming at least one of the news reports is accurate). There is a much stronger argument for letting him sue than the miscreant's family.

All I can say the cops should just drive around and drink coffee. It's not worth it to answer call any more. Everything is stacked agents the police right now.

I'm just curious Brookline is its own independent city? Why are all the cops in this situation from Boston?

Brookline is an independent town in a different county. But the incident began in Boston, and the cops were (legitimately) in hot pursuit. One of the officers sued was a state trooper, who apparently decided to get in on the "fun."

"except that any such person shall not be protected from suit or liability for any damage, loss, injury or liability caused by the intentional or willful and wanton misconduct of any such person." When in doubt, sue everyone.

Remember that at this point in the proceedings, the judge isn't acting as a trier of fact. In making the ruling that the suit could proceed, the judge has to look at the evidence in a light most favorable to the plaintiffs. It's a very low bar to get over, and deliberately so. That the cops are unlikely to be personably liable actually increases the chances of the plaintiffs settling or winning, because jurors are more likely to grant judgments when they believe some "insurance company" is paying rather than individuals.

They are suing the officers for shooting a mentally ill man that pulled a replica BB gun on them... I’m all for holding the police to a high standard but... we need to be reasonable...with seconds to make a life or death decision and the perception of a real threat I feel like we are setting an impossible and unfair standard for law enforcement... 🤦🏻‍♂️
Another reason why we should not remove qualified immunity.

The unmentioned person who is the victim in this incident is the hospital valet who took a police bullet in or just above the eye (assuming at least one of the news reports is accurate). There is a much stronger argument for letting him sue than the miscreant's family.
Obligatory [angry].

Another reason why we should not remove qualified immunity.
Qualified immunity: the unconstitutional non-statutory non-regulatory proposition in modern case law
that all actions of government employees are entitled to a lower standard of liability than normal people,
because virtually any wrong is justified by the attendant freedom from circumspection.

Qualified immunity: the unconstitutional non-statutory non-regulatory proposition in modern case law
that all actions of government employees are entitled to a lower standard of liability than normal people,
because virtually any wrong is justified by the attendant freedom from circumspection.
Then there is federal immunity - When a federal LEO kills under orders, (s)he is immune from all state level prosecution. Used to quash the Horuchi indictment in Idaho.

ROE that leftards want are as follows:
All police officers must keep there weapons unloaded and holstered at all times.
Weapon may not be removed from holster and loaded until the subject has fired on and struck a civilian. Fire upon and striking another police officer does not create just cause to unholster of load a weapon. Police officers must use words to defuse and disarm the subject.

ROE that leftards want are as follows:
All police officers must keep there weapons unloaded and holstered at all times.
Weapon may not be removed from holster and loaded until the subject has fired on and struck a civilian. Fire upon and striking another police officer does not create just cause to unholster of load a weapon. Police officers must use words to defuse and disarm the subject.
How about "The Sheriff may carry a loaded gun, but the deputy is limited to one bullet that must be kept in his shirt pocket until the sheriff give an order to load".

Who can be the first to name the town that did this without using Google?

ruling that the suit could proceed, the judge has to look at the evidence in a light most favorable to the plaintiffs. It's a very low bar to get over, and deliberately so.
Unless the "cuz guns" doctrine applies, which is why the federal court granted summary judgement in the Glock case (Draper v. Healey) and would not allow our side to present testimony or evidence.

This along with many other similar events may point out that the closing of all the mental institutions could have been a deadly mistake.

31 shots fired and 26 shots hit? That's pretty damn good in my opinion in regards to 6 cops shooting as well.

There's literally 0 room for error when police respond to a call such as this. Guy pulls gun, cops react. I'm sure mental health training is to come and these officer's will eventually have more tools and training to rely on. But oh wait! Let's defund the police! And get rid of some of their training! right!? Idiots.

All said, enough recent events clearly show that cops need assistance when dealing with mental health situations. I'm sure a lot of states eventually will assist with some program in the future where police will be able to utilize potential training to respond to such events. Which will probably result in slower response times which is going to be scary for society, my opinion, when your dealing with a person walking around with a fake/real gun wanting to just die. Just not fair for officers, they are put into such an incredibly shitty situation that they really don't have any control over. They have to react, or potentially die.

Literally don't see any worry for these officers, that deceased is 100% at fault for that valet being struck. The cops don't just fire rounds off without a reason to. They had a justified reason to.

I really feel for law enforcement right now. Especially people looking to get into a career in law enforcement. We need cops.

31 shots fired and 26 shots hit? That's pretty damn good in my opinion in regards to 6 cops shooting as well.

There's literally 0 room for error when police respond to a call such as this. Guy pulls gun, cops react. I'm sure mental health training is to come and these officer's will eventually have more tools and training to rely on. But oh wait! Let's defund the police! And get rid of some of their training! right!? Idiots.

All said, enough recent events clearly show that cops need assistance when dealing with mental health situations. I'm sure a lot of states eventually will assist with some program in the future where police will be able to utilize potential training to respond to such events. Which will probably result in slower response times which is going to be scary for society, my opinion, when your dealing with a person walking around with a fake/real gun wanting to just die. Just not fair for officers, they are put into such an incredibly shitty situation that they really don't have any control over. They have to react, or potentially die.

Literally don't see any worry for these officers, that deceased is 100% at fault for that valet being struck. The cops don't just fire rounds off without a reason to. They had a justified reason to.

I really feel for law enforcement right now. Especially people looking to get into a career in law enforcement. We need cops.
Not a cop hater by ANY means, but shooting the guy with the BB gun 26 times????? WTF???? Were they on both sides of him, so he could still stand up? Jeeezus....... after the 15th round plowed through him, wouldn't he be laying on the ground?? Any cams record this, or were they all turned off? " The cops don't just fire rounds off without a reason to. " Reason to fire 31 rounds???? Was his dog near him? Maybe those BBs whizzin past their heads skerd dem.

Not a cop hater by ANY means, but shooting the guy with the BB gun 26 times????? WTF???? Were they on both sides of him, so he could still stand up? Jeeezus....... after the 15th round plowed through him, wouldn't he be laying on the ground?? Any cams record this, or were they all turned off? " The cops don't just fire rounds off without a reason to. " Reason to fire 31 rounds???? Was his dog near him? Maybe those BBs whizzin past their heads skerd dem.

Not trying to start up an argument. But, I personally find it pretty interesting you feel the need to include that the gun is a bb gun in your comment/reply. It's pretty easy to find out all those small details after the fact, which they did. But how are the officers suppose to know that it's a bb gun? Yeah, if someone pulls a gun out at a cop, they are getting 110% shot. Maybe once, maybe 5 times, maybe 30, depends on how many officers are there. If they are responding and that firearm is still in their possession, yeah I don't blame ANYONE for shooting continuously in that type of situation. It's real f***ing life. It's not john wick, or james bond, or any other action movie you've seen. That person has potentially an object in their possession that could literally end one of those officer's lives. I feel like a lot of people especially people who carry guns daily forget that. You can shoot your gun all day at a piece of paper, but that piece of paper is never going to shoot back at you. Try to imagine yourself in their shoes, someone just pulled a firearm out at you, what do you think you would do? Okay now that you have your answer, I got news for you. You have NO idea what you would do. No one is going to sit back and say, you know, I think 15 shots would've been okay, or 20, or 13 and a half.

This is 100% my opinion, and in my head common sense 100% tells me that this is correct thinking. Anything otherwise tells me that a person who disagrees with this lacks that.
I'm than going ahead of myself honestly and adding, I feel like a lot of people in today's world feels they are able to criticize tons of things such as law enforcement.
It's easy for you to sit back in your comfy cozy chair and say what you would've done. But you weren't in that situation. You don't know. I feel so terrible for these officers and their families. They have mouths to feed & bills to pay like all of us. This is the career they chose. This is how they get treated now. And even more, society now wants to take away their funding. Can you even fathom how stressful that must be?
If you think law enforcement is bad now. Just give it another 5-10, 20 years and you have a serious rude awakening. Cause no one is going to want to do this job.

Last edited:
Seriously?
Anything worth shooting is worth shooting until it goes down.

Unless the "cuz guns" doctrine applies, which is why the federal court granted summary judgement in the Glock case (Draper v. Healey) and would not allow our side to present testimony or evidence.

Because of the way that case was pleaded and argued, there were essentially no issues of fact to rule on. Even ignoring the failure to establish standing, there wasn't any issue about what Glocks looked like when they were loaded or unloaded. The only question before the courts was whether the differences were enough to meet the "plainly indicates" standard, and whether that standard violates due process. The first is arguably factual, but the plaintiffs don't seem to have asserted that there was a plain indication. The second was a matter of law, which can be decided on summary judgement. Note that the case at hand might also be dismissed upon summary judgement, but it hasn't made it to that stage of the process yet.

How fast can YOU squeeze off 4-5 rounds? Put six cops in front of him when he pulls his BB gun, and I would expect them ALL to start firing. Its only going to take a few seconds for multiple officers to squeeze out 31 rounds with adrenaline rushing.

True that the BB gun has no bearing, a gun pointed at a cop is good reason to fire, but do you think he was still standing after the 15th round perforated him? Where are the cams? Amadou Diallo begs to differ with you. Amadou's last words- " Amado anything you ask me to".

Back
Top Bottom