I bought my first Mosin Nagant last night.

After 40 rounds I had enough for one day. But its great. Guns inc has 91/30 for 192 each.

Anybody know where I can find the firing pin gauge? Rifle didn't come with any extras.

I bought one a few weeks ago. So much fun. I have the full size and it shoots to the right from the bayonet.
Found this in the MIL surp forum--http://www.thetruthaboutguns.com/2011/03/ralph/ralphs-guide-to-buying-your-first-mosin-nagant-9130/

Not sure who Boris is. That site sure pointed me in the direction though. Like everything else on the internet, verify it through other avenues before treating it as gospel.

Not sure who Boris is. That site sure pointed me in the direction though. Like everything else on the internet, verify it through other avenues before treating it as gospel.

Put it this way. I don't know him personally but from what I've heard in whispers and through singing minstrels he's a man who's blood is made of cosmoline and he once forged a fully working ak 47 from a bag of instant mashed potatoes and Russian vodka.
Gun rights groups from the other side of the country are constantly posting his shovel gun thread on Facebook. A paintball group I'm in posted it the other day not knowing where it came from. No one believed me when I linked the NES thread.
/hi jack

Lots of good mosin info, I get mine tomorrow AM so I am soaking up all the knowledge I can!!! Anyone in the Woburn area have a go no-go guage and be willing to check mine? I probably only will have this one (that could change) and I didn't want to invest in gauges for a 1 time check. I'll meet you where ever you like :)

Lots of good mosin info, I get mine tomorrow AM so I am soaking up all the knowledge I can!!! Anyone in the Woburn area have a go no-go guage and be willing to check mine? I probably only will have this one (that could change) and I didn't want to invest in gauges for a 1 time check. I'll meet you where ever you like :)

I ordered a set of gauges and should get them on Monday, only problem is I'm away for work all week. If you still need them by next weekend drop me a PM and I can meet you out by MRA.

You must be new lol
Made a ak receiver from a shovel
http://www.northeastshooters.com/vb...9192-diy-shovel-ak-photo-tsunami-warning.html

He also put a bolt action shotgun inside a rpg
http://www.northeastshooters.com/vb...hotgun-photo-calypse-warning.html#post2816697

There's a thread I can't find , but some one got a mosin and the bolt handle was mounted all the way forwards .
Long story short Boris read through all this Russian stuff and found out what the deal was and why there like that . 762 site basically bashed Boris etc etc .

You must be new lol
Made a ak receiver from a shovel
http://www.northeastshooters.com/vb...9192-diy-shovel-ak-photo-tsunami-warning.html

He also put a bolt action shotgun inside a rpg
http://www.northeastshooters.com/vb...hotgun-photo-calypse-warning.html#post2816697

There's a thread I can't find , but some one got a mosin and the bolt handle was mounted all the way forwards .
Long story short Boris read through all this Russian stuff and found out what the deal was and why there like that . 762 site basically bashed Boris etc etc .

Wow.

I ordered a set of gauges and should get them on Monday, only problem is I'm away for work all week. If you still need them by next weekend drop me a PM and I can meet you out by MRA.

Thanks for the offer Mudfish, I'll PM you if I don't get it checked before then !!

I found 2 good quotes about Mosins...
1) "Mosin Nagant"....because sometimes people hide behind $hit

2) If you miss your intended victim, the muzzle flash will set them on fire, then you can track them down by the smell of burning hair and flesh, and once you find them you don't have to waste ammo, you can just stick them with the bayonet.

If you take apart the bolt, you have to align screw cut with same cut on the bolt butt. That is first order, but still check with pin gauge. There is plenty videos on Youtube with all the details on disassemble... If after several shots bolt starts to stick a bit- you have to polish some bolt parts- again plenty of videos on the subject. Mosin could be as simple as is- authentic, or all tricked out with Archangel stock, Timney trigger group, Smith adjustable fron sight and Microclick rear peep sight. I have several Mosins- all different models, but I like them as is and they shoot pretty good.Main thing is to keep an eye on corrosion and prevent by cleaning, even as simple as pouring boiling water thru the funnel down the bore to take out the salts. As I wrote before Windex ammonia or Butch's Bore Shine will neutralize the salts. You can also get all sorts of accessories for Mosin- ammo strips and pouches, belt, cleaning kit, broken shell extractor, chamber insert to shoot 7.62x25 from Mosin...

upasasep.jpg

Yup , You can build them up any way you want .

The only advise I can give you is to make more room in your gun safe,,, its seem mosins are like potato chips...you can't eat(have) just one!!
Get a butt pad from ebay and a trigger spring,,,,,it helps a bit and enjoy!!!

The only advise I can give you is to make more room in your gun safe,,, its seem mosins are like potato chips...you can't eat(have) just one!!
Get a butt pad from ebay and a trigger spring,,,,,it helps a bit and enjoy!!!

Good advice from Tracer1951. I have a trigger slack spring from C & R Surplus Springs on my Mosin -- did wonders, and a screw-on butt pad that replaces the steel pad. While the screw-on rubber pad doesn't add too much protection from recoil, it does lengthen the pull on the stock by about an inch, giving a better sight picture and a more satisfying shooting experience.

To the OP . . . if you're shooting surplus (aka "corrosive") ammo, make sure you follow standard Mosin cleaning procedure. I start with a water-based cleaner, then some Hoppes #9, and then finish with oil. I've also started carrying windex wipes in my range bag so I can make a quick pass with those at the range and get rid of the water-attracting salts left behind by the corrosive primers.

Lastly, do be sure and post an "after action report" once you've shot the M44. I'm taking mine to the range tomorrow for its first outing. I'd like to compare notes.

- Brad

if you watch iraqvetran YouTube videos he shows you how to do a trigger job on the mosin .
I did it with mine and even with out the spring to take up the slack it's real nice clean break.
Only takes 15 mins or so with a files a polishing cloth on a dremel.
He also explains how to fix it if you take to much off .

Back
Top Bottom