• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

I bought my first Mosin Nagant last night.

Be prepared to grin ear to ear and have a sore shoulder for a few days.

I think the M44 is my favorite right now and I never thought I would be into old guns at all. I have a friend who's a bad influence....

It's a beauty. It appears to be pretty clean, but make sure the barrel, chamber and bolt are free of cosmolene. It's best to disassemble the bolt and get all the gunk out, unless you bought it from someone who has already done that.

If you do have to disassemble the bolt, you will want to check the firing pin with the little guage before shooting.

That is a great looking M44. Congratulations.

No recoil pad! You can't have the other guys commenting on your man gun, and then have them look at you funny when they see the pad!!

Nice purchase, by the way. Looks like its in great shape.

You guys are making feel sacrilegious (or maybe just sissyish) - I put one of these on:
PACHMAYR SLIP ON PAD(2).JPG

Really, though, the recoil from the Mosin pales in comparison to my 12g. I should really swap it out.

Last edited:
[laugh2]

Do yourself a favor. Take it out there this weekend in is current form. No sights, no maxi recoil pad, and no pistol grip.
Envision yourself as the original Ruskie issued the rifle, blowing holes in Nazi's with the exact firearm you are using. You'll end up appreciating the M44 for what it is. Keep thinking about it while you are washing the corrosive ammo salts out of the barrel, just as the Russians used to.
If you still want to change it, its up to you. But for me, I won't change mine at all, given the potential history of the firearm.

Last edited:
Congrats! Shoot it standing will be much less recoil. I advice to at least separate metal from wood first and melt off Cosmo line with hair drier.Mosins s tend to shoot high. So sink front sight in a bit. If you use corrosive ammo wash salts after in barrel and bolt face with wind ex or better butches bore shine... good luck.

Oh. And to get the Cosmo out of the stock, remove the barrel obviously and put the stock outside on a hot day. The sun works really well. Just go out every 15 minutes and wipe her down.

Nice Mosin! I'm hoping to get mine out to the range for the first time this weekend too.

There was a "sporterized" mosin with that pistol grip on it on armslist the other day for $300.[sad2]

Oh. And to get the Cosmo out of the stock, remove the barrel obviously and put the stock outside on a hot day. The sun works really well. Just go out every 15 minutes and wipe her down.

I've heard that putting it in a thick black trash bag accelerates the "bleeding" too. Never tried it though.

Advice....Clean it.

They are great fun......there's only one way to clean them though....LOL [grin]

10511d1273608091-lucky-shot-muzzle-flash-renamed-lets-see-yours-m44-flash-small.jpg

*disclaimer.....do not try this at home until you actually HAVE cleaned your rifle. [wink]

Back
Top Bottom