"I Am Adam Lanza's mother." (ARTICLE)

If that kid had aspergers then its DEAD on.... a coworker's daughter had this, and she cracked a large televison over his head because she wanted the "red" fork... not the "blue" one.. True story. No Emotional feeling, empathy, or reason at ALL.

This is not indicative of the entire spectrum.

If you think that that's typical of all kids (or adults) with Asperger's, I'd highly recommend a little reading before you go jumping to conclusions. Yes, it fits for some, but it's completely the opposite of how others act. It's not like smallpox or the flu, where you have it or you don't. It's referred to as a spectrum for a reason.

Correct. A family member of mine is believed to have Asperger's. However, the symptoms entail social inhibitions and egocentrism, not violent outbursts.

Deinstitutionalization has had a lot of effects. For many patients it was unquestionably a good thing, since they can easily live in society when their illness is controlled by medication.

However, we went too far. There is still a need for asylums to house the sickest patients...the ones who cannot live in the community, can't take care of themselves, can't control their impulses, etc. There were a lot of mentally ill people thrust onto the streets when the state run institutions closed and many of them are still on the streets or in prison.

The situation is complicated by the fact that you can't really have patients work anymore. No one that ever worked at an asylum where the patients participated in maintaining their surroundings said it was a bad idea. Actually most said it helped them enormously. But in an effort to avoid exploiting patients for their labor they were essentially forced into being completely non-productive which drives up costs and doesn't help them feel any better. I think it also helps set an artificially clear distinction on who should be in or out...if you're sick enough to sit around all day and do nothing then you're sick enough to be in.

I don't care to get into the funding debate because I probably agree that it shouldn't be funded by the state. The point is that we need some of these types of institutions back to improve access to mental health care for people who need it. The fact is that a lot of the state hospitals were just starting to come out of some pretty dark times when deinstitutionalization started and they were all closed. Nightmare facilities were closed right along with facilities that had significantly better records. We're seeing the fallout of this now.

What i do know is that the coworkers daughter was very volatile, was diagnosed with aspergers, and this womans description matched exactly. I never said ALL aspergers were like this...

I just read the linked article and am thinking that the authors son is a psychopath. If there's anyone here who works in the field of psychology, perhaps they could explain what they think the best treatments for psychopathy are.

Soooo, now the police are saying he killed himself with a 10mm through his skull and they found the bullet lodged in the wall? I thought he had all 9mm? WTF.

Soooo, now the police are saying he killed himself with a 10mm through his skull and they found the bullet lodged in the wall? I thought he had all 9mm? WTF.

The New York Times says he had a .223 Bushmaster a .10mm Glock and a .9mm Sig Sauer. Been trying to locate a .10mm. It must shoot needles.

Ignoring their ignorance it may be he had a 10mm Glock

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Fact is, Gun Control is a red herring as its cheaper to implement than proper care for mental health issues.

As republicans, minarchist libertarians, or whatever the F you call yourself... unless your an anarchist you need to accept this is a problem that needs to be handled on a societal level.

I'm not going to make suggestions as to how, frankly I'm probably not smart enough too beyond throwing shit at the wall... But its something to think about.

EDIT: OK, fuggit, here's a suggestion... since so many are in lock up anyway, maybe we have more varying degrees of lockup? And that realize cost savings by being part of the prison system?

Last edited:
Deinstitutionalization has had a lot of effects. For many patients it was unquestionably a good thing, since they can easily live in society when their illness is controlled by medication.

However, we went too far. There is still a need for asylums to house the sickest patients...the ones who cannot live in the community, can't take care of themselves, can't control their impulses, etc. There were a lot of mentally ill people thrust onto the streets when the state run institutions closed and many of them are still on the streets or in prison.

The situation is complicated by the fact that you can't really have patients work anymore. No one that ever worked at an asylum where the patients participated in maintaining their surroundings said it was a bad idea. Actually most said it helped them enormously. But in an effort to avoid exploiting patients for their labor they were essentially forced into being completely non-productive which drives up costs and doesn't help them feel any better. I think it also helps set an artificially clear distinction on who should be in or out...if you're sick enough to sit around all day and do nothing then you're sick enough to be in.

I don't care to get into the funding debate because I probably agree that it shouldn't be funded by the state. The point is that we need some of these types of institutions back to improve access to mental health care for people who need it. The fact is that a lot of the state hospitals were just starting to come out of some pretty dark times when deinstitutionalization started and they were all closed. Nightmare facilities were closed right along with facilities that had significantly better records. We're seeing the fallout of this now.

A very close friend of mine is a clinical psychologist at a locked down, inpatient mental health facility in Taiwan, and their patients have jobs like cleaning, landscaping, and other tasks. At first I was shocked and then she explained to me why.

What I'm concerned with is that last night the President said he would use the powers of his office to effect "change" (that again) to America. I'm not too concerned with what they do with the mentally ill...as they are probably mostly homeless and on the streets, but what do you all think is coming in the form of "change"?

A very close friend of mine is a clinical psychologist at a locked down, inpatient mental health facility in Taiwan, and their patients have jobs like cleaning, landscaping, and other tasks. At first I was shocked and then she explained to me why.

Kings Park Psychiatric Center out on Long Island used to be like it's own city back in the day. They were actually a self sufficient entity, growing their own food and generating their own heat and power. They had patients working in all aspects of running the facility.

I think it's important not to exploit patients but there's certainly no reason that they should not contribute, as best they can, to their own living situation. Sane people need a purpose...and so do the insane!

(NaturalNews) In mass shootings involving guns and mind-altering medications, politicians immediately seek to blame guns but never the medication. Nearly every mass shooting that has taken place in America over the last two decades has a link to psychiatric medication, and it appears today's tragic event is headed in the same direction.

According to ABC News, Adam Lanza, the alleged shooter, has been labeled as having "mental illness" and a "personality disorder." These are precisely the words typically heard in a person who is being "treated" with mind-altering psychiatric drugs.

One of the most common side effects of psychiatric drugs is violent outbursts and thoughts of suicide.

http://www.naturalnews.com/038353_gun_control_psychiatric_drugs_Adam_Lanza.html#ixzz2FKGOlVx5

(NaturalNews) In mass shootings involving guns and mind-altering medications, politicians immediately seek to blame guns but never the medication. Nearly every mass shooting that has taken place in America over the last two decades has a link to psychiatric medication, and it appears today's tragic event is headed in the same direction.

According to ABC News, Adam Lanza, the alleged shooter, has been labeled as having "mental illness" and a "personality disorder." These are precisely the words typically heard in a person who is being "treated" with mind-altering psychiatric drugs.

One of the most common side effects of psychiatric drugs is violent outbursts and thoughts of suicide.

http://www.naturalnews.com/038353_gun_control_psychiatric_drugs_Adam_Lanza.html#ixzz2FKGOlVx5
The risk here is twofold:
1. We throw anyone who's ever taken such a drug and had the desired effect of treating whatever ailed them under the bus and allowing government trample their right of self defense.

2. We open a door to declaring anyone who is "belligerent" (taken from NDAA) to the state as "mentally ill" and thus their right of self defense is null and void.

I think it is important to put it in the face of the gun-grabbers that we can tell they aren't serious about "doing something" about mass killings because they are still talking about guns rather than the balance of their political and social ideology that, if anything other than the killer is to blame, are the only the things outside the killer himself that can be said to be causes of this event.

GroupHug.jpg

I agree with all of this. Ever since they closed all the hospitals more and more heinous shit has been happening. These patients are either out roaming around somewhere, or if they're lucky, they're getting an outreach worker seeing them periodically, but in a lot of cases its not nearly the supervision they need. There are a lot of people out there on the edge. There were obviously some bad hospitals but the way the system works now is byzantine empire shit. The way mental health is in this country, both the patients and society are suffering as a whole as a result of it. The way the system is now its just a bunch of people "pushing the problem off on someone else" as soon as they can.

-Mike

Remember the local kid w/Aspergers who stabbed his classmate to death in the boys room a few years ago in his HS? He was "brilliant" also. The brain is a hard thing to understand when it malfunctions. Unfortunately we have anti-gun liberals who will use this incident to focus on guns, not the issue of mental health.

And CT. vetoed a bill that would have made it easier for the State to lock up mentally ill people recently. The ultimate responsibility rests w/the parents. I wouldn`t want to have to make the decision to commit my kid but if they`re violent or displaying violent tendencies towards themselves or others someone has to make a decision.
http://connecticut.cbslocal.com/201...efeated-months-before-deadly-school-shooting/

Last edited:
http://www.wnd.com/2007/07/42434/

From Columbine to Virginia Tech, every time another headline-making mass murderer is discovered to have taken antidepressants or other psychiatric drugs, rumors and speculation abound regarding the possible connection between the medications and the violence.

That us a chilling story and could have been written by one of my sister-in-laws. My youngest nephew is mentally ill and has threatened to kill his mother and siblings several times but he is manageable when on his meds. We never allowed him to be around our son and now the young man is in jail while my sister-in-law fights the legal battle to have him released. My Wife knows that this twisted young man will kill his mother, her sister or worse someday.....makes me sick to think about it

Back
Top Bottom