Hunting

SS1

How many actually have a 3-5 rnd Hunting mag for the sporting/hunting rifle of choice ,
Since hunting regulations only only allows for 3-5 in most states

Just insert a block in mag so it cant take anymore. Or a dowel in a shotgun. I wouldn't go out of my way to spend money on that.

Last edited:
In the family arsenal we have a Stag AR in 6.8 SPC for deer hunting in NH and Maine. I have 2 mags that hold 5 rounds. However, the mags are made so that they won't latch in when fully loaded and the bolt closed. This way the gun can't hold 6 rounds. Jack.

I have one that came with a 3 rounder and another that came with a 4.

I have 2 4-round mags that the gun came with. Haven’t had the time to hunt anyways, so meh...

You can even get 5 round enbloc clips for your M1 if you want. And because they are designed to act like a normal enbloc clip, they actually force you into 4+1.

I use a 10 round Lancer mag in my 300blk in New Hampshire. NH law restricts you to 5 rounds IN THE MAG, not a 5 round mag.

Yup, this right here. Just avoid the temptation when unloading the rifle to store that sixth round in the magazine. That creates a problem. Just stick it in your pocket and you're still good.

Thank You...
Have the Mossberg patrol that comes with the 10 rnd mag Wanted to find out more on Hunting with it.......

I use 5-rd en blocs in my CMP Special Grade .308 M1 Garand and a 5-rd mag in my M1 Carbine for NH deer season.

I consider myself pretty up to speed on MA and NH hunting regulations and am obviously aware of the 3 round cap / plug on migratory water foul but that is federal regulation. Does mass and NH restrict round capacity for small game, deer, upland birds etc? I've never read anything about limits in either state. Maybe I'm missing something.

Edit.....Just searched nh regs. The limit is on semi auto rifle only.....says no more than 5 rounds in the mag but nothing about limiting the mag mechanically. Just don't load more than 5 and hunt on.

Last edited:
Hunting rifle is an internal 4+1 mag, shottie stays plugged to 3.
Do you stay plugged to three for waterfowl only? I'm not aware of a limit for shotguns on Upland game small game or deer.

How many actually have a 3-5 rnd Hunting mag for the sporting/hunting rifle of choice ,
Since hunting regulations only only allows for 3-5 in most states
I have several. I use my rifle a lot during the winter season for coyote and figured it was easier to grab a few small mags than rig a larger one. Saves time if you have a meet up with a warden.

Do you stay plugged to three for waterfowl only? I'm not aware of a limit for shotguns on Upland game small game or deer.

Nah, I just don't take the plug out.
I hunt NY, so I'm restricted to 5 rounds I think and I just don't have a rod the right length and couldn't be assed to get one.

I consider myself pretty up to speed on MA and NH hunting regulations and am obviously aware of the 3 round cap / plug on migratory water foul but that is federal regulation. Does mass and NH restrict round capacity for small game, deer, upland birds etc? I've never read anything about limits in either state. Maybe I'm missing something.
I don't think there is a capacity restriction for legally owned mags for hunting in MA. I believe it is 5+1 in Maine.

I don't think there is a capacity restriction for legally owned mags for hunting in MA. I believe it is 5+1 in Maine.
I looked thru the abstracts this morning & didn't see anything mentioned
When I searched for it the only thing I found was from 2012
Hunting with Rifles: During the specified hunting seasons, it is legal to hunt birds and mammals in Massachusetts with a rifle of any caliber and with a magazine capacity of any size, unless the hunt is for deer, wild turkeys, migratory game birds or gray squirrel in wildlife management zones 10 through 14.

I keep the plug in too. If i cant get my pheasant/grouse with 3, no way are the 4th or 5th going to matter. They dont fly in a group like the waterfowl do.

I have several. I use my rifle a lot during the winter season for coyote and figured it was easier to grab a few small mags than rig a larger one. Saves time if you have a meet up with a warden.
That was my thinking. My 308 came with a 10 round mag that takes AR10's .... But have seen them for the Garand, the AR15 and AR10, 303 Enfield .......

Back
Top Bottom