• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Hunting ban in Middleboro

The town cannot ban hunting on State lands. They may be referring to municipal properties.
Sure they can, because what happens is they arrest you and you have to fight it showing they don't have the authority. I went through the same BS in my town, even though the rule goes against state law I don't have standing to fight it. So if I violate the ordinance they either ignore the rule and ask me to leave and if I don't I get hit with trespass and get arrested or they charge me with the rule and I get arrested, either way I lose my job due to the arrest.

Sure they can, because what happens is they arrest you and you have to fight it showing they don't have the authority. I went through the same BS in my town, even though the rule goes against state law I don't have standing to fight it. So if I violate the ordinance they either ignore the rule and ask me to leave and if I don't I get hit with trespass and get arrested or they charge me with the rule and I get arrested, either way I lose my job due to the arrest.
Are you referring to MA or NH?

I suspect that the town can pass a no discharge ordinance, which would effectively ban hunting on state land in town.
One of our hunter ed instructors or (former) EPOs can correct me, but I'm pretty sure at least some of the state lands supersede discharge laws of that sort...

Last edited:
Thats the problem right there. A government, no matter local, state, federal, will make up some BS law or ruling knowing it will be fought out in court. The government has deeper pockets than the average Joe. They’ll keep fighting or delaying until they win/lose, or the other party runs out of money and gives up. My feeling is, if the plaintiff does indeed win, then the government defendant should pay all the other party’s legal fees. That might make the government more accountable.

This would take away an enormous portion of shotgun deer hunting on the south shore where it's already nearly impossible to accomplish and according to the state the deer population is out of control.

Middleboro has always been the place to go for shotgun season

I suspect that the town can pass a no discharge ordinance, which would effectively ban hunting on state land in town.
This is interesting. I was surprised to learn a few years back that my town has a no discharge ordinance since it does not seem to be obeyed or enforced. I hear gunshots all the way through bird and deer season. I personally talked with an LEO sitting in his cruiser with an unloaded shotgun in my hand after walking out of the woods and through a small park. All he asked was if I'd had any luck this season.

Happy that this seems to be the case but it was definitely a head scratcher to read about the ordinance in place

This is interesting. I was surprised to learn a few years back that my town has a no discharge ordinance since it does not seem to be obeyed or enforced. I hear gunshots all the way through bird and deer season. I personally talked with an LEO sitting in his cruiser with an unloaded shotgun in my hand after walking out of the woods and through a small park. All he asked was if I'd had any luck this season.

Happy that this seems to be the case but it was definitely a head scratcher to read about the ordinance in place
Something about a fellow man putting in the work hunting to put sustenance on the table garners some respect I would think.

Seems to be the new Democratic way of justice. Just take them to court and let you piss your hard money away fighting for your rights
Thats the problem right there. A government, no matter local, state, federal, will make up some BS law or ruling knowing it will be fought out in court. The government has deeper pockets than the average Joe. They’ll keep fighting or delaying until they win/lose, or the other party runs out of money and gives up. My feeling is, if the plaintiff does indeed win, then the government defendant should pay all the other party’s legal fees. That might make the government more accountable.
It's called LAWFARE.

Morons... in three years the number of motor vehicle vs white tail incidents will quadruple from the currently ridiculous rate they have now.

Hell, I remember my sister inlaw warning people leaving their house in Rochester, 25 years ago, to watch out for deer. I thought she was being dramatic until my brother told me that she had hit two deer in two years.

Boxford tried that crap.
A landowner turned a good sized piece of land over to the state and the town ran down right away and posted it.
My brother in law went right to town hall and told them take the signs down ,now .
They did.

No they can't! There is case law on that, Snowling vs Teasdale. That states cities and towns have no jurisdiction over state lands. Now what can happen is like what happen in Tyngsborough where the drunken state senator from Lowell put a one line amendment to a bill prohibiting hunting on Flints Pond and the idiots from Fakers and Wankers knew about it and did nothing to squash the amendment. Yeah, Wayne MacCallum at his best. FU Fakers and Wankers.

I mean. Not to be a blowhard but at what point does the morally and ethically grounded man decide to just ignore laws that have no business being passed. If you’re in the woods, and by any commonly understood measure you are not poaching… I’d say you have every right to be there, and defend yourself as needed.

Back
Top Bottom