• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Hunting Survival Kit

I wanted to know what all of you include in your hunting survival kits. When answering, what I am looking for is, you aren't carrying a full backpack. Think small, belt-worn pouches.

This is what is in mine.
Waterproof matches
Magnesium firestarter
2 types of tinder (dryer lint and vaseline mix, and birchbark)
flashlight
extra batteries
hard, small candle
foil blanket
25 feet of paracord
bandaids
antiseptic cream
guaze
tweezers
antiseptic wipes
medical tape
paper
pencil
snack (20g protein bars)
water purifying tablets
extra traveling paper (T.P.)

Anything else you guys carry?

Beyond this "kit" i always have on me, multiple knives and compasses.

When I am backpacking, I carry alot more, but this is more of a smaller land plot hunting, such as a couple spots in the 800 acre range that I frequent.

Lunch
Cell Phone

Seriously why bother with anything else ?
This ain't Montana, you can walk out of most anywhere in a few hours.

Compass. As mentioned, you can walk out of almost anywhere in NE, but it goes faster if you can be more precise about the direction.

I bet if you actually checked most hunters, you'd find some smokes, a flask, some matches, and maybe a water bottle once in a while.

Lunch
Cell Phone

Seriously why bother with anything else ?
This ain't Montana, you can walk out of most anywhere in a few hours.

This. Trail mix, some peanut butter crackers, water, maybe one of those little family radios if I'm with a group. We check in on the hour then shut them down unless we hear shots in our area. Small AA flashlight if it's likely to go into extra innings.

I'd add a tarp or poncho for shelter - all it takes is a little bit of rain or snow and some wind to start the onset of hypothermia.

Add a closed cell foam pad - even if it was just a small square to keep your butt off the ground. It will help defeat conductive heat loss. Maybe you already have something like this to sit on while hunting?

I'm not a big fan of the magnesium fire starter - at least not in its typical configuration.

Extra redundancy for fire starting is never a bad thing; ferrocerium rod, lighters, etc.

What do you plan on purifying water in with your tablets? The purification tablets I'm familiar with take longer to work when the water is cold. I'd bet I could start a fire and purify water faster by boiling than waiting the recommended time for chemical purification. Regardless, with either method you need a container to hold the water.

I'd ditch the medical tape and carry some duct tape instead.

You might be able to walk out, but then again, you might not - tweak an ankle or wretch your back and that 1.25 mile hike back to the truck could be more than you bargained for. Especially on a night like tonight! It might be all you can do to collect enough firewood to last the night before it gets dark. (That is another whole discussion) If you are already hurt, moving at night is not in your best interest.

One of the most important things is what you leave behind - you plans. Tell someone where you are going, when you expect to return, and what to do if you are late. The sooner they start looking for you the better!

Last edited:
I usually stuff the pockets of my hunting coat with a bunch of crap... I used to carry about 12 shells, but now I figure I only need about 9 (total.) I have a bag with some matches, mole-skin, and a waterproof match tube with small mirror. I have a knife, map, compass, waterbottle, sandwich, usually some candy bars and a soda, drag-rope, space blanket, deer grunt caller, small L.e.d. headlamp, and lately -a camera and binoculars - though I rarely use them.

I guess most of that doesn't go in a "survival kit," but it's usually what I have when I'm going deep into the woods.

I'd add a tarp or poncho for shelter - all it takes is a little bit of rain or snow and some wind to start the onset of hypothermia.

Add a closed cell foam pad - even if it was just a small square to keep your butt off the ground. It will help defeat conductive heat loss. Maybe you already have something like this to sit on while hunting?

I'm not a big fan of the magnesium fire starter - at least not in its typical configuration.

Extra redundancy for fire starting is never a bad thing; ferrocerium rod, lighters, etc.

What do you plan on purifying water in with your tablets? The purification tablets I'm familiar with take longer to work when the water is cold. I'd bet I could start a fire and purify water faster by boiling than waiting the recommended time for chemical purification. Regardless, with either method you need a container to hold the water.

I'd ditch the medical tape and carry some duct tape instead.

You might be able to walk out, but then again, you might not - tweak an ankle or wretch your back and that 1.25 mile hike back to the truck could be more than you bargained for. Especially on a night like tonight! It might be all you can do to collect enough firewood to last the night before it gets dark. (That is another whole discussion) If you are already hurt, moving at night is not in your best interest.

One of the most important things is what you leave behind - you plans. Tell someone where you are going, where you are going, when you expect to return, and what to do if you are late. The sooner they start looking for you the better!

All good stuff. I also usually try and tell people where I'm going and when to expect me back. If you're going with a group of guys, you should discuss a rendez-vous point and expected arrival time before splitting up.

I usally take

1. whatever weapon im using Shotgun/BP/Bow
2. Stuff to field dress a deer
3. Dip
4. Water (bottle or two)
5. maybe a book?

Its new england, I highly doubt that you can't see some sign of civilization, Rock walls, posted signs, fences. If you follow posted signs you'll find your way out most posted signs are usally on the edge of property. Once again fences are edges and rockwall used to be property boundries. MA was at one point back before the civil was completely deforested, thats why we dont see virgin trees hardly at all and why there are rockwalls in the middle of a forest.

In the game pouch in the back of my vest I keep a box of matches, bottle of water, a trauma dressing (very versatile for medical purposes, tissue, toilet paper, or to help get a fire going), and usually a pack of crackers or a granola bar for a snack. I know that around here, the only way Im getting into trouble, is if I get injured where I can no longer move, so thats what I plan for.

I always have my camlepack while hunting, one compartment is dedicated for this. I keep a compass, a lighter, book of matches, fire starter, poncho, space blanket, paracord, and small first aid kit in it.

I normally have my
FAK
Rope Drag
Knife
Sharpener
poncho
H2O Bottle
Snacks
spare Ammo
Headlamp (AA)
Flash Light (AA)
and my survival kit, even though anyplace in New England can be walked out of in a short period of time if I am injured and can't make it out I want
Shelter
Fire
Water
one night in the elements can kill you quick in new england

I usually always carry a basic kit no matter where I hunt whether it is remote or someplace I can walk out of. I figure if I always go out with a basic kit I'll have it no matter where I am in case something bad happens. If it is somewhere you can walk out of in an hour or so ,but a secluded ,rural area or park off a main route what if you get injured on the walk out?

Our campin Vermont has a direction that can take you to a road in 2 directions,but, other directions it s like 80,000 acres and you can walk for a long time if a blizzard doesnt hit. Quick story ,one of the regulars who lives up there and an Army National Guard Mountain Warfare/Survivival instructor was out hunting and tracking,knew the area quite well. I blizzard blew in on our mountain and he got caught with little or no visability and had to spend a night out in a shelter he built. he had a few essentials and knew enough not to panic. He walked out the next day.

I take what others have mentioned: Waterf]proof matches/firesteel, Powerbars,trailmix, pressure bandage ,quickclot,A package or two of celox for traumatic bleeding and some first aid stuff, compass ,knife water and poncho liner or space blanket. I started carrrying upgraded medical after hearing about a hunter accidentally cut himself a little more remote than a walk..

I carry the same kit hunting I carry in my car, 24 hours, self sufficient with out having to move.

One of the most important things is what you leave behind - you plans. Tell someone where you are going, when you expect to return, and what to do if you are late. The sooner they start looking for you the better!

One of the most important pieces of advice in the thread.

Everything mentioned above, except water purification tablets. Red the side of the bottle. Those things can kill.
I just boil The water in a small metal container.

Were I hunt there is usually enough trash there to build a mobile home out of old refrigerators if I needed one.

I always start the season carrying all sorts of crap and whittle it down as the season goes by.
Right now in my small pack I have my knife, a small plastic zip lock bag with some gum, tissue,granola bars, chocolate bars,matches,lighter, two hand warmers and a compass.
I also carry about 8 feet of rope for dragging,a knife sharpener,two -one gallon zip locks, head light, small Mag light, small water bottle and an extra box each of slugs and buck.

i only really go bird hunting at bolton there are some places that if you wandered into a marsh you could get stuck in there or something.

i bring my knife a lighter and 2 water bottles and i have a vest with like 12-15 shells i figure if i get hurt and stuck out there one someone will find me rather soon two if i wait till night and start popping off a few rounds cops or epo's will show up eventualy

firstaidkit4c.gif

You folks take a lot of stuff hunting. I would think a bandaid in the wallet and a water bottle or thermos left somewhere you can get to it later should do just fine. I agree with the guy who said to keep a few extra shells for signal shots if necessary.

Having had a broad head stuck in the leg I'll take more than a band aid in the wallet. Frankly if all it needs is a band aid I won't bother

Back
Top Bottom