Hunting in Northern NH, are there generally camps hunters go to the night before?

You want us to shoot the deer and dress it for you too?

No thanks, I've just spent the better part of this morning trying to find a legal spot to pitch a tent... I'm new to this scene, and was hoping for some guidance. I've been to several different websites, but every campground I pull up, is closed...

No thanks, I've just spent the better part of this morning trying to find a legal spot to pitch a tent... I'm new to this scene, and was hoping for some guidance. I've been to several different websites, but every campground I pull up, is closed...

Because it is damn near Thanksgiving in NH, shits cold.

If you don't see the town you want to take your rifle for a walk in on the list where you can't, then you can.

Because it is damn near Thanksgiving in NH, shits cold.

If you don't see the town you want to take your rifle for a walk in on the list where you can't, then you can.

So is there pretty much nowhere to pitch a tent then? Should I just expect to stay at my house, and head up early? I always heard people stayed at a camp during deer season, and would venture out at dawn.

I live close enough to Nottingham where I could just trek out from my house, I was just wondering if there was a place to camp out in that area.

- - - Updated - - -

Pawtuckaway State Park is open to hunting and has been productive for us in past years. And you would have a hard time getting lost there. Jack.

Even though they're closed to campers, can I just park my truck at a lot there, and head into the woods? Any recommendation on where to park if that's not the case?

So is there pretty much nowhere to pitch a tent then? Should I just expect to stay at my house, and head up early? I always heard people stayed at a camp during deer season, and would venture out at dawn.

I live close enough to Nottingham where I could just trek out from my house, I was just wondering if there was a place to camp out in that area.

- - - Updated - - -

Even though they're closed to campers, can I just park my truck at a lot there, and head into the woods? Any recommendation on where to park if that's not the case?

The only hunting camps I know of are people that own land with a cabin on it. If you live close enough, just go home at the end of the day. It's not like NH has any sweet shake joints you can hit while you are up here "hunting".

As others have said, I would recommend you find someone willing to take you around for your first few rifle walks. I live in the woods and can hunt in my back yard, and I am still going out with some guys in town that know whats what better then me.

- - - Updated - - -

This

There's plenty of places south of laconia that allow rifles.

why can't you just hike a few miles out into the woods and pitch a friggin' tent? pack in/pack out, don't crap up someone's land, extinguish your fire every day before setting off to hunt.

Find a hiking trail, follow it. wader a good several hundred yards off the trail and set up camp. Handheld GPS units are cheap these days.

why can't you just hike a few miles out into the woods and pitch a friggin' tent? pack in/pack out, don't crap up someone's land, extinguish your fire every day before setting off to hunt.

Find a hiking trail, follow it. wader a good several hundred yards off the trail and set up camp. Handheld GPS units are cheap these days.

I am not trying to harsh the OP, but if he were the type to be willing to figure this out, he wouldn't have multiple threads asking about how to hunt in NH.

I am not trying to harsh the OP, but if he were the type to be willing to figure this out, he wouldn't have multiple threads asking about how to hunt in NH.

No offense taken, I wasn't sure if you could just pitch a tent wherever you wanted... Especially seeing as you don't own the land.

Also I have two threads, asking different questions. I figured it would be easier for the reader to keep track of what's being discussed if different questions, are posted in there own respective separate thread. Also, if you look at the dates of each, they were created considerably far apart from each other.

Last edited:

You could, you would likely be breaking laws somewhere but the odds of getting caught are probably minimal. Fire permit would be one, potential damage to peoples land would be another unless it were public land.

You could also google winter camping in NH. http://www.nhtourguide.com/campgrounds/campgrounds_winter_camping.htm

You could, you would likely be breaking laws somewhere but the odds of getting caught are probably minimal. Fire permit would be one, potential damage to peoples land would be another unless it were public land.

This is precisely what I was trying to avoid...

In my mind, I figured I couldn't just pitch a tent in a park that's closed to camping for the season... And any other random piece of woods seemed sketchy as I Don't know who owned it...

I've camped at Ramblewood Cabins and Campground up in Pittsburg the last two years at the end of Sept/early October. It's a pretty decent place, basically a big field/hill overlooking First Connecticut Lake. They have heated bathrooms and showers in the main building, as well as wifi. I believe they're open year round, but I'd give them a call first.

At least for me, cell service has often been non-existent up there, something to keep in mind when heading into the woods. The woods are pretty big up there, it's pretty easy to get turned around, and there might not be anyone around to notice that your truck has been in the same spot on the side of the road for a couple days if you don't make it back. Definitely bring a map/compass (and know how to use them), a whistle, and let someone know where you're going each day. If you're not sure exactly where you're going to go, at least tell someone which road you're going to hunt off of and when you're going to be back. When you park and finally decide where you're going to go into the woods, just put a note with some details in a zip-lock and stick it under your windshield wiper.

Have fun!

www.ramblewoodcabins.com

GET A GPS. And a bubble compass. The Garmin Oregon 600 is on sale for just over 200 bucks at cabelas right now. A retarded monkey could use it. I've been hunting a long time and wouldn't leave the house without one. Along with getting you home it will give you the confidence to head out into the deep woods. Leaving the road hunters long behind. Also be prepared to spend the night in the woods if push comes to shove. And let someone know where you'll be hunting just in case. You never know. I slipped off a giant fallen log covered in moss in Oregon once, rifle and pack broke my fall(at least 5 feet) I was lucky, could have been knocked out or broke something. Getting home safe is priority one. Believe me you can get turned around in a hurry in the big woods. Good luck. And shoot some does, they taste better and it's needed.

Lots of info here.

I'm not in NH, nor do I hunt there. I am in VT, and have hunted since I was about 12 (60 now).

A GPS is a good idea. Fire it up, learn how to use it before going into the woods. Carry spare batteries. AMHIK (both of these)

It's also a good idea to get a topographical map of the area where you're hunting, and a decent compass. Don't need anything too fancy, just what a boy scout would use.

As to camping, state laws vary on that, so check them. For a fire, check with the local fire dep't, or forest service if you're hunting on federal land (like National Forest).

Do your homework on the rules and laws.

And, know that we might rib you a little, don't sweat, we're laughing with you, not at you.

No offense taken, I wasn't sure if you could just pitch a tent wherever you wanted... Especially seeing as you don't own the land.

New Hampshire 101: unless land is posted otherwise, it is open to non-motorized recreation.

Of course it's best to find the owner and seek permission, but that takes a little more planning that just, "I'm gonna wander up north somewhere and look for some place to hunt where I've never even been... should I bring a tent, or stay in a motel?"

For your camping idea, keep in mind it was 19 degrees in Pittsburg, NH today. I camped out in a hammock a couple weeks ago for my moose hunt, it got down to about 30 at night. I was warm enough at night for the most part but the mornings were damn chilly.

That's where I've been looking at! Now the million dollar question is, where can I pitch a tent around there? I mean I could just sleep at my house and leave early in the morning... But I was really hoping to spend a couple nights outside with a campfire... I suppose I could use my yard with a firepit, but that's no fun... haha

All the campgrounds I've been looking at closed the third week of October. Any advice on where I could pitch a tent near Pawtuckaway State Park? Also my bolt action .308 is legal there correct? I don't see Nottingham in the list of towns that don't allow rifles.
Look, keep it simple. Sleep at home, get up early and hunt the park. Stay away from the picnic tables. No camping allowed. Rifle is fine. From anywhere in there, walk southeast to get to the park road. Get out before dark. Look at Google Earth. You have a compass and know how to use it, right? We'll be watching the lost and found for you in the local paper. Good luck. Jack.

Look, keep it simple. Sleep at home, get up early and hunt the park. Stay away from the picnic tables. No camping allowed. Rifle is fine. From anywhere in there, walk southeast to get to the park road. Get out before dark. Look at Google Earth. You have a compass and know how to use it, right? We'll be watching the lost and found for you in the local paper. Good luck. Jack.

A lot of people are assuming I'm walking in without having gear... I get it though, I'm new so I'm sure it's happened to other people before... lol.

I have a compass, GPS, and Smartphone, I know how to use them all. I've decided to go to Pawtuckaway State Park, I'll stay at my house and head out at dawn. Anyone know if there's a decent amount of Deer there? Oh and I'll also be wearing blaze orange, so don't worry about that. I plan on going out Saturday morning, and if no luck Sunday morning, and I'll also be taking a trip out the following weekend! Wish me luck guys. now that we've cleared the air of a lot of things, and you guys have a better idea of where I'm at, any final advice for me going in?

Last edited:
A lot of people are assuming I'm walking in without having gear... I get it though, I'm new so I'm sure it's happened to other people before... lol.

I have a compass, GPS, and Smartphone, I know how to use them all. I've decided to go to Pawtuckaway State Park. Anyone know if there's a decent amount of Deer there? Oh and I'll also be wearing blaze orange, so don't worry about that. I plan on going out Saturday morning, and if no luck Sunday morning, and I'll also be taking a trip out the following weekend! Wish me luck guys. now that we've cleared the air of a lot of things, and you guys have a better idea of where I'm at, any final advice for me going in?

Have fun, enjoy the wilderness and keep your eyes open for non-deer animals. One thing I love about hunting is seeing owls, hawks, turkey, fisher, fox, otters, goose and all kinds of other animals while I'm hunting.

Have fun, enjoy the wilderness and keep your eyes open for non-deer animals. One thing I love about hunting is seeing owls, hawks, turkey, fisher, fox, otters, goose and all kinds of other animals while I'm hunting.

Thanks, I can't wait to enjoy nature :) . Dumb question... Can I just park in any parking lot on their site, seeing how camping is closed?

A lot of people are assuming I'm walking in without having gear...

Actually, we're neither assuming you have it, or don't have it.

Just reminding you things you really ought to make sure you have. And passing on things that some of either saw somebody do, or learned the hard way ourselves.

Hey, have fun, be safe and good luck. And, be sure to remember to let us know how it went, good, bad or indifferent.

Maybe you can help the next guy along.

Actually, we're neither assuming you have it, or don't have it.

Just reminding you things you really ought to make sure you have. And passing on things that some of either saw somebody do, or learned the hard way ourselves.

Hey, have fun, be safe and good luck. And, be sure to remember to let us know how it went, good, bad or indifferent.

Maybe you can help the next guy along.

I absolutely will!

Thanks for the kind words

I have a compass, GPS, and Smartphone, I know how to use them all. I've decided to go to Pawtuckaway State Park, I'll stay at my house and head out at dawn. Anyone know if there's a decent amount of Deer there? Oh and I'll also be wearing blaze orange, so don't worry about that. I plan on going out Saturday morning, and if no luck Sunday morning, and I'll also be taking a trip out the following weekend! Wish me luck guys. now that we've cleared the air of a lot of things, and you guys have a better idea of where I'm at, any final advice for me going in?
Hunt the "island" on the east side of the big marsh. Jack.

Back
Top Bottom