• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Hunting in Northern NH, are there generally camps hunters go to the night before?

I'm wondering if there are general camp areas, hunters will go to and pitch their tents the night before then go out at dawn?

I've got a decent sized tent my buddy and I will be staying in, and I'm wondering if there's generally an accepted area to pitch the tent? Or if I'm just better off with a motel... I was hoping to get a full outdoors experience with a nice fire and tent stay, then the next morning at dawn go out in the field.

Apologies for the noob question guys and gals.

It depends on the area, there are camp sites around Umbagog that would likely be accessible and there are other camp grounds in the white mountains.

It's going to be pretty chilly this time of year though if you don't have good cold weather gear, I'd recommend a motel if you aren't familiar with the area and don't have proper cold weather gear.

It depends on the area, there are camp sites around Umbagog that would likely be accessible and there are other camp grounds in the white mountains.

It's going to be pretty chilly this time of year though if you don't have good cold weather gear, I'd recommend a motel if you aren't familiar with the area and don't have proper cold weather gear.

Thanks for the quick reply, so I've had a few spots in mind for a while, I'm wondering which part you think would be better to hunt?

So I'm torn between:

Conway
Plymouth
Pittsburg

I'm leaning towards Conway, as there will be some camping grounds, to set up shop for the weekend Friday night, and we can make a go of it on Saturday, and Sunday. It's also not too far from home, as I live in the Plaistow area. The reason I'm going up so far, is I'll be hunting with my .308, and most everywhere south of laconia is shotgun only... :(

Appreciate any advice you could offer that would help this hunt be successful!

I believe Doe's require permits. I wouldn't shoot a doe either way, buck only for me!

You really don't have a good understanding of the laws or hunting in general. I get the feeling you got it in your head that you wanted to hunt so you just decided to go walk into the woods.

Have you completed hunter safety and bought a license? Do you know how to field dress a deer? Do you know proper shot placement on a deer? Do you have equipment to drag one out and haul it to a tagging station? Do you know how to tag a deer and where to bring it to get it tagged?

If you can't answer all these questions (and more) you have no business being in the woods without an experienced hunter. You're liable to gut shot a deer, ruin the meat while cleaning it or get yourself in a load of trouble with NH F&G.

You really don't have a good understanding of the laws or hunting in general. I get the feeling you got it in your head that you wanted to hunt so you just decided to go walk into the woods.

Have you completed hunter safety and bought a license? Do you know how to field dress a deer? Do you know proper shot placement on a deer? Do you have equipment to drag one out and haul it to a tagging station? Do you know how to tag a deer and where to bring it to get it tagged?

If you can't answer all these questions (and more) you have no business being in the woods without an experienced hunter. You're liable to gut shot a deer, ruin the meat while cleaning it or get yourself in a load of trouble with NH F&G.

I have both a valid NH hunters Ed certificate, and a valid NH hunting license. I can answer all of those questions, and am comfortable being in the woods, and taking care of business ethically and safely. Everyone starts somewhere, and some people don't have a person to take them their first time... The tone in which you write this is pretty off-putting from the paradigm of a new hunter such as myself. Isn't the goal to get more people involved? Either way, if you read my statement I didn't say DEFINITIVELY doe's require permits, I thought they did off the top of my head. I only personally plan on shooting a buck, and for me, I'm not comfortable with the idea of shooting a female deer.

As for gut shotting a deer and ruining meat... I know the area to shoot the animal for a clean ethical, and non wasteful kill. With what I wrote above, I'm not sure how you inferred I don't. I'm not just jumping into this blind, research has been done, however I figured my question was reasonable to post on a forum, as some research can't give you the same advice as others' experience in the field. That's what I was reaching out for. As for the whole doe thing... That wasn't even my question, it was another person's question unrelated to my initial post.

I'm just looking for my question to be answered, not people's scrutiny, I don't need that. Thanks!

I have both a valid NH hunters Ed certificate, and a valid NH hunting license. I can answer all of those questions, and am comfortable being in the woods, and taking care of business ethically and safely. Everyone starts somewhere, and some people don't have a person to take them their first time... The tone in which you write this is pretty off-putting from the paradigm of a new hunter such as myself. Isn't the goal to get more people involved? Either way, if you read my statement I didn't say DEFINITIVELY doe's require permits, I thought they did off the top of my head. I only personally plan on shooting a buck, and for me, I'm not comfortable with the idea of shooting a female deer.

As for gut shotting a deer and ruining meat... I know the area to shoot the animal for a clean ethical, and non wasteful kill. With what I wrote above, I'm not sure how you inferred I don't. I'm not just jumping into this blind, research has been done, however I figured my question was reasonable to post on a forum, as some research can't give you the same advice as others' experience in the field. That's what I was reaching out for. As for the whole doe thing... That wasn't even my question, it was another person's question unrelated to my initial post.

I'm just looking for my question to be answered, not people's scrutiny, I don't need that. Thanks!

There is no such thing as a doe permit during the NH Deer season as far as I am aware. You have a certain number of days in each zone where you are able to take a doe. Unless we are talking Zone M stuff which is a different ball game.

Having a stronger base of hunters is great, having people in the woods that think they are hunting but don't know the rules, land rights and ethical harvesting of animals is not good. These people are dangerous to others and to the sport in general, I've met many of them during my time in the woods. Nobody can decide for you whether or not you have enough information and knowledge to start hunting except you. The idea that you are going to drive to northern nh, to areas it doesn't sound like you've scouted before to hunt with no place planned to stay makes it seem like this is an ad-hoc trip. Maybe a guided trip for your first trip out would be a better use of time/funds? Higher chances of success and you would also have a mentor to show you how to clean/drag/hang/skin etc. an animal.

Also, just an FYI you don't have to go north of Laconia, north of Rte 101 rifles are allowed between Exeter and Manchester. Check the map here: http://www.eregulations.com/newhampshire/hunting/deer-hunting/

I'd bet someone on this forum would be willing to take you out hunting to get you started if you asked.

Thanks for the quick reply, so I've had a few spots in mind for a while, I'm wondering which part you think would be better to hunt?

So I'm torn between:

Conway
Plymouth
Pittsburg

I'm leaning towards Conway, as there will be some camping grounds, to set up shop for the weekend Friday night, and we can make a go of it on Saturday, and Sunday. It's also not too far from home, as I live in the Plaistow area. The reason I'm going up so far, is I'll be hunting with my .308, and most everywhere south of laconia is shotgun only... :(

Appreciate any advice you could offer that would help this hunt be successful!

wat?

When are you going to drag your butt out to the hills again and come with me?

i'm flat out for most of the season--PM me when you're thinking of going out next dude and i'll see what my schedule is like.

so far i've seen a deer [laugh], and last year almost had a fisher cat walk across me.

Hunting license covers you just like the hike safe card does.

no shit? i did not know that!

shoulda read paragraph 2, eh? derp.

People who possess a current New Hampshire Fish and Game hunting or fishing license, or a current registration for an off-highway recreational vehicle, snowmobile or boat, will also be exempt from repaying rescue costs due to negligence.

i'm flat out for most of the season--PM me when you're thinking of going out next dude and i'll see what my schedule is like.

so far i've seen a deer [laugh], and last year almost had a fisher cat walk across me.

Lucky the fisher didn't wreck you just for S's and G's. Unless something comes up I'll be going out this weekend in my town, somewhere, there are a couple spots I want to try. I'll PM you tonight.

There is no such thing as a doe permit during the NH Deer season as far as I am aware. You have a certain number of days in each zone where you are able to take a doe. Unless we are talking Zone M stuff which is a different ball game.

Having a stronger base of hunters is great, having people in the woods that think they are hunting but don't know the rules, land rights and ethical harvesting of animals is not good. These people are dangerous to others and to the sport in general, I've met many of them during my time in the woods. Nobody can decide for you whether or not you have enough information and knowledge to start hunting except you. The idea that you are going to drive to northern nh, to areas it doesn't sound like you've scouted before to hunt with no place planned to stay makes it seem like this is an ad-hoc trip. Maybe a guided trip for your first trip out would be a better use of time/funds? Higher chances of success and you would also have a mentor to show you how to clean/drag/hang/skin etc. an animal.

Also, just an FYI you don't have to go north of Laconia, north of Rte 101 rifles are allowed between Exeter and Manchester. Check the map here: http://www.eregulations.com/newhampshire/hunting/deer-hunting/

I'd bet someone on this forum would be willing to take you out hunting to get you started if you asked.

I do know how to harvest the deer properly, including field dressing, and dragging it back to the truck.

Going more north, is partly preference, I don't get to spend some time in the woods as often as I'd like, and for me I like the idea of going to a place that's not right next door to my house.

I looked at the map, however must haved missed north of Rte 101. I appreciate that advice.

Like I said, maybe I'm fresh as a daisy to hunting, but it doesn't mean I'm completely ignorant, nor does it mean I won't be a good responsible hunter. I've got a decent head on my shoulders, and I feel what I'm now just lacking is experience. I didn't come here for scrutiny just some advice, and for someone who's been hunting a while(as it seems as though you have been), I would think you'd be more or less happy I'm at LEAST asking the questions/ doing the research, not just blindly walking out there.

I do know how to harvest the deer properly, including field dressing, and dragging it back to the truck.

Going more north, is partly preference, I don't get to spend some time in the woods as often as I'd like, and for me I like the idea of going to a place that's not right next door to my house.

I looked at the map, however must haved missed north of Rte 101. I appreciate that advice.

Like I said, maybe I'm fresh as a daisy to hunting, but it doesn't mean I'm completely ignorant, nor does it mean I won't be a good responsible hunter. I've got a decent head on my shoulders, and I feel what I'm now just lacking is experience. I didn't come here for scrutiny just some advice, and for someone who's been hunting a while(as it seems as though you have been), I would think you'd be more or less happy I'm at LEAST asking the questions/ doing the research, not just blindly walking out there.

Good, good, I wish you the best of luck then, try not to get discouraged if you don't see anything. If you can afford it taking a week vacation this week (first full week of the season) will give you much better odds in future years than just hitting the weekends.

As for camping vs. motel, like I said if you have cold weather gear find a campground close to your hunting area, otherwise I would hit a motel. 20 degrees outside is not a good time to find out your sleeping bag is only good down to 40.

lighten up, francis. if you can't handle some gentile ribbing on the internet you're in for a barrel of laughs when it comes to pulling an animal's ******* out, zip-tying his poop-cute shut, and then pulling his guts out.

there are some really knowledgeable guys here, and they will most definitely help you. many have helped me. in the process they'll bust your balls a little, it's not a big deal.

i'm still waiting for my first deer, so i get the being green aspect bruh.

lighten up, francis. if you can't handle some gentile ribbing on the internet you're in for a barrel of laughs when it comes to pulling an animal's ******* out, zip-tying his poop-cute shut, and then pulling his guts out.

there are some really knowledgeable guys here, and they will most definitely help you. many have helped me. in the process they'll bust your balls a little, it's not a big deal.

My jimmies aren't rustled. It just didn't seem like ribbing, I thought it was more hostile than that. I'm known to bust balls with the rest of them, I'm just very excited to be going this weekend, and I know I may not see a deer, but some of the replies kind of took the wind out of my sails. Had I known my chops were being busted, my replies would have been more light hearted.

My jimmies aren't rustled. It just didn't seem like ribbing, I thought it was more hostile than that. I'm known to bust balls with the rest of them, I'm just very excited to be going this weekend, and I know I may not see a deer, but some of the replies kind of took the wind out of my sails. Had I known my chops were being busted, my replies would have been more light hearted.

yeah dude, 99% of the time folks on here are just playing around. there are some real *******s but they are usually shown the door.

i was excited as all hell on my first hunt but then realized i had not made adequate gear choices and froze my ass off. [laugh]

yeah dude, 99% of the time folks on here are just playing around. there are some real *******s but they are usually shown the door.

i was excited as all hell on my first hunt but then realized i had not made adequate gear choices and froze my ass off. [laugh]

I definitely went cold weather this time around. Oh and thanks to NHAtHeart, I realized I can hunt in Nottingham with my .308, which is only about 20 miles from me. Kinda defeats the purpose of camping since it's so close, I could just leave from my home... lol

Or I could just go camping for the hell of it up in that area. Decisions decisions...

I was not ribbing, this is what I envisioned the hunt looking like:

However, he says he has it under control so I wish him the best.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have a question for the more experienced hunters. As it's proper etiquette to get a landowner's permission to hunt their land, how is the hell do you find out who owns some random giant chunk of acreage?

I'm spending this season reading, learning, watching you tube, starting to buy some gear etc so I can be ready for next year. I have a good friend in central maine who offered to help me out next year, as well as a few offers from members here. As much as I'd love to run out and buy a deer gun this weekend and hit the woods, I'm just not ready and wouldn't be doing anyone any good traipsing around the woods. I will say I've been reading constantly and spending a good deal of time on you tube and have already learned a ton.

I have a question for the more experienced hunters. As it's proper etiquette to get a landowner's permission to hunt their land, how is the hell do you find out who owns some random giant chunk of acreage?

I'm spending this season reading, learning, watching you tube, starting to buy some gear etc so I can be ready for next year. I have a good friend in central maine who offered to help me out next year, as well as a few offers from members here. As much as I'd love to run out and buy a deer gun this weekend and hit the woods, I'm just not ready and wouldn't be doing anyone any good traipsing around the woods. I will say I've been reading constantly and spending a good deal of time on you tube and have already learned a ton.

Depending on how remote it is it might not be a big deal. In populated areas you can usually find the city tax maps and get contact info from them or go to the town office and ask. New England generally allows use unless it is posted, if you're going to be walking in next to someone's house definitely ask. If you cross an unmarked boundary line in the woods with no posted signs I'd say it's not a big deal.

Also, if you can find corporate land it's handy, I've hunted some pieces of IP (international paper) land which is basically open to the public unless they are logging it. I believe Cabot stains has a huge pile of land in NH as well that is open to public use.

Depending on how remote it is it might not be a big deal. In populated areas you can usually find the city tax maps and get contact info from them or go to the town office and ask. New England generally allows use unless it is posted, if you're going to be walking in next to someone's house definitely ask. If you cross an unmarked boundary line in the woods with no posted signs I'd say it's not a big deal.

Also, if you can find corporate land it's handy, I've hunted some pieces of IP (international paper) land which is basically open to the public unless they are logging it. I believe Cabot stains has a huge pile of land in NH as well that is open to public use.

ok that's good to know and what matches up with what I've read, thought Maine IFW website encourages seeking positive permission. I'll take that as more of a suggestion.

When we used to hunt grouse in Maine it was on paper company land and the only rule was stay out of the way of logging operations and trucks.

BTW I was able to get my license squared away but I'm not going to bother this year with the season winding down. Between my son's christening next weekend and thanksgiving etc I an't making it out. I told my wife though that come next November expect me to be a ghost on the weekends and taking days off left and right.

I definitely went cold weather this time around. Oh and thanks to NHAtHeart, I realized I can hunt in Nottingham with my .308, which is only about 20 miles from me. Kinda defeats the purpose of camping since it's so close, I could just leave from my home... lol

Or I could just go camping for the hell of it up in that area. Decisions decisions...
Pawtuckaway State Park is open to hunting and has been productive for us in past years. And you would have a hard time getting lost there. Jack.

Pawtuckaway State Park is open to hunting and has been productive for us in past years. And you would have a hard time getting lost there. Jack.

That's where I've been looking at! Now the million dollar question is, where can I pitch a tent around there? I mean I could just sleep at my house and leave early in the morning... But I was really hoping to spend a couple nights outside with a campfire... I suppose I could use my yard with a firepit, but that's no fun... haha

All the campgrounds I've been looking at closed the third week of October. Any advice on where I could pitch a tent near Pawtuckaway State Park? Also my bolt action .308 is legal there correct? I don't see Nottingham in the list of towns that don't allow rifles.

That's where I've been looking at! Now the million dollar question is, where can I pitch a tent around there? I mean I could just sleep at my house and leave early in the morning... But I was really hoping to spend a couple nights outside with a campfire... I suppose I could use my yard with a firepit, but that's no fun... haha

All the campgrounds I've been looking at closed the third week of October. Any advice on where I could pitch a tent near Pawtuckaway State Park? Also my bolt action .308 is legal there correct? I don't see Nottingham in the list of towns that don't allow rifles.

You want us to shoot the deer and dress it for you too?

Back
Top Bottom