• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Hunting Club?

I'm currently looking at getting a rifle, as I was deciding what I wanted to go with, I wasn't thinking about hunting as I have never been. I decided that I was going to go with a Marlin 1985GS because the I think the gun is gorgeous and with reloading isn't THAT expensive to shoot. Then I started thinking that it would be almost a waste to have that gun just for a little rifle shooting at the range. I've never been hunting and thought that I would like to give it a try.

Are there hunting clubs or something a novice hunter could go and "learn" the basics? I'll admit when it comes to hunting, I'm pretty ignorant. I'm interested in going out a couple times and see what it's like. Also, if by chance I took up hunting for the sport (as I don't need to hunt for food), are there places that I could donate the meat to? I'm in MA if that helps.

Thanks!
Adam

Hey Adam,

Check out one of the Hunter Safety classes that many clubs hold (usually in the summer). The one at my club covers many aspects of hunting in general. One of the first things you'll learn is that you can't hunt deer in Mass with the rifle you're looking at.

Also, if you join a club with lots of hunters, you can learn from them. PM me if you live anywhere near Shirley, as my club is big into hunting.

Good idea. I took a hunter safety course 10 years ago, but I don't recall much of it anymore. :)

Is there an online resource with rifle restrictions?

If you want to get some quick excitement, don't for get about Turkey hunting as well as ducks and geese. Good times.

I can't recomened the H&R ultra lug hunter enough. IT is cheap and very accurate at 100 yards. It is also my favorate gun to shoot.

If any greenies were thinking about buying one let me know and I would be glad to let you shoot mine.

hull-o-farm in Durham NY

You can try these guys in upstate NY, on the northern base of the Catskill mountains. They do pheasant, turkey and deer, and I think you can use your rifle there.

http://www.hunthull-o.com/

I brought my semi-trained German Shorthair Pointer there back in October for some planted pheasants. They are farmers trying to keep their land by offering hunting and organic/grass fed beef. Pheasant will remind you of turkey and the beef was great but $$$ !!

Bill

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom