• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Hunter's Trading Post, Weymouth, MA

Allthough I have yet to purchase any firearms from HTP, their staff has been nothing but businesslike and friendly. Business owners have the right to charge what they want. It is apparent that HTP has its base clients keeping them afloat. So far with out a doubt FourSeasons has had the best prices on all my firearms thus far. C&L guns in middleboro at a quick glance had what I thought where good prices. Most dealers in the south shore area are higher priced. AcmeArmerment in carver is a new one on the block. I snuck in my AR order just before the rush.

You do realize that this is the gun shop review section of NES right? I think this thread has been pretty civil.

Mass-Diver Sickone777 is a buddy of Dons. When I first posted about the totaly lack of customer service and price, this joker jumps in to stick up for his buddy don. I would say maybe sickone777 is don, but that guy wouldn't know what a computer is just like he does not know what customer service is!

But you can count on sickone777 is a buddy of someone at that jokers shop seeing he always gets his panties in a bunch when you rate his buddies shop a 0.

Mass-Diver Sickone777 is a buddy of Dons. When I first posted about the totaly lack of customer service and price, this joker jumps in to stick up for his buddy don. I would say maybe sickone777 is don, but that guy wouldn't know what a computer is just like he does not know what customer service is!

But you can count on sickone777 is a buddy of someone at that jokers shop seeing he always gets his panties in a bunch when you rate his buddies shop a 0.

I'm not surprised. Although I have to admit my Dad considers Don a friend. I've heard Don say a bunch of times that he bought the shop as something to do for retirement, so he's not super motivated to kiss customer's asses (or even be friendly) and a result, him and some his staff don't think twice about being super rude.

I swear I think they coined the classic gun shop line: "Can I take a look at the pistol." "Why?" " I want to see how it feels." "It feels like a gun."

That said, if his prices were a little lower and his selection a little better, I'd still buy guns off him. Instead, I make the trip up to Carl's and get decent service, despite the unbelievably busy/hectic environment of the store.

listen buddy i am not the beach ball looking mother F^cker that you think i am i am someone completely different i am a friend of the family more a friend of the owners son and very computer literate so watch what you say

Well, I've said it before and I'll say it again, I've had great luck in HTP. Personally, I have gotten quite a few deals there and both Phil and Don treat me great. I know there is one guy there (southern accent, glasses, dope...) that doesn't contribute a thing to that store except being in the way behind the counter, other than that, everyone else that works there is nothing but polite & helpful in my experiences.

Well, I've said it before and I'll say it again, I've had great luck in HTP. Personally, I have gotten quite a few deals there and both Phil and Don treat me great. I know there is one guy there (southern accent, glasses, dope...) that doesn't contribute a thing to that store except being in the way behind the counter, other than that, everyone else that works there is nothing but polite & helpful in my experiences.

Well Big joe if you look throw this post you can tell few other people have been treated like you have at the shop. There are more bad post then good and that speaks alot about a shop! Jump over and look at fourseason review and look at a ton of great review and very very few bad post. I will give you at any shop will have a few people rate it bad. But when you have this many post on hunters all in the bad it says a whole lot about a shop.

There is a place in Quincy that just got there FFL and will have there doors open in about 3-6 weeks selling so I will bet you hunters will lose more sales if the new shop has good customer service.

Well Big joe if you look throw this post you can tell few other people have been treated like you have at the shop. There are more bad post then good and that speaks alot about a shop! Jump over and look at fourseason review and look at a ton of great review and very very few bad post. I will give you at any shop will have a few people rate it bad. But when you have this many post on hunters all in the bad it says a whole lot about a shop.

There is a place in Quincy that just got there FFL and will have there doors open in about 3-6 weeks selling so I will bet you hunters will lose more sales if the new shop has good customer service.

Nah Henchmen, respectfully I must disagree. I've noticed a few bad posts about FS, mine included. That aside, I think both shops have their pros & cons. I've patronized both stores, however, Hunter's is MUCH closer to me than FS. While FS has excellent prices, for me personally, it's not worth the drive all the way north of Boston to try to save a couple of bucks on a box of ammo, or $30 on a gun...not to mention standing around for 10-15 minutes waiting to be attended to. Please don't get me wrong though, FS is a great shop too in it's own right. I had occasion to be in the vicinity up there a little while ago and bought a light/laser combo & a dot sight, I was waited on by the gentleman that is a Cambridge Firefighter and he was great and very helpful.

I can walk to HTP, but I buy my guns at FS.

I've never been treated badly in Hunters, but I haven't been treated well either. They just seem disinterested in me. Their prices are generally high as well.

I don't walk into gun shops to browse, I'm there to buy. Usually I have the cash in my pocket. If you don't want to take the time to seperate me from my cash.......that's not my fault.[wink]

I hold no ill will towards Don.

listen buddy i am not the beach ball looking mother F^cker that you think i am i am someone completely different i am a friend of the family more a friend of the owners son and very computer literate so watch what you say
It was clear you know the family before you posted the above. And if you read the post better, I was talking about don not knowing how to use a computer!

So why not try and take things a little less personal and do the same with people posting about hunters. I would buy from the shop and so would others if they had people in there that knew what (customer service) was and how to treat people when they walk in the door. If the shop is packed no one thinks they should get a: (hello how can I help you today)? But I have gone in there during the week and weekends and there are all of 2 people looking around the shop and you don't get that.

The way you get and keep customers is in the way you welcome them and treat them. Like I said his son does things the right way! But his dad and the good old boys are the ones that make people unhappy with the shop! The smart thing to do is have your friend sign up on here and start reading the issues people have at the shop and run into. I am sure he will take over the shop when his dad wants to give it up. But take the time to find out what is wrong and fix it, also they may want to keep there website up to date with what they have in stock and list some prices for there used guns the internet is a good tool to bring in some sales to the shop.

Last edited:
I actually like HTP. They might not be the almight FS, but good guys. It is kind of bazaar to hear gun enthusiasts whine that the red carpet doesn't get rolled out for them when they walk in the door. Not talking about anyone in particular by any means, I just think that gun shops don't necessarily need to be held to the same standards as the waitress in Outback....Keep in mind that the ones that are super friendly are probably just a little more interested in emptying your wallet than the next guy....

I just think that gun shops don't necessarily need to be held to the same standards as the waitress in Outback...

I don't give the waitress at Outback $1700 cash generally.[wink]

I'm in sales, and quality customer service is fairly important.

Like I said, they've never treated me poorly. They just don't seem to care that I'm in their store. I have a choice where I spend my money. I choose to spend it at a store where the people greet me with a smile and enjoy talking to me.

It's funny that a simple smile could add up to thousands of my dollars being spent somewhere.

I don't give the waitress at Outback $1700 cash generally.[wink]

I'm in sales, and quality customer service is fairly important.

Like I said, they've never treated me poorly. They just don't seem to care that I'm in their store. I have a choice where I spend my money. I choose to spend it at a store where the people greet me with a smile and enjoy talking to me.

It's funny that a simple smile could add up to thousands of my dollars being spent somewhere.

I paid $550 for my last rifle and like beerguy said it is the little things like a hello how can I help you or a smile that go's a long way of getting sales and keeping them coming back. Fourseaons does good seeing Carl has people working in his shop that care about customers and what they are selling. It is always smart to have someone working a shop that knows what they are talking about. Case in point, I was at bass pro shop a few weeks ago getting some ammo and looking around. When I had to use the restroom but before I went I asked a guy working the gun counter if they had any heavy barrel rifles in .243

He asked why I wanted a heavy barrel rifle in .243 and I told him for look range shooting. The answer I got back was, Oh the .243 is no good for long range shooting! After I got past the shock of what I just heard. I said so your telling me a 6 mm bullet is no good for long range shooting. And he was like oh oh no I mean the case is no good. Laughing to myself I came back with, okay just like the .308 is no good for long range shooting right. I had to walk away at that point. The guy had no clue what he was talking about but from hearing him talk you would think he was the master of bass pro shop lol.

If you have a joker like that working for you. You are going to lose customers seeing most know what they are talking about and know what they want to buy! I did stop at the customer service counter there and tell the guy working it. That you my want to talk to that guy or have his boss, seeing it is a real turn off to someone buying a rifle when you have someone working there telling them they are wrong to want to get a rifle. But then again I have been there a few time's and most guys working the gun counter don't know jack.

First post to NES.

I'm a new gun owner, and Hunter's was the first gun shop I went to (as it was the closest). I got my Pistol Safety Certificate there, and I gotta say, Don Hunt and the rest of the staff have always been very friendly and reasonable with me, even though there's plenty of posts stating the contrary. Just to give you an idea, on my first visit, I had long hair and a full beard.. I looked like a bum, and Don Hunt STILL treated me with respect and a smile. I bought my first handgun, a H&K USP 40 from him, and he let me start paying it off even though he knew he would be holding on to it for more than 90 days. He never complained once.

Since then, I've bought cleaning supplies, ammo, a holster, and night sights from him, and everything's been great. I've had a very good experience doing business with Don Hunt and the HTP staff. I've also been to a few more stores since then (still need to check out Four Seasons), and I can say that his prices are fair and his selection is great.

Everyone's entitled to their own opinion, and mine is that Don Hunt is the man.

I've also been to a few more stores since then (still need to check out Four Seasons), and I can say that his prices are fair and his selection is great.

Everyone's entitled to their own opinion, and mine is that Don Hunt is the man.

Here's my advice, don't go to Four Seasons and if you must go, don't look at the prices. That way your opinion of HTP can stay intact.

There has been many stores(not just gun) that talk me out of spending my money, Thank the gun lords a few new dealers have set foot in SE mass. I LOVE Fourseasons BUT the drive is a just a PITA nowadays. I really have to plan as to not hit traffic to bad. Last trip I got stuck 2.5hour ride home. If I get anywhere near hunters anytime soon I will go to sportsmens Den in quincy 1st.

Here's my advice, don't go to Four Seasons and if you must go, don't look at the prices. That way your opinion of HTP can stay intact.

Haha, no worries man. I actually have plans to check out Four Seasons on Saturday. Everyone raves about it, I have to. I just felt inclined to voice my opinion on HTP because my experience there hasn't been as bad as everyone else's, apparently. The only other shops I've checked out are Archer Arms in Carver and the Middleboro gun shop (which ever one is next to Apazidi's Diner), and the Plimoth Bay Outfitters. The PBO was also pretty awesome, btw. Big fan of that place as well. I also stopped in Bass Pro Shops, and they seem alright enough.

I can't wait to check out Four Seasons though. I'm shopping around for a .357 Revolver, possibly a Ruger GP100 (or something comparable). Time to see who gets my money.

Last edited:
+1 for h1hue's post on p12. That's the closet summary to my experience. Especially forget about FFL transfers. I asked, and Don was outright hostile.

My biggest frustration with Don is the (sometimes rabid) political talk. I don't go to gun shops to talk politics. I want to talk guns. Otherwise though, he helps me out when I'm there.

Like everyone else, I love FS and regularly make a pilgrimage there from the South Shore. The staff is first class, and the prices are better than HTP. I suspect that has to do with volume of business.

For those of us trapped on the South Shore, check out the Sportmens Den in Quincy. Not a big selection yet, but the owner Ron is very helpful and friendly. I wish he had more in stock, because I'd really like to buy locally.

@mass-diver: yeah, but there's no depth to it. "People's Republic of Massachusetts" (Don's favorite saying) is a just a trite soundbite. A deeper political discussion about bigger issues that need to be fixed in this state (of which gun control is only one part) is really not what I'm looking for in a freakin' gun shop. But hey, that's just me.

Well, I checked out Four Seasons. I can clearly see what you guys are talking about. The selection was pretty sweet, and the prices were definitely about as low as possible. I had to wade through a sea of people just to peek inside the pistol displays, however. They should probably introduce one of those take-a-number machines you see at the deli. In the end, I asked some questions and picked up some ammo, and I was treated VERY well (regardless of the fact that I was wearing a death metal t-shirt - my way of testing the customer service waters).

What really blew my mind was the Collector's Gallery in Stoneham, not far from FS. They also had a great selection and excellent prices. Not only that, but there was only one other customer in the store while I was there, so service was readily available. The selection really hit home with me, as they had some stuff I don't normally see when I go to a gun store - an FN FS2000, a MAC-10, a Barret .50BMG, a Mossberg Bullpup - not to mention that they only wanted $1749 for an FN PS90 Tri-Rail. I have to say, I'm still gonna do business with HTP and M&M Plimoth Bay Outfitters, and I'll definitely do some with FS, but the Collector's Gallery is now my new favorite shop.

Let the spending begin.

I am new to this forum but I wanted to add my 2 cents to defend these guys. I went in there for the first time the other day and spent a good 30-45 minutes hanging out while they completed my transaction. After looking at a sub-par website I was actually impressed with their small selection of handguns which were all MA compliant (Good news for us and I don't ask too many questions when the answer I want is right in front of me). The guys were a veteran bunch who seemed down to earth and I didn't get any attitude which is good for a cocky looking young guy like myself. Prices were less then I researched and I am very pleased. Some very well priced S+W revolvers and I can guarantee I will be back for one of them soon. After all the hype about some other stores I was told to go check out I don't regret making this my first stop. I'm not a big driver and as far as options on the South Shore don't rule this one out. I appreciate the opinions though I will surely check out some of the other places you gents recommended in the future.

For what its worth

I have been here a couple of times now. Most recently I went to inquire about a trigger bar spring that I was having trouble getting back in place. The Gunsmith Bob was awesome. He showed me exactly how to put it back in and he was also a great guy to talk with. The only problem I had was I also tried to exchange a Mikes IWB holster I had purchased from them the previous week. The inside had torn on my second day wearing it and they would not exchange it. They said I could contact the company. Did not think $15 was worth keeping me happy. Usually great service, not sure why they did not follow through with me this time.

I was there a few weeks ago to do a FTF transfer, the whole place is like a comedy routine. The youngest guy is continually heckling the older guy and Don in addition to most customers that walk through the door. Even though I am pretty far away, and pretty close to some good shops, I wouldn't hesitate to shop there. While we were doing the paperwork, I had no issues handling several guns out of the case.

Chris

maybe they figured it out and have changed their ways for the better, Don has talked me out of spending my money there several times.
I have not been there in years since ACME ARMORMENT and C&F guns opened up a bit more south.

I have had nothing but great experiences at this shop. I took my firearms safety class here and Don was a great instructor. The same day I signed up for the course I spotted a gun in the shop that I wanted and he was more then willing to put it on hold for me until I got my license! Even after I expressed that it would take months before I would have my license as I needed to take the course, submit the application, etc. He was very nice and said "not a problem, when you get it come down and the gun will be here for you." Well, 3 months later I finally got my license and went down yesterday to pick it up! Don, his son, and another gentleman was there, all were extremely polite, and asked anyone in the store how they could help. One of the gentleman there took the time to explain how to fill out the paperwork as this was my first gun while Don went and got the pistol ready for me. Everyone there was very respectful and took the time to explain the process with me as a first time gun buyer. In addition, Don was gracious enough to include a box of ammo on the house!

My brother was with me yesterday as well and bought a new gun as well, he was also a first time buyer and they were just as respectful to him and also gave him a box of ammo. Both of us are very happy with our experiences at Hunters Trading Post and hope this doesn't change! I am shocked to see the kind of reputation they have on here, Maybe mac is right and they have changed their ways.

Thanks Don and everyone else that helped me and my brother out at the shop to make it a great experience!

I have posted about bad experiences at HTP in the past. I stopped in after not being there for along time. They have definitely changed their ways! Don was very pleasant and helpful as well as the other employees. Maybe they read NES! Let's see if it lasts, I hope so.

Jbarila,

I am sure you got lucky and just happen to get Don on a good day. But I am sure he will change seeing sportsman's den in Quincy is making in price his firearms much better. Before everything he put out was at MSRP.

Just moved back in the area and stopped by Hunter's last week. Many things have changed since I moved away. Don's son has seemed to take over a lot of duties and was running around like crazy handling 3 customers at once. He even had the time to get me back up to speed on some laws and new hand guns available. It seems to be a relaxed shop and most of the guys that walked in the door when I was there, Phil (Don's son) knew them by first name. I can't think of many places where someone can remember that many people who walk through the door. For some that posted bad comments, my recommendation is just see Don's son and you will be all set. Every one deserves a second chance in my book.

H&KGUY,

Yes his son did always seem to be more into the customers then his dad ever was. I hope his son takes the shop over and turns things around. I hate to say it but if Don keeps things up with the way he treats his customers and his price points on items, he will have no customers and the doors would close meaning one less gun shop in Mass which the AG and anti-gunner would just love. I think his son will have his hands full turning around the shops name do to the way his old man did things.

If his son is on NES I would say clean house get the guns that are not selling and mark them down clean out the old to make room for new stock. Work on the customer service big time, your dad really made a bad name for the shop and that is the hardest thing to over come. Best of luck!

I have a pending sale here which may or may not turn out how I'm expecting.

I was in to get my first .22 rifle and after not finding exactly what I was looking for Don and his associate (not his son) said they could order whatever I was looking for. After telling them the specific model, they looked through the book and wrote down what sounded like the wrong item. I put a deposit regardless, but after getting home I searched the Savage Arms site and came to the conclusion Don was slightly confused looking through the order booklet and I called the shop. His associate that I met earlier picked up and noted down the correct model I was looking for and said he'd make sure they correct that before sending the official order.

I'm currently waiting for the call back when the order comes in.

But overall the shop was nice, had a lot of nice rifles. They didn't mind me browsing or picking anything up off the racks and helped me out when handling a couple items. Don, his associate, and son were all courteous to anyone who walked in while I was there. Though I did notice his son became rather frustrated after asking where some repair tags were and Don appeared unsure.

Update - Got a call 7 days later that my rifle had come in. It was exactly what I had been looking for and the checkout was an easy process. Took a little while since they had printer issues, but its not like I'm ever in a rush to leave a gun shop!

I also noticed a little something else which I've been looking for for a while. I might have to go back sooner than expected.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom