• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Hunter's Trading Post, Weymouth, MA

His son is helpful and does not rush you or blow you off like his old man does. I went in there a few days ago to get new night sights put on my glock only reason I went there is that it was closer then 4 season.

They tag my pistol with a repair tag to have night sights put on it, I asked the guy why he was tagging it?? and he said that ATF was in there for a week and they told them they had to do it.

For a repair that takes more then a few hours yes you do but not when putting night sights on takes all of 5min.

You got lucky on the free ammo and case the lock they have to give you by law. If his old man was there you wouldn't have got the ammo the case maybe.

There use to be alot more bad post on here about this shop but I think one of the admin on here knows the owner so he took alot of them off.

This is a shop you go to only when you really really need something. He has very little cleaning solvent and what he has is marked up and his ammo is really high go to four season for a good deal on ammo.

And I will say when I looked at his pistol prices they were much better then what I had seen. But when your not making sales you have to lower the price lol.

If his son takes over the shop I think you will see things get better and I think with the ATF in there cleared up somethings to.

When I was there the ammo was under the counter and it makes it hard to pick out what you want. The Father treated me pretty good when I bought a handgun there last year. But I wouldn't go out of my way to go there.

I found them to be very helpful, I purchased a Glock 31 3rd Generation for $550.00, it was "like new cond" and a few weeks later a Ruger SP101 for $250.00 same condition. Both times they threw in a box of Federal Hyda-shocks for defensive carrying. Every time Don has been very pleasant to deal with.

Just my experience.....

i am hounestly sick of all the bad mouthing of this shop
these people are very good friends and are not out to screw or take advantage
of anybody.these people mean well thats it if you have an atitude like you dont like them or you disrespect them you have it coming to you.all they are is a little
mom and pops shop trying to make a buck they dont make a lot of money on anything they sell if you treat them right they will treat you right

but thats my 2 cents

I've purchased mainly cleaning supplies and ammo there. Convenient for folks on the south shore. Nice place to browse for rifles & shotguns because they're all out in the open. Handguns behind glass, but they're always happy to show them. I handle the S&W 1911's every time I go. Gun prices are hit or miss. Some things are reasonable, others are high. Example, seems Ruger Vaquero Blued was priced okay, Bushmaster AR was high. They seem to have a good selection of Sentry Safes too. My buddy was pretty happy with the armorer. Had a lot of work done to his shotguns.

Owner strikes me as nice old timer but a bit soured on the political state of the state.

Well you can't blame the owner on being sour on the political state of this state, who isn't.

I just recently needed a gunsmith in a hurry and couldn't find one. I found out to late they had a gunsmith and wish that they had a sign posted saying so, I would have gone there.

The only way I found out was it was on their web site. Prices were pretty good for the services offered.

sickone777 said:
i am hounestly sick of all the bad mouthing of this shop
these people are very good friends and are not out to screw or take advantage
of anybody.these people mean well thats it if you have an atitude like you dont like them or you disrespect them you have it coming to you.all they are is a little
mom and pops shop trying to make a buck they dont make a lot of money on anything they sell if you treat them right they will treat you right

but thats my 2 cents

Well if there friends of your you may want to tell Don to be alittle nicer and less of a Ahole his son if left the shop would run it alot better then his old man does. The 10 times over my 18yrs of shooting I have gone in there was nothing but bad.

1. You call for a price he wants to you come in people don't have the time all he has to do is look it up and call you back fourseason does it.

2. Don runs hot and cold and it shows when you walk in there and have to deal with him people don't want that.

3. His price on stuff has come down and it should have he was high on alot of handguns and his ammo price is still way to high you look at fourseason and there price is were it should be on ammo.

And people are not bad mouthing him there telling how they felt when they went in there. And if you look at fourseason there is like 1-2 bad post out of alot of post.

Don should be on here asking what he can do to make his shop better and dealing with issue that come up on forums like this and not be like you take it all personal if a person has a bad taste in there mouth and there of alot of them about this store it tells you something is wrong with how he is dealing with people.

I shoot at braintree and you can't even know how many shooters told me never go to hunters and if you plan on going call becuase he likes to close on days he should be open alot of the time and I learned the hard way.

And to the whole mom and pop thing jacks gun shop was the same in Quincy and I loved going in there guy was always nice and would give you a good deal and a good trade on stuff unlike Hunters and jack always had good sales.

Last edited:
I don't think he wants any more business

I've been in to this store multiple times and I've never once felt like they actually wanted me there. I went in knowing exactly what I wanted and was even willing to pay their higher price just because they're so close to me. After I finally got his attention after waiting over twenty minutes (there wasn't any one else in the store) he was rude and not very helpful. I went to four seasons and bought my sig for fifty bucks less!!!

I went in for the second time to try and buy a holster. I was greeted by the father and told the holsters were in the back. After looking through all of the holsters I found out they were out of stock. He said he would put my name on a list and call me when it came in. I thought this is great maybe I just caught him on an off day (we all have them). I've been waiting for four months now for my holster, I've stopped in twice and called multiple times and every time they simply say still on order. It confuses me as to how they could possibly have service this bad and still be open. I just simply take the drive to four seasons now. They're always very helpful and they've got good prices.

Closer gunshop

Thanks guys, you just saved me a trip to Hunter's. I've been there once years ago, but don't really remember much of it. I would suggest going to 'Law Enforcement Equipment, Inc. in Waltham Mass, owned and operated by Walter Duddy. Walt has great prices on ammo and decent prices on firearms. Safe to say that if Walt dosen't have it Four Seasons does and in the reverse; if 4 Seasons dosen't have what your looking for most likely Walt does.[wink] . Hey just my 2 cents.

Welcome to the forum. Please set your User CP to see ALL THREADS.

Then do an Advanced Search on Law Enforcement Supply posted by LenS. It should be educational. [I saved you the trouble this time, I'll post the URL below.] Even more recently, a LEO friend "got a deal" from LE Supply, a Glock 22 at ONLY $150 MORE THAN LE PRICING! He could have bought the same exact gun for LE pricing ($398.20) if he had gone thru Interstate Arms (LE Distributor) and Four Seasons (as local FFL that IA will ship to)!

Caveat emptor on LE Supply!

-------------------
Mod Hat On!

No further discussion of LE Supply here, use their thread for that.

http://northeastshooters.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=49

HTP was where I went to take my safety course. I found out later that they charge a lot more than most places, but I was happy to go there because the Gent' that did the shooting portion of the safety course took my to Hanson Rod and Gun Club and I fell in love with it there, and became a member. Don is very hot and cold and does seem burnt out because of the state of the state. I am not a clean cut military boy: I have long hair, my ears are peirced, and have a 5 o'clock shadow constantly. I made it clear that I was college educated, understood to clean up before I went in to get "booked" at the police station and he seemed cool off from his first impression of me,and was much nicer to me. I feel like he thinks everyone who comes in isn't going to buy anything and doesn't put forth an effort to try and sell you anything. I know running a business like a firearms dealer comes with headaches and stress but it is really hard to want to purchase something from a shop when you can't have a conversation with who is working the desk. His son is great to deal with, and the older Gent' that was there was fine to deal with. His prices are on both sides of the fence for guns and his ammo is rather high. I only went there because sometimes they had semi exotic guns, and were on the way to my work. Now I do all my dealings in plymouth, much closer to where I live.

sickone777 why don't you pass this info along to your buddie Don there so he can wake up and see he is running his shop into the ground.

Mod Hat On!

Sickone777, you are out of line.

Henchmen is offering a constructive way to make the perceived situation better. You can do it or ignore it, but let's try to be civil here please.

If someone does something that pisses some folks off, they may not realize it unless someone who is a friend brings it to their attention in a positive way. This may or may not be a comfortable thing to do, but it could allow someone to see an error of their ways and take constructive action.

henchmen
why dont you mind your own
and let him run his shop the way he wants

Wow from the sounds of that sure your name really is not Don?? sure sounds like him.

Yea you should help him at the shop you and him will bring in the people "laughing" should really help with the little people he does have come in.

Like the Mod said I would like to see the shop doing better we all would that is why we put info on here, we all had a bad time at his shop and the only way it will get better is for you to pass on the info to him.

Take a look at Fourseason link, they have like 13 pages of review I went up there today and put 3 rifles on cosignment and weymouth is like 5min from me. That should tell you and Don something when people will go out of there way to another shop! Want to know why I took them up there??

They will sell because people buy alot more from that shop and go in there more. That is why Carl will always be around hell if you don't talk to Don, talk to his son so changes can be made.

I know if you told Don he would say I don't care and that is way his shop is in the shape it is in with lack of buyers.

Last edited:
And to the whole mom and pop thing jacks gun shop was the same in Quincy and I loved going in there guy was always nice and would give you a good deal and a good trade on stuff unlike Hunters and jack always had good sales.[/QUOTE]

No, I really didnt just drop back in from the dark side of the moon.
But does this mean that Jacks is gone?
I went there all the time when I was younger.
Jack was/is? top notch people.

A good report

I stopped in yesterday.
I was more "tire kicking" than anything else.
I met Don and felt more than welcomed.
He answered all of my questions and was very helpful.
Just thought I'd share that.

I stopped in yesterday.
I was more "tire kicking" than anything else.
I met Don and felt more than welcomed.
He answered all of my questions and was very helpful.
Just thought I'd share that.

Take that with a grain of salt the guy runs hot and cold one day he is like that and the whole next time you come in his is not all nice.

Trust me save your time and money and go to 4 season you would be alot happier. There more ammo at better price and better firearms that have not beeing laying around for yrs like a hunters.

Hunter's Trading Post

So, over the past few years my father and I have bought atleast 10 pistols between the two of us at Don's Shop. I also bought a nice PTR-91 from him.

In general I like dealing with Don and his Son, but not the other guys. However recently I've had some problems:

1.) There is now a no dry firing policy. A few weeks ago I was going to buy a G17 off them and they would not allow me to dry fire it. On Glocks own website they OK endless dryfiring, and given that used glocks often have triggers that have been messed with, I thought this was a reasonable request and it really, really rubbed me the wrong way when they said No.

2.) I go through tons of reloads (since my range is lead only indoors). The other day I bought a couple of boxes .45s off them. Right off the bat they started jamming and I had a nasty squib (pictures on Combatcarry). I tried them in two pistol with the same results. When I went to return them, the guy (not Don or his son) gave me a really hard time. Very weak.

There is a reason why a lot of us drive 40+ miles each way to get to Four Seasons. I'll also add Collector's in Stoneham to that comment.

Yea I was at the Range in Braintree last weekend and had a new rookie Braintree PD guy shooting his duty Sig 40SW and was using them nasty reloads from hunters.

And into round # 3 jammed in the chamber after I clear it for him Looking at it the case was piss poor resized you could look and see quater inch from the rim up was not resized.

Hunter's

Henchman, I know the rook you are talking about. He's not going back to Hunter's anytime soon. I bought a $600 mitchel arms .22 target pistol from Hunter. It jammed right out of the box and it was brand new! I brought it back to hunt and he told me to clean and oil it; which I had already done. I cleaned and oiled it again and the pistol jammed again. This particular pistol jammed between 3-7 times out of every box of 50 rounds, SIMPLY UNACCEPTABLE. The pistol went back to Hunt twice and both times he had his gunsmith look at it. The first time, he releived some material around the chamber which made things worse; the second time, I brought it back to him the gunsmith told me there wasn't a single thing wrong with the pistol. He said that he tried it with his magazines and my magazines and that it didn't jam once. The gunsmith is a member of the my club in Holbrook; I doubt he remembers me but, I always throw him a nasty look when I see him at the club. I asked for a refund and he said NO. I asked him to buy it back and he said NO, that he had too many pistols in stock and didn't need anymore. The best i could do was shame him into trading it for a shotgun for which I took a $100 hit on the pistol. Stay away from Hunter's Trading Post!

Welcome Ford5of5,

I just have one question. If the gun was bran new, Why not just send it back to the manufacture. They would most likely fixed it for free.

Respectfully,
B.J.

That's a good question BJ. I should have researched the pistol before hand. Turns out it was a remake by mitchel arms of an old style high standared target pistol. Mitchell arms is not known for well made products and this may sound a little weird but I didnt buy the pistol from Mitchell Arms; I bought it from Hunter. I'm a contractor and if I put install a manufactorer's toilet or any kind of product and it fails, then it's on me to fix the issue for the customer. So, with that said, my first thought was to go back to Hunter. I never thought to get ahold of Mitchell Arms(I'm almost sure they are not in existance anymore) and Hunter never suggested it; he suggested his gunsmith. I imagine once his gunsmith took his tools to the chamber the waranty become null and void.

Yea just go see Carl he will always take care of you, He always stands behind any of his sales. The gunsmith at hunters had a heart attack and has past away from what I heard.

Weymouth Gun Shop

This is just my opinion. To each his own...

It seemed as though every time I would go in (this is the place near a Honda shop), the pompous fudd of an owner would be holding court over some poor customer and offering up serving after serving of old wives tales and "information" that was just plain wrong. Finally, one day he did this to me and directly contradicted something in the owner's manual of a handgun that I own. I called him on it and he blustered about "I've been in this business for 30 years, blah, blah" and "they just print those manuals up" etc. In other words total BS. That was a couple of years ago and I swore to myself that I would never go back.

I hadn't been in since, but my first Garand is due soon, and I was passing by on my way home and decided, against my better judgement, to stop in and see if they had any Garand en bloc clips (is that the right term?) - you know, the ones that hold 8 rounds and go "ping" when they fly out. These things, for those who don't know, are cheap parkerized steel and not worth much at all. Most places have a big box of them and practically give them away. Anyhow, I walked in and asked an employee if they had any, and he roots around and finds them, but they are not marked for price. He asks Mr. Fudd, who replies "Five dollars each." The employee looks at him, holds one up and says "these?" to which Mr. Fudd replies "Yes, five dollars a piece". The employee looks back at me and I smile and thank him for his time, and walk out.

I hop in the Jeep and proceed to a very nice shop on the main drag in Plymouth, where they happily sell me TWELVE for EIGHT DOLLARS, and even toss in an extra calling it a baker's dozen. Good people there. Friendly and knowledgeable. Recommended.

The Weymouth shop has every right to charge what they want for their inventory, but they will never get another penny out of me. Buyer beware.

This is just my opinion. To each his own...

It seemed as though every time I would go in (this is the place near a Honda shop), the pompous fudd of an owner would be holding court over some poor customer and offering up serving after serving of old wives tales and "information" that was just plain wrong. Finally, one day he did this to me and directly contradicted something in the owner's manual of a handgun that I own. I called him on it and he blustered about "I've been in this business for 30 years, blah, blah" and "they just print those manuals up" etc. In other words total BS. That was a couple of years ago and I swore to myself that I would never go back.

I hadn't been in since, but my first Garand is due soon, and I was passing by on my way home and decided, against my better judgement, to stop in and see if they had any Garand en bloc clips (is that the right term?) - you know, the ones that hold 8 rounds and go "ping" when they fly out. These things, for those who don't know, are cheap parkerized steel and not worth much at all. Most places have a big box of them and practically give them away. Anyhow, I walked in and asked an employee if they had any, and he roots around and finds them, but they are not marked for price. He asks Mr. Fudd, who replies "Five dollars each." The employee looks at him, holds one up and says "these?" to which Mr. Fudd replies "Yes, five dollars a piece". The employee looks back at me and I smile and thank him for his time, and walk out.

I hop in the Jeep and proceed to a very nice shop on the main drag in Plymouth, where they happily sell me TWELVE for EIGHT DOLLARS, and even toss in an extra calling it a baker's dozen. Good people there. Friendly and knowledgeable. Recommended.

The Weymouth shop has every right to charge what they want for their inventory, but they will never get another penny out of me. Buyer beware.
Nice shop in Plymouth
That place is M&M Plimoth Bay Outfitters - 6 main st. ,Plymouth.

They are open Sundays also.

Fred

Back
Top Bottom