• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Hunter's Trading Post, Weymouth, MA

Every gun I buy there I get a free box of ammo, Four Seasons doesn't do that. If you got to HTP try to just deal with Phil, he is Don't son. He is very knowledgeable and will actually help you as long as it takes. Its tough because I think he works a full time job and just helps his father out when he can.

I know who that guy is you are all talking about and he is not a customer service oriented person. I don't know his name, but I try avoid him now at all costs. Bob is ok there, he isn't a know it all and if he doesn't know something he is honest and up front with you on it. I live so close to the store its tough to not go to them for stuff, but that guy with the glasses is the reason why I don't always go there.

I have bought a several guns and countless ammo and they now help me out with things. I try to deal with Phil when I can as I think everyone does who goes in there. I know someone said they knew both Don and Phil and they need to know about that heavy guy with the glasses. They could have a much better reputation w/o him there.

I think the gentleman in question may be named Dwayne.

Someone needs to encourage Phil to join NES - he seems like a real good guy and I would think that he would enjoy the forum.

Kevin used to take care of me when I went into Northeast Trading. He's gone, and although I'm still treated well, I don't get the special welcome and special deals that he would put together for me.

I think the gentleman in question may be named Dwayne.

Someone needs to encourage Phil to join NES - he seems like a real good guy and I would think that he would enjoy the forum.

Phil probably would like it here. He knows guns and could offer some good feedback. He also has a personality so people would probably get along with him.

That guy may be named Dwayne. Its not Don, Phil or Bob and I think there is only one left. There is a bald younger guy there sometimes too, not sure what he is like though.

Bald...LOL [rofl][laugh2][laugh]

I think he is bald. He's around 30. I don't see him there all the time. I forget his name. I think he only works part time. I try to just deal with Phil when I want a gun because I find you get the best results with him. Bob is good too, but he always seems to be tied up with customers.

I think he is bald. He's around 30. I don't see him there all the time. I forget his name. I think he only works part time. I try to just deal with Phil when I want a gun because I find you get the best results with him. Bob is good too, but he always seems to be tied up with customers.

Matty is not all that Bald. He rides an R1 and is a all around good guy. I really can't complain. Every time I go in there I end up chatting for 30 minutes. Got a great deal on an AR. 2 free boxes of Ammo and a Free $60 gun case that is large enough to hold another AR. I do love Four Seasons as well. Walked in for the first time last week. Got a great Deal on a S&W AR Lower and shot the shit for a few.

Last edited:
Matty us not all that Bald. He rides an R1 and is a all around good guy. I really can't complain. Every time I go in there I end up chatting for 30 minutes. Got a great deal on an AR. 2 free boxes of Ammo and a Free $60 gun case that is large enough to hold another AR. I do love Four Seasons as well. Walked in for the first time last week. Got a great Deal on a S&W AR Lower and shot the shit for a few.

Maybe thats him. I was gonna buy an AR they had there, but $1600 for a post band S&W M&P15T seemed a little high to me. I do like that they always give you a free box of ammo when you buy a gun from them. No one else does that.

phil and bob-great to deal with-great cust. service people-very helpful with anything in the store-don has good and bad days-its dons way or the highway-chubby guy with glasses-gotta go-was in there yesterday he was more concerned with his pizza than waiting on customers-how many slices he was getting-one cust. asked to use his pen to fill something out-he says no!wouldnt even let a cust.use his pen? if my employee-see ya! -called once -he answers-i had a bunch of guns to trade-he says bring them all down-thats what we do here-hunters TRADING post-dug up all paperwork-go there with 4 very nice pieces-mr. personality-chubby guy- says to see don -don wouldnt even open any of my gun boxes-these were exc. -resale pieces-686-mint/browning BL-22 mint/brand new dale earnhardt unfired shotgun-etc. left there so pissed off after wasting all that time-called and went to ply. bay outfitters-M&M -traded all pieces and left with a brandy-s&w perf ctr. 1911-very happy-of course i couldnt hold a grudge forever-been back to HTP -bought a few pieces since when the deal is right-not from pizza guy though-decent local store otherwise-gotta try to support the local guy seeing im from weymouth!

Last edited:
A couple years ago after hearing horror stories about this place I decided to take a go at it myself. I stopped into the shop one morning in need of some 3 1/2 in steel shotgun shells for duck hunting with my brother that afternoon. I wander around the store without anyone even saying hi to me. Awkward. Finally I went to the counter and tried to make small talk. No dice. Don was having one of his "down" days. I asked him if he had any 3 1/2 in shells and he made a point to be annoyed to turn around and reach down to the shelf. He then said these are on "sale". I payed and left with a new respect for all the people who told me not to go in there. I met my brother that afternoon after hiking out to a hunting spot in the middle of the marsh. I opened the the box of shotshells and what did I find? One shell missing and three 3 in #6 lead shot. I thought my little brother who is going to school to become a game warden was going to bury me in the marsh that day. It was my fault for not checking the box before I went out and from now on I always will. For those of you who dont hunt you should know that having lead shot with you while hunting water fowl is about as illegal as it gets. I hiked back to the truck to get rid of the illegal shells and when I returned my brother had dropped two ducks. We did have enough shells that day even without the "Don Hunt specials". I was using that as an excuse to go check the shop out and should have just left without buying anything. Come to find out Don will buy ammo from people in an estate sale or trade in and just throw it on the shelf. I had heard of them selling people guns and giving them (for free yippee!) the wrong type of ammo. They just dont seem to care.

Just last week I went in to see what they had for SD ammo for my carry gun. Guy that was not Don or his son or the other guy that is usually there was sitting behing the counter eating lunch. Or should I say feeding? I asked what they had for carry ammo (noone bothered to greet me). Guy put two boxes on the counter without saying anything to me. I read one of the boxes and asked what the "For short barreled guns" was all about and told him I had a 4.25 gun. He mumbled something and put it back under the counter and continued feeding. I asked again and with a mouth full of something that looked like chicken he mumbled something again. I took that as "No your gun is not a short barrel" and proceeded to purchase the other box of ammo (after opening it counting each one and even pulling a couple for a spot inspection).

Im not looking to make friends but being civil would be nice when I am handing over $32 for a box of 25 rounds.

phil and bob-great to deal with-great cust. service people-very helpful with anything in the store-don has good and bad days-its dons way or the highway-chubby guy with glasses-gotta go-was in there yesterday he was more concerned with his pizza than waiting on customers-how many slices he was getting-one cust. asked to use his pen to fill something out-he says no!wouldnt even let a cust.use his pen? if my employee-see ya! -called once -he answers-i had a bunch of guns to trade-he says bring them all down-thats what we do here-hunters TRADING post-dug up all paperwork-go there with 4 very nice pieces-mr. personality-chubby guy- says to see don -don wouldnt even open any of my gun boxes-these were exc. -resale pieces-686-mint/browning BL-22 mint/brand new dale earnhardt unfired shotgun-etc. left there so pissed off after wasting all that time-called and went to ply. bay outfitters-M&M -traded all pieces and left with a brandy-s&w perf ctr. 1911-very happy-of course i couldnt hold a grudge forever-been back to HTP -bought a few pieces since when the deal is right-not from pizza guy though-decent local store otherwise-gotta try to support the local guy seeing im from weymouth!

I just read this after I posted. I guess his job is to eat. Was he sitting at the counter next to the register watching Judge Judy? He does NOT like to be disturbed when he is feeding and watching his shows. Just plain dumb to treat people like that. I have no idea how they stay in business. Now that WSC is offering a deal on NRA safety courses they may just go under. You will not be missed.

to each his own

you should probably keep your comments to yourself
just cause you dont like someone dosnt give you the right to publicly bash someone

also hamar i have met you in the past and thought you where a nice guy and now have no respect for you

Hmm..I cant say anything but, It's ok for you.

Boy, I'll worry and toss and turn for weeks knowing that you have no respect for me...what will I ever do.

to each his own you should probably keep your comments to yourself just cause you dont like someone dosnt give you the right to publicly bash someone also hamar i have met you in the past and thought you where a nice guy and now have no respect for you
Simmer down a bit Francis. It's the experiances that people are looking for when checking out these write ups. Good service, competitive prices and a decent atmosphere. If there are a lot of bad write-ups about your friends place then maybe it's true. As a matter of fact, I'm so close to Hunters that I could probably lob a baseball into his parking lot from where I'm typing this from but I still do more business at M&M, Four Seasons, Bass Pro, Dick's and yes, even Northeast Traders than I do there. It's to bad too because they lost out on a lot of business. I would have preffered to have gone there but it wasn't worth it to me simply because of the things your reading in this thread. I can't say that I feel any different than many of the others.

to each his own

you should probably keep your comments to yourself
just cause you dont like someone dosnt give you the right to publicly bash someone

also hamar i have met you in the past and thought you where a nice guy and now have no respect for you

You do realize that this is the gun shop review section of NES right? I think this thread has been pretty civil.

You do realize that this is the gun shop review section of NES right? I think this thread has been pretty civil.

a but there is no reason single out a good person and bash them if he/they got treated bad it was probably called for if you go in there acting like a meat head thats the way you are going to be treated and that goes for more than this shop that will carry over i any retail field

and o ya my name is not francis BUDDY

and i dont think it has been civil its a couple of people that have had bad experiences with the place and will not let it go
personaly i have been to other shops and been treated the same way but dont go onto forums and start bashing them

a but there is no reason single out a good person and bash them if he/they got treated bad it was probably called for if you go in there acting like a meat head thats the way you are going to be treated and that goes for more than this shop that will carry over i any retail field

and o ya my name is not francis BUDDY

and i dont think it has been civil its a couple of people that have had bad experiences with the place and will not let it go
personaly i have been to other shops and been treated the same way but dont go onto forums and start bashing them

I've been going to HTP for at least the past 5 years. I've bought thousands for dollars worth of guns from them. So, I feel like I have some experience with the shop. From your post I assume that you have a good deal of experience with them as well. Are you seriously going to come on NES and say that there is not an issue with some employees being rude to customers for no reason? 9 out of 10 times I go there I witness what I would qualify as very poor customer service. I've been treated OK myself and the store is close so I still go there sometimes.

However, I find it hard to believe that even the shop's most ardent supports won't admit that there are some issues at this place?

I've been going to HTP for at least the past 5 years. I've bought thousands for dollars worth of guns from them. So, I feel like I have some experience with the shop. From your post I assume that you have a good deal of experience with them as well. Are you seriously going to come on NES and say that there is not an issue with some employees being rude to customers for no reason? 9 out of 10 times I go there I witness what I would qualify as very poor customer service. I've been treated OK myself and the store is close so I still go there sometimes.

However, I find it hard to believe that even the shop's most ardent supports won't admit that there are some issues at this place?

if you have read back on the thread i have said the guy is a problem and extremely rude i also said i will not go there till after 3 when he leaves so with that said i just dont deal with him but one person will not stop me from going to a store or bash the place

if you have read back on the thread i have said the guy is a problem and extremely rude i also said i will not go there till after 3 when he leaves so with that said i just dont deal with him but one person will not stop me from going to a store or bash the place

The only one I would feel comfortable dealing with is the son. Looks like 12 pages of "meatheads". Noone seems to care for this place. Funny only "meatheads" post about HTP. Seems like you blame everyone else but the shop owner and employees. Come on.

The only one I would feel comfortable dealing with is the son. Looks like 12 pages of "meatheads". Noone seems to care for this place. Funny only "meatheads" post about HTP. Seems like you blame everyone else but the shop owner and employees. Come on.

pretty funny that you only have 7 post and 4 of them are just bashing places

pretty funny that you only have 7 post and 4 of them are just bashing places

Its not bashing. Why dont you understand that? I have a post counter under my avatar spot so you dont have to keep track for me. Nice of you, but not necessary. Yes I did feel strong enough to sign up to this site to tell people of my terrible experience with HTP. I may stop into some other gun shop threads to tell about my wonderful experiences. (Four seasons). So do you work for them? Are you the guy behind the counter? What do you have at stake? Again this is not bashing.

its is bashing and no i am not that guy nor do i work there
but they have been friends of mine for many years

i have nothing at stake but to help protect the integrity of my friends

I have been watching this thread for a long time w/ out a reply but now I will add my two pennies.

Purchased my first three firearms from his shop in the end of 2001, start of 2002. The experience was good, Don helped me on all three purchases and as mentioned by others he throws in a box of ammo.. Sometime around March or April of 02 I go in to look for another pistol. As I walk in I say "hi Don" and all I get is a blank stare. Walk over to the pistol case and ask to look at a CS40. Don says to me "do you think you are actually going buy it". Taken back, I say that I am not sure but was interested din how it felt. He says "Like a gun." (no smile to indicate he was busting balls) Needless to say I didn’t buy that day.

Another time I needed a holster. They put my name on a slip and told me I was in luck as they are expecting a shipment the next week. Over the next SIX yes SIX weeks I call and ask if it is in yet. Finally they tell me they have no idea what I am talking about and they never ordered the holster. Three months after that I get a call saying the holster in. I tell them the story and explain I picked one up from another store. Then they guy gives me a hard time about not buying it.

Now I have been in the store many times between these issues and have purchased ammo, cleaning, supplies, targets ECT. However, I declared to my self a few weeks ago never to go back to that place. I walked in Said Hi to the round guy behind the counter and I get nothing. After browsing for a few I say excuse me......excuse me.....excuse me..... Nothing... Another customer looked at me and made a face and then I walked out.

One thing I have noticed about Don is that he runs very hot and cold. I have seen him be very helpful and excited about helping someone and other times not so much. It’s almost that if he knows you are buying he is super helpful, but if you are not committed he doesn’t want to waist his time. The son, Phil I think, seems nice and is informative and helpful also an employee in his 30's is ok. The other staff makes you feel as if you are getting in the way.

His prices are also high which wouldn’t be a big deal if the service was there. I would rather drive to FS, ZHA or Collectors knowing my business is appreciated.

If you are a close friend the best thing you could do is try and take Don or his son aside and explain to one of them how other people feel. I think most of the people adding to this thread in one way or another say they wish it was better because of the convenient location. Why not give great prices a little help to customers and start selling a ton of guns? Or great service and sell the guns for the same price? How many people do you need working in one store anyway? Gun stores that do alot of sales need a bunch of people behind the counter. Take it for what its worth. I also have nothing at stake.

If you really are their friends tell them about the heavy set guy in glasses. He is helping to ruin their business. The overall theme is this thread is him and how no one wants to deal with him.

If you deal with Phil you get all your questions answered and will walk out with something you want. Bob is pretty knowledgeable too and will take time with a customer for however long he needs to as will Phil. Don as many have said has his good/bad days. I have yet to have an issue with him, but I go in there to buy stuff, usually ammo these days. When they see me they know I'm spending money.

Seems like Phil understands customers and how you treat them and I imagine one day the store will be his. That will be a good thing based on the last 4 years of dealing with them there. I hate to see anyone lose their job, but that heavy guy has to go or at least be banned from dealing with customers.

Back
Top Bottom