• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Hunter's Trading Post, Weymouth, MA

After 6yrs in the military and being back in Mass this was the first place I went to and Don was behind the counter being the only customer in there and browsing for 15mins I was never approached he just sat in a chair watching me like a hawk. When I got upto the handguns he immediately got up and asked for my LTC and what I wanted. Asked prices on ammo which he was rude about. At that point I said, nevermind I'm better off buying elsewhere. He said goodluck the closest dealer is an hour away.

After defending my country and coming home to this. A lazy guy that wont get out of a chair for the one customer in his store, watching me like Im gonna steal something then giving me total attitude. Seriously turn around and conduct business properly or close the doors forever. Never going there again, great 1st impression.

Mr. Fudd replies "Yes, five dollars a piece"

I've bought them for .50 - 1.00 each, some places even hand them out free when buying ammo.

Hunters Trading Post

I went to this shop a few times and have only gotten 2 firearms from them and would never go back!

The customer service is lacking and what you do get is very poor, the owner don has a poor mood most times, takes his time waiting on you. Most of the people he has working in the shop are older and can't answer a question if you had one.

His son works in the shop from time to time and is much better with customers then his father. Price on pistols are high, inventor on rifles are old you can tell the stuff has been there for more then a few months and some are just junk.

He sells reloads and whatever you do STAY AWAY!!!! I had a braintree PD rookie using them in his service wpn and the cases on the reloades 40SW were not resized right and he had them jaming in the chamber!

His ammo was high but can't say that anymore do to all ammo is high at this point LOL. I do not have anything good to say about this shop but to say save yourself a trip and go to Four season!!!!

I live close to hunters but make the drive to four season for a reason carl is the best dealer in the area, the people he has working there are friendly and great to be around. They will take as long as it takes to make sure the customer is happy and that is how you run a gun shop!!!

Last edited:
I buy my ammo at Hunter's, but have never purchased a gun there. A Glock 17 was selling for $595 and came with 2 17 rounders and a 33, but I think that's pretty high for a refurb.

Service has always been decent there the 20 some odd times I visited. Actually, in my experience, they were friendlier than the guys at 4 Seasons.

Hey thats really high for a G17 Refurb! I got mine from carl with 2 17rd mags and a 10rd and night sights and it was like $475

I buy my ammo at Hunter's, but have never purchased a gun there. A Glock 17 was selling for $595 and came with 2 17 rounders and a 33, but I think that's pretty high for a refurb.

Service has always been decent there the 20 some odd times I visited. Actually, in my experience, they were friendlier than the guys at 4 Seasons.

That G17 has been these for something like 10months...I actually think it's not that bad of a price (with the hi-caps) and almost bought it a few months ago, but I picked up an M&P instead

What did he charge you for that M&P?

I think I paid $495, I actually bought both a compact and a FS from him.....

DSCN1769.jpg

Like several people have said, the kid/Don's son, Phil, is a good guy to deal with.

Yea I think I am going to see Carl this Sat or next and trade in a G17 refurb I have and pick up a S&W compact. I just don't use the G17 its nice to have but more a duty/ range gun and I carry alot more then I just use them for target shooting.

Been a long time since I have been in the shop wanted to hear from people that have been in there as of late. What do you all think of the place? I am going to swing in there friday and give them another shoot and see if anything has changed.

Been a long time since I have been in the shop wanted to hear from people that have been in there as of late. What do you all think of the place? I am going to swing in there friday and give them another shoot and see if anything has changed.

I go there for ammo. It's pretty much still Fudd central, so if you are into that scene it's pretty good. Phil, the son, is a really nice knowledgeable guy. The rest of the staff pretty much only knows about hunting stuff. Handguns are, on average, $50-75 higher than FS. The employees all OC in the store, which is pretty cool I guess.

Personally I like the place, I think the son (Phil) is real nice and always very helpful and most of the guys behind the counter are very helpful too. I have bought 4 guns from them in the last couple of months and think there prices are very fair compared to other shops in MA.

I've had just fine experiences in there, I have bought several guns from them over the years (and intend to buy several more). Phil is great, very helpful as are everyone else in there, to my experience.

I went there once when I was having an extraction problem with my Beretta 9000s. I had never been there before, but they were very close to my office in Weymouth, so I decided to give them a try. They had my gun for two days and called me, letting me know it was all set. When I got there, he gave me a gun and a target with a pretty nice grouping on it, saying that the extractor was out of adjustment. All excited, I went to try it and the very first round failed to eject. I wound up sending it to Beretta, and they replaced the ejector saying that it was bent, and it looked like someone tried to bend it back with pliers. Needless to say, I won't be going back there again aside from buying ammunition.

I stopped in there a couple of months ago because I was going to Braintree and forgot to take my 22 ammo with me for my Model 41.

They charged me $35.00 for a brick of CCI SV. That didn't bother me. I needed it and I knew before I went in the door that I was going to pay top dollar.

Their not the cheapest gun shop in the State that's for sure but that's the way they want to run their shop and I have no problem with it.

I've always been treated decently there and have found a couple of good buys on some old S&W revolvers.

But you really have to know your prices and what's a good deal, to shop there.

They just seems to give the impression that they just rather deal with hunters than the average gun owner.

Last edited:
Yeah I went in there this past saturday after two yrs of staying away for good reason. I went in to look around get some ammo and there was all of 2 people in the store. But would you think the words can I help you sir come out anyones mouth? Nope sure didn't I stand there waiting and waiting. I can understand no one at four season asking that, seeing I went there today (tuesday) and there was already 15 people in the store 10min after the doors open.

And I know friends of the owners of hunters read this post and once again what did I spend at hunters? Mmm like $40 and at four season I spent $400. And why is that you ask? Well unlike at hunters Carl will give your a deal on a rifle to move it. I swear they had the same rifles on the shelf that were there 2yrs ago and after look at the tags I can see why. They had a nice tikka stainless in .243 with a cheap 3-9 and they were asking like $619. Was at bass pro and they had a tikka in .308 with no stock and blue finish for $519 given it had no scope but still.

huntes trading posts are hacks

I had brought them a mint condition ruger mk3 .22 pistol and wanted them to put a scope mount on it.
I went back in a week or so when they called.
First problem was they kept my adjustable sights that was on the gun, I went back and complained until they...found them and gave them to me.
Second Problem was when i took it to the range, was loading it, and realized the screws from the scope mount went right thru the gun and was scraping the spring inside the gun.
Good thing i never shot it.....
I took it apart ..used a dremel and fixed it myself..i didn't trust them to do it.
I also found don to be the rudest person i have ever met ...forget buying anything there.

I have done a lot of business there and Don can be tough to get along with if you don't match is personality. I think his son Phil is very customer friendly though. He also knows a good deal on different guns, specs, etc. Its hit or miss there. I think some of the help is useless, but if you go there try to deal with Phil and only him. He is usually the one everyone is dealing with anyway. Don has his days when he can be great and other days when you wonder about him.

Hunter's Trading Post - Weymouth, MA

Feeling compelled to share some experiences with HTP in Weymouth - both good and bad. I bought my very first gun there - about a year ago. It's an overwhelming thing to first get your license then take a browse through a gun shop. Don's son was the first guy I dealt with and he was great. Answered a ton of questions and I bought a S&W airlight revolver in .38. I ended up buying 4 more guns from them.

My next visit I delt with Bob - the gunsmith guy. He was so helpful that I bought all my guns there, even after I noticed they tend to be 20-30$ higher than other places. Because I knew Bob would hav answers to my questions and I felt a lot of loyalty after he spent about 30 mins teaching me how to strip my S&W M&P 9mm. If he's there, I usually end up leaving with another gun. I also had further good experiences with the owner's son, and another younger guy.

Everyone had been so helpful until I went in one morning. Place was empty and this guy in there - don't know his name, but kind of heavy, wears glasses. This guy has completely ruined my perception of the place. He's just difficult. Doesn't offer any help unless you ask, doesn't offer any info unless you know the exact right question to ask, and just doesn't seem to like his job

today I went in after seeing the Walther PPS coming soon on FSGUNS.com. HTP is closer so i stopped in and "what's his name" was there. ugh. the PPS part of the name had slipped my mind so i was trying to describe what i want - "walther p someting. small. newly available in MA". He did know what i was talking about and really didn't care. He said he'd know if there was something knew so there must not be anything.

I said I saw it on fsguns and that it wasn't a new gun, just newly available in MA. He also said that just because fsguns had it listed as "legal in ma", doesn't mean it was legal because "they do shady stuff all the time". I told him I find that hard to believe if they are still around but he kept saying he doesnt' know how they get away with it but they do.

So while he was there in front of a computer, I used my BlackBerry to look it up on fsguns and get the name. he said "yeah, it's not coming soon. we'd have been told". Which i have to admit, i would expect him to have known/been told. So i said fine, i'll take a ride up to fsguns and buy from them

anyway, it's not just that one thing that i find distasteful, his attitude and lack of desire to help me as a customer has completely turned me off to them. I won't go if he's there, even if i have to drive 60 miles to FSguns

anyway, i've had great experience with fsguns too so now they get all my business.

hope this helps

Everyone had been so helpful until I went in one morning. Place was empty and this guy in there - don't know his name, but kind of heavy, wears glasses. This guy has completely ruined my perception of the place. He's just difficult. Doesn't offer any help unless you ask, doesn't offer any info unless you know the exact right question to ask, and just doesn't seem to like his job

hope this helps

Does he have a southern accent?

could be. short hair, big belly. just sits and watches judge judy all every time i go in there. UPDATE: - after I wrote this review I called Four Seasons the next day to find out how soon was "coming soon" on the Walther PPS. The woman on the phone was pleasant and not only told me the price they were selling them for ($599), I found out they were already selling them. The first shipment was gone but I put $100 on one of the next shipment.

no more easting time at HTP. I'll just browse there, then drive to FSguns when I make purchases

I have dealt with "that guy" and his lack of knowledge and customer service does suck! It's amazing why anyone would employ or allow this in their business. I hate when I have to try to convince someone to take my hard earned money.........to bad! I guess.....that is why you don't wait in line there.[wink]

Feeling compelled to share some experiences with HTP in Weymouth - both good and bad. I bought my very first gun there - about a year ago. It's an overwhelming thing to first get your license then take a browse through a gun shop. Don's son was the first guy I dealt with and he was great. Answered a ton of questions and I bought a S&W airlight revolver in .38. I ended up buying 4 more guns from them.

My next visit I delt with Bob - the gunsmith guy. He was so helpful that I bought all my guns there, even after I noticed they tend to be 20-30$ higher than other places. Because I knew Bob would hav answers to my questions and I felt a lot of loyalty after he spent about 30 mins teaching me how to strip my S&W M&P 9mm. If he's there, I usually end up leaving with another gun. I also had further good experiences with the owner's son, and another younger guy.

today I went in after seeing the Walther PPS coming soon on FSGUNS.com. HTP is closer so i stopped in and "what's his name" was there. ugh. the PPS part of the name had slipped my mind so i was trying to describe what i want - "walther p someting. small. newly available in MA". He did know what i was talking about and really didn't care. He said he'd know if there was something knew so there must not be anything.

I said I saw it on fsguns and that it wasn't a new gun, just newly available in MA. He also said that just because fsguns had it listed as "legal in ma", doesn't mean it was legal because "they do shady stuff all the time". I told him I find that hard to believe if they are still around but he kept saying he doesnt' know how they get away with it but they do.

So while he was there in front of a computer, I used my BlackBerry to look it up on fsguns and get the name. he said "yeah, it's not coming soon. we'd have been told". Which i have to admit, i would expect him to have known/been told. So i said fine, i'll take a ride up to fsguns and buy from them

anyway, it's not just that one thing that i find distasteful, his attitude and lack of desire to help me as a customer has completely turned me off to them. I won't go if he's there, even if i have to drive 60 miles to FSguns

anyway, i've had great experience with fsguns too so now they get all my business.

hope this helps

speaking from experience with the guy dont base your experience of the shop on him he tends to be a dick and its to bad everybody else is great and they will do what they can to help i really dont know what he problem is or why he is like that but other than that i would not shun away from them
if you are nice and ask sometimes the will drop the price a few bucks for ya and most of the time they throw in a box of ammo

i hope cause of him you dont turn away just go there after 3 and he is usually gone by then

Agreed, and since I drive by the place every day, that's likely what I'll end up doing. I enjoy very much patronizing the "local guy / family business" but I also feel good about rewarding good service, good product, value add (it's not only about price). Maybe Don reads these posts on the inter-connect-web-net and will fix the issue? ha

...Maybe Don reads these posts on the inter-connect-web-net and will fix the issue? ha...

Well, I am sorry you ran into this clown (and he is a clown). I know Don & Phil and I am going to make sure they know about this...

Yeah, I actually bought a Benelli Super Sport II from HTP and they gave me a free box of ammo for the shotgun and I must say, I have NEVER got a free box of ammo from ANY other gun shop after making a purchase.....EVER. Definatly not form FS guns....but read my review from the and I still have a bad taste in my mouth from them. North Shore Firearms gets my business now, but they don't give out free ammo either!!!!

speaking from experience with the guy dont base your experience of the shop on him he tends to be a dick and its to bad everybody else is great and they will do what they can to help i really dont know what he problem is or why he is like that but other than that i would not shun away from them
if you are nice and ask sometimes the will drop the price a few bucks for ya and most of the time they throw in a box of ammo

i hope cause of him you dont turn away just go there after 3 and he is usually gone by then

Every gun I buy there I get a free box of ammo, Four Seasons doesn't do that. If you got to HTP try to just deal with Phil, he is Don't son. He is very knowledgeable and will actually help you as long as it takes. Its tough because I think he works a full time job and just helps his father out when he can.

I know who that guy is you are all talking about and he is not a customer service oriented person. I don't know his name, but I try avoid him now at all costs. Bob is ok there, he isn't a know it all and if he doesn't know something he is honest and up front with you on it. I live so close to the store its tough to not go to them for stuff, but that guy with the glasses is the reason why I don't always go there.

I have bought a several guns and countless ammo and they now help me out with things. I try to deal with Phil when I can as I think everyone does who goes in there. I know someone said they knew both Don and Phil and they need to know about that heavy guy with the glasses. They could have a much better reputation w/o him there.

Back
Top Bottom