Hunter's Trading Post, Weymouth, MA

Based on the positive remarks in this thread I decided to stop by Hunters on my way back from the Plymouth show.

Store clerks seemed nice enough, however it does irk me that they have to hold onto my LTC just in case I run out the front door while examining one of their guns.

They also have a nice selection of older collectable pistols and long arms, however I know why the have such a large selection: One would have to be a fool to purchase them at the price on the tag. I would estimate some to be almost 200% of a reasonable price. There was a nothing special Garand with the CMP tag still attached that CMP sold for $695 18 months ago with a $1400 price tag.

Not in any rush to go back.

I have been looking at some of those used guns for 20 years, don has talked me out of spending my money more than once. I have never had a rude experience with them but seldom do I walk out lighter in the wallet.

I am not sure why any go's to this shop. Other then if you are a new shooter and don't know any better. When Don hands the shop over to his son then you may see things change for the better. Old inventory, over priced firearms and just bad customer service. Just looking on this forum this shop has the worst ratings. You have much better shops in the same area so go to the other shops and save money.

Last edited:
Stopped by yesterday for the first time. Clerks seemed nice and they had a reasonable number of used Smith revolvers (only thing I'm interested in) at slightly inflated prices. Not sure how negotiable the prices might be. Nothing was on my want list so I didn't bother trying to haggle.

My only gripe is that their website inventory is not kept up to date and doesn't list prices.

Way to go Don!

Just seen him being interviewd at his shop on Channel 7. Speaking in the wake of San Bernardino and explaining why gun and ammo sales rise after such events. "People are concerned."

Damn right we are.

I had a very pleasant buying experience there this morning. I dealt with Jared and he was very accommodating. I asked to field strip the semi auto before I bought it and he said to go right ahead. Some shops won't allow that, but it was no problem here.

This was the first time I've ever been there, but it likely won't be the last.

I stopped in there a few days ago. The guy that waited on me was named Pete I believe. He was great. Good attitude, very helpful, showed me a few extras for the gun I wanted and I was in and out with my new P938 and holster in no time.

I am not sure why any go's to this shop. Other then if you are a new shooter and don't know any better. When Don hands the shop over to his son then you may see things change for the better. Old inventory, over priced firearms and just bad customer service. Just looking on this forum this shop has the worst ratings. You have much better shops in the same area so go to the other shops and save money.

Funny place it is...

last purchase at Hunters Trading Post was ~3 years ago. however recently was in the area so stopped in to visit. was immediately reminded why I didn't come back for 3 years. inventory was seriously overpriced although this is a common problem and I don't automatically discount a shop if their prices are too high. however these folks were insolent about their pricing and misinformed about firearm mechanics. I left and have no intention of ever returning. I do not recall seeing any other customers there....shocker.

their name came up in a discussion today and I went to look them up. Ran the directions from link on their page and it ends in the center of Highland Cemetery.

Put in 2 Winter Street instead of 0 Winter Street and see how that works. On Google or Bing maps, that is.

their name came up in a discussion today and I went to look them up. Ran the directions from link on their page and it ends in the center of Highland Cemetery.

Who's Don, the old guy whose son works there? He's always been good to me, it's the fat guy whose ass is always parked on the stool who trash talks the customers that I can't stand.

Who's Don, the old guy whose son works there? He's always been good to me, it's the fat guy whose ass is always parked on the stool who trash talks the customers that I can't stand.
Don started the company way back when. Supposedly, his son owns it now and Don just helps out. Who knows the real current ownership/financial arrangement? [thinking]

My problem with old Don is that he gets very upset when you question his price or don't buy at his price. He is very proud of his shop and he thinks you are a fool if you even think about shopping anywhere else. He's friendly as heck at first, but he'll trash you good if you leave without buying. [laugh] I just ignore him now and get my help from someone else. [grin]

Oh okay, I get it now, thanks. I hadn't interacted with him more than buying ammo or accessories so he hadn't showed me that side of himself....yet lol [smile]

Anyone been to their new location yet? I still want them to be there and someday I hope to spend more then a few bucks buying the occasional need it now cleaning supply or got lucky digging through the box of holsters.
Someday I think don might just smile and take peoples money vs talking and changing the buyers mind.

Yep, been there already looking for reloading components. The old place was bigger. Still not the best shop around by a long shot. But it's "next door" to me so it's my first stop when looking for something.

Don has his moments, I usually end up dealing with one of the kids.

I didn't realize they had moved - I see the new address and know the area very well, but which building are they in? The old hair/vision place?

I didn't realize they had moved - I see the new address and know the area very well, but which building are they in? The old hair/vision place?
It looks that way. I wonder... did they take over the whole building or just part of it?

At least now they'll have some decent parking.

Only thing good about old Don was when he was handing out those 10% off coupons at the gun shows. Too bad he stopped doing that quite a while back.
Probably because they got caught marking up 20 to nock of 10, or he probably figured he lost money on printing up the coupons.

Yep, been there already looking for reloading components. The old place was bigger. Still not the best shop around by a long shot. But it's "next door" to me so it's my first stop when looking for something.

Don has his moments, I usually end up dealing with one of the kids.
Sucks a bit if its smaller...

Back
Top Bottom