Hunter allegedly aims for deer, wounds track star

I'm a hiker, and while I love cold weather hiking, I stay out of the woods this time of year. Nothing against hunters (my dads one), but if the hunter makes a mistake, sure it sucks for them, but it sucks for the guy on the recieving end of the slug a whole hell of a lot more. With my luck, even wearing blaze orange, I'd find the one color-blind nucklehead sitting quite in a tree stand.

Besides, I don't want to ruin someone's hunt, so I let the hunters enjoy the woods this time of year.

While I agree that one should take care when walking through the woods during deer season, the idea that non hunters should have to modify their activities is pure BS. Any hunter shown to take a shot at a target that he thought was a deer but was wrong, should loose the right to hunt FOREVER. If it was in fact a ricochet, that is a different story.

Why should they not have to modify their activities? Hunting fees pay for a lot of the costs of WMAs. I was out hunting one day and had a bunch of mountain biker fags go riding through a trail and yelling like morons. I had been here since about 4:30 AM and then these asshats go through. Most of the year WMAs are off limit to hunting activity so during hunting season why would it be a big deal to close them to non hunting activity?

Note: I understand that the hunters referred to in theOP were hunting on posted land and are in no way in the right. Hope the kid is ok.

Why should they not have to modify their activities? Hunting fees pay for a lot of the costs of WMAs. I was out hunting one day and had a bunch of mountain biker fags go riding through a trail and yelling like morons. I had been here since about 4:30 AM and then these asshats go through.

Yeah but, did you shoot any?

I bet they didn't even know you were there, and might not have even known it was hunting season. Mountain Bikers are known for that type of behavior, I should know, I used to be one. That’s not to say that all mountain bikers are ass-hats, but when it comes to common courtesy for those around them while riding its often the case.

Why should they not have to modify their activities? Hunting fees pay for a lot of the costs of WMAs.

And with all due respect, I think the idea that the rest of the WHOLE WORLD should stop going into the woods because you paid for a hunting license is just a wee bit over the top

And with all due respect, I think the idea that the rest of the WHOLE WORLD should stop going into the woods because you paid for a hunting license is just a wee bit over the top

And if not for the people paying for the licenses you might not have those public areas to use at all. Why should I not then be able to hunt year round?

And if not for the people paying for the licenses you might not have those public areas to use at all. Why should I not then be able to hunt year round?

You should be able to hunt year round, and by the way, I pay for those licenses too. And there were public areas before licensing fees and there always will be. There is never a shortage of ways that the goverment will tax us for what they deem necessary.
The majority of the money raised by the fees goes towards enforcing the laws that they impose

I wouldn't support that. Either you're a responsible hunter or you aren't. I'm sick of the government limiting everyone in an attempt to stop idiots.
Agreed. And with the over population of deer in eastern MA, we really need the does to be culled.

I wasn't speaking to your post specifically, just the notion that folks keep their kids out of the woods, or stop taking their walks for fear of being shot. That's crazy. But as you said, it's probably the smart thing to do.

Do you carry a gun? If so why? I keep my kids out of the woods during hunting season because there are far too many stupid people in this world. Just because I shouldn't have to do something doesn't mean it isn't a good idea. It is my duty to keep my kids safe, so i do so in the manner I see fit. I don't see how or why you would comment on an action that I take that has nothing to do with you.

So does that mean it's their fault? Just curious. My house abutts convservation land that is off-limits to hunting, but there are a bunch of deer that wander through. I've always been worried about an un-informed hunter (not people on this site, so please no sarcastic comments needed) taking a shot and hitting one of the homes around me. And kids play in the woods; wearing orange isn't exactly their main concern when running around. I can imagine it's tough knowing what areas are allowed and which aren't, unless you're vigilant about it. Signs only cover some much area, don't they? Were the guys shooting black powder? I will admit that I don't know one season from the next; so please excuse my ignorance in the area.

I wasn’t trying to blame the runners. I can’t think if a situation where the person pulling the trigger is not at fault in an accidental shooting. I was just replying to Martlet's question about the odds of shooting at a deer and hitting a person that happens to be in the line of fire behind it. If the deer was running away from one person and toward another then that would bring the odds up.

With all due respect the world has to be shared with other people. Get over yourself. Non hunters as a courtesy should steer clear for a couple of weeks. Just like hunters need to be courteous in return. If some family is having a picnic near your favorite plinking spot wouldn't you wait until they're finished?

How much does a hunting license cost and how many hunters are there in MA?

Also, hunting is the one activity that pretty much precludes all other activities out in the woods.

I've heard a lot of supposition in this thread that the hunter's were hunting on posted land. I've read the press articles and observed the news reports that stated that some part of the trail the kids were running along is posted and they ASSUMED it was all posted land. I have not heard if, in fact, the area in which the hunter's were hunting is actually posted as "no hunting". I am going to dangerously assume that this particular point may not be as clear as some folks here are suggesting, since the police did not immediately charge the hunter's for such a violation. Can anyone point to a reliable link regarding the status of that land??

I've heard a lot of supposition in this thread that the hunter's were hunting on posted land. I've read the press articles and observed the news reports that stated that some part of the trail the kids were running along is posted and they ASSUMED it was all posted land. I have not heard if, in fact, the area in which the hunter's were hunting is actually posted as "no hunting". I am going to dangerously assume that this particular point may not be as clear as some folks here are suggesting, since the police did not immediately charge the hunter's for such a violation. Can anyone point to a reliable link regarding the status of that land??

Valid point. I saw it here and automatically assumed it was factual.

With all due respect the world has to be shared with other people. Get over yourself. Non hunters as a courtesy should steer clear for a couple of weeks. Just like hunters need to be courteous in return. If some family is having a picnic near your favorite plinking spot wouldn't you wait until they're finished?

Yeah, just the other day, this family plopped right down in the middle of the hundred yard range and broke out the basket and the blanket and the whole nine yards. I walked over and clicked on the range light until they were done.

Your logic is flawed. Essentailly you are saying that non hunters should stay clear of the woods for a couple of weeks, you know, just as a courtesy, and to avoid being shot.

Basically, you have decided that your leisure activity is more valuable than theirs is, so they should be courteous and stop it for a little while so you can enjoy yourself. I should get over myself? Hmmm

How about this. If you are a hunter, you should try to be courteous and not shoot at things on two legs.

When you show a house in the Burbs do you tell the prospective buyers that the youngins should avoid the woods for a month or so?

Yeah, just the other day, this family plopped right down in the middle of the hundred yard range and broke out the basket and the blanket and the whole nine yards. I walked over and clicked on the range light until they were done.

Your logic is flawed. Essentailly you are saying that non hunters should stay clear of the woods for a couple of weeks, you know, just as a courtesy, and to avoid being shot.

Basically, you have decided that your leisure activity is more valuable than theirs is, so they should be courteous and stop it for a little while so you can enjoy yourself. I should get over myself? Hmmm

How about this. If you are a hunter, you should try to be courteous and not shoot at things on two legs.

When you show a house in the Burbs do you tell the prospective buyers that the youngins should avoid the woods for a month or so?

Gee sorry. I tried to cite an example of a time when a shooter/ hunter might let someone else use the woods. I thought sometimes people practice out in the woods or at a quarry or the dump or some other place that isn't a designated gun club. And if that were true I was trying to point out that sometimes you may have to let someone else use the place you use to shoot. You know. As a courtesy so that you don't disturb them and so that you don't shoot them. But since my thinking is flawed I guess I'm just wrong and you're right.

turkey_Joe-Blake.jpg

pheasant-9140.jpg

I do a lot of hunting, and a lot in urban areas...with mostly bow. So I'm on the hunters side...but anything but a blatant ricochet here is the hunter's fault. When i hunt I don't expect people to be wearing orange during hunting season, sure it's nice if they do, but not a problem for me if they don't, as long as they don't have 4 legs and look like a deer.

I don't expect they cease their activities because of me...I ask they they be polite and not go out of their way to distract from my activity by not doing anti-hunter things to me. Because I wouldn't go out of my way to discourage their activity...even though, most of their activities they pay no licenses or fees for the way I do for my activity.

If hunters would follow this rule they wouldn't have a problem.. Know your target and backstop. You should be able to ID the deer, buck or doe, and the spot you need to hit it......not just shoot at brown.

How much does a hunting license cost and how many hunters are there in MA?

Also, hunting is the one activity that pretty much precludes all other activities out in the woods.

More BS from supposedly educated people on this site. Why does hunting preclude any other activity? I've been hunting 20 years and have witnessed people mtn biking/walking the dog/walking/running/smoking dope/screwing...etc..etc. I've not stopped them from any of it.

We pay 65 dollars for a license, plus stamps. If someone hunts duck/geese/ they pay an additional 10 dollars conservation stamp. Plus we pay a 5 dollar conservation land stamp that is supposedly used for new property aquisition.

Yet others like mtn bikers/hikers/walkers/runners pay squat for fees, and have Sunday open all day for their activity while we are cannot do ours. How would you like it if you were a mountain biker and they took one of your days off and told you you couldn't do it. Not only that, you paid a fee to do it.....

People that are scared of their own shadow and don't want to walk out in the woods during hunting season are the same people who will think nothing of jumping in their car and driving....which statiscally is a way more risky activity than hunting. Hunting is a way safer activity than most...skiing, mtn biking.....etc. The problem is one hunting accident or someone hurt and it's in the newspapers and politicized negatively right away. Yet 20 people will get hurt at Wachusett Mountain skiing tonight.....and you won't see that in paper. And that happens every night...

Last edited:
Much of the public land purchases that are open to hunting were purchased with funds from the Pittman-Robertson act. It places an 11% excise tax on all arms and ammo. The states also receive money from this fund to manage the land and wildlife. Hikers, bikers, bird watchers, etc do NOT pay anything to maintain or purchase these lands (unless of course they also happen to buy "arms and ammo")

While I believe that all user groups should have access to public land, everyone needs to keep in mind which group(s) pay the freight needed to have and keep those lands open for all to use. Without the self imposed tax, I suspect that much of these public lands would be sub divisions and strip malls today.

I wasn't speaking to your post specifically, just the notion that folks keep their kids out of the woods, or stop taking their walks for fear of being shot. That's crazy. But as you said, it's probably the smart thing to do.

I actually encourage the wife to walk through the woods this time of year. Sporting a fur coat and the new antler hat I bought her

[laugh2] Great idea, and awfully thoughtful of you to make sure she is extra warm while strolling in the woods![wink] Hope she doesn't run into any of those PETA folks, though.[smile]

Much of the public land purchases that are open to hunting were purchased with funds from the Pittman-Robertson act. It places an 11% excise tax on all arms and ammo. The states also receive money from this fund to manage the land and wildlife. Hikers, bikers, bird watchers, etc do NOT pay anything to maintain or purchase these lands (unless of course they also happen to buy "arms and ammo")

While I believe that all user groups should have access to public land, everyone needs to keep in mind which group(s) pay the freight needed to have and keep those lands open for all to use. Without the self imposed tax, I suspect that much of these public lands would be sub divisions and strip malls today.

Pittman Robertson levies taxes on bows and arrows, treestands, all sorts of hunting related things...not just arms and ammo. These funds go towards land conservation, wildlife (game and non game) studies, as well as hunter education.

Remember the next time your walking thru the woods and are annoyed because you may run into a hunter. Remember, that piece of woods may be there for you to enjoy, because of hunting and funds that were levied upon us. I'm not really complaining...it is a consumptive sport...however...we pay our fare share. And still in this state and many others we are limited to only one day per weekend.....to accomodate people who pay squat...yet they still complain.

When I see 11% levied upon mountain bikes, walking sticks and backpacks, as well as a license needed to operate those activities on state lands I'll feel better about the whole situation. Until then those that don't pay for anything should really not complain and just keep in mind that we pay a hell of a lot to do what we do.

Last edited:
Gee sorry. I tried to cite an example of a time when a shooter/ hunter might let someone else use the woods. I thought sometimes people practice out in the woods or at a quarry or the dump or some other place that isn't a designated gun club. And if that were true I was trying to point out that sometimes you may have to let someone else use the place you use to shoot. You know. As a courtesy so that you don't disturb them and so that you don't shoot them. But since my thinking is flawed I guess I'm just wrong and you're right.

Yeah, I am sorry I went off on a bit of a rant there. I think that, like with most things, the truth lies somewhere in the middle. A little courtesy does go a long way from both side. Non Hunters should cut folks in the woods a little slack, and hunters should always exercise extreme caution.

I confess that your "Get over yourself" comment kinda set me off and that I was was wrong to make a blanket statement about your opinion. In general, I tend to agree with the majority of your posts and opinions. Sorry man. Really.

PS. If something happens to you can I have that sweet 1911 pictured as your avatar?[grin]

Thanks I was in a bad mood when I wrote that. Have you ever tried to get a sophomore in high school to finish his homework? I would be happy to give you that .45 but I found the image on the Internet. I'm building one from a remsport frame and slide but that'll probably not be quite so sweet.

On topic - a little anyway - One thing that I think people forget. Almost everyone takes a good hard look when they fire their first shot but when the deer runs off I think that's when things get dicey and the irresponsible types start blasting at noises and movement.

Yeah, I am sorry I went off on a bit of a rant there. I think that, like with most things, the truth lies somewhere in the middle. A little courtesy does go a long way from both side. Non Hunters should cut folks in the woods a little slack, and hunters should always exercise extreme caution.

I confess that your "Get over yourself" comment kinda set me off and that I was was wrong to make a blanket statement about your opinion. In general, I tend to agree with the majority of your posts and opinions. Sorry man. Really.

PS. If something happens to you can I have that sweet 1911 pictured as your avatar?[grin]

Thanks I was in a bad mood when I wrote that. Have you ever tried to get a sophomore in high school to finish his homework? I would be happy to give you that .45 but I found the image on the Internet. I'm building one from a remsport frame and slide but that'll probably not be quite so sweet.

On topic - a little anyway - One thing that I think people forget. Almost everyone takes a good hard look when they fire their first shot but when the deer runs off I think that's when things get dicey and the irresponsible types start blasting at noises and movement.

Yeah, I've been through the Sophomore in high school thing. She is a sophomore in college now and she was the easy one. A naturally good student, we were lucky. My fourth grade son and his second grade sister are a different story. . When did fourth graders start getting three hours of homework? It's like a part time job

The first time I went bird hunting, I might have been accused of blasting away and nearly muzzle sweeping my brother in law. I was 16 and my punishment was cleaning everyones shotgun when we were done hunting for the day. I have not hunted in years but will get back in the woods when my son is ready to learn. We fish a fair amount. Mostly fresh water, catch and release, but we have fished the canal a few times.

I think that statistically hunting is safer than soccer, baseball and even tennis, but when a hunter screws up the media is all over it. Fuel for the anti's to label us. Soccer riot kills 10 people and they are rowdy fans.

Back
Top Bottom