Humidity defense

SKS Ray

NES Member
Since I moved and had to start keeping my collection in safes, I've been battling humidity. Last year wasn't too bad but the stretch of 80% we've had in the last week or so has me oiling everything with Break Free Collector and running the AC 24 hrs a day.

I don't have a way to use Goldenrods in my safes so I ordered a couple of large desiccant canisters. Hopefully they'll be enough.

What's everyone else using to combat the humidity?

Desiccant boxes and put some of that cheapo self adhesive type of foam weatherstripping around the frame of the safe where it meets the door. Have no idea if it actually helps or not, but figured it would help keep the outside air out.

Goldenrod is definitely the way to go if there's any way you can possibly get one in there. It doesn't change the amount of moisture, it just prevents condensation. I suppose you could apply heat externally to the safe and get the same net result?

I picked up a nice self-contained portable dehumidifier at Costco, it has a integrated pump and will automatically restart after a power outage. Not cheap, but very effective and Costco's return policy applies.

I store mine in a finished room in my basement. I have a cabinet, not a safe, so I have some 'breathability" which is good. I have a dehumidifier in the room and it keeps the room down in the high 30's. Sure it's almost 80 in the room but I am not worried about temperature.

I use a pair of Eva-dry canisters. Work well and are easily rechargable using any standard outlet

Two safes with goldenrods. And two gun cabinets that are kept closed with guns in treated gun socks. Once the humidity breaks will check all guns and wipe down again.

I tried the Stack on plug in ones but it seems no matter how long I left them plugged in for the indicator would never return to blue.

Desiccant boxes and put some of that cheapo self adhesive type of foam weatherstripping around the frame of the safe where it meets the door. Have no idea if it actually helps or not, but figured it would help keep the outside air out.

I did the same thing. I have two huge desiccant cans and on my safe put the weather stripping around the edges. The stripping definitely helps as I keep one can outside of the safe(big closet) and one inside and the one inside definitely does not absorb moisture at the same rate. During the humid summer months I can go one to two weeks before recharging them in the oven.

Every chance I get, I throw the little dessicant packs in the safe. They are from pill bottles and plumbing products. There are nearly fifty in there now.

Golden rod would be better as there is an outlet within a foot. Doh!

-Stalking via S3.-

Last edited:
Big ass canisters came in today. Glock in the pic is for size comparison.

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1372898990895.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1372898990895.jpg
    63.5 KB · Views: 78
Back
Top Bottom