• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

EDC Knife, thoughts on plain edge vs serrated for self defense?

All great thoughts but like i said i has to be boston compliant , so far the tdi fits the bill because it is under 2.5 inches.

Yes it may be retarded laws, but this is mass.. and my glock 19 is much more useful in this state than a backup knife for boston

If we have to be lame, I am pretty sure the Izula/II have 2.5" blades.

I would take a Clinch Pick over a TDI, but I'd also PM GPP to see about that guy he knows first.

IF you are hell bent on a TDI (I carry one for work. It's meh), then I would look at horizontal belt mounting options and holsters for it.

That reverse edge of the clinch just for some reason just doesnt make me want to buy one, if it were a a regular bladed version i would i guess

I assume its mainly for thrusting, as the dull curve would push up against the sharpened flat edge during a thrust, making it easier to make bigger holes, but after it connects , a slashing motion would be less effective ?

Like I said, you probably aren't getting away with much slashing if you pull a knife on someone. Your goal should be to stick them like a pig to create space to pull your gun, or run.

That knife has a lot of real life experience behind it's design.

Thanks delkancott. The Candiru is exactly what i needed , it might not have the best handle but i can make something with a bit or paracord and its a fixed blade

You could check out something with the Emerson wave for self defense. They are on emersons, DPx knives, Spyderco and some others. Not a fan of serrations as a sharp knife will cut very well unless you can't sharpen and/or cut tons of rope.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The Cold Steel she posted will also wave open as well as many CRKT models

Tactical spork.

giphy.gif

I took a edge weapon class at GOAL several years ago. Not sure if they still offer it. My best suggestion is to take the class first, it changed my opinions of what type of knife and how to carry it. Lots of food for thought in the class

That reverse edge of the clinch just for some reason just doesnt make me want to buy one, if it were a a regular bladed version i would i guess

I assume its mainly for thrusting, as the dull curve would push up against the sharpened flat edge during a thrust, making it easier to make bigger holes, but after it connects , a slashing motion would be less effective ?

Proper knife fighting doesnt involve thrusting. You should take a class, or get friendly with a flip.

I would go with plain edge because it sharpens easier and would not catch on clothing if you needed to use it last ditch. Also, plain edge slices better. I have the TDI and it's a great carry knife but the stock sheath leaves a lot to be desired. A few kydex holster companies make a better sheath for the TDI.

Last edited:
I prefer plain edge on my blades, in all circumstances. Tactical operators have advised carry knives to always be serrated or semi-serated, but I am not an operator and have never felt my plain edge knives left anything to be desired.

I've been in a few scuffles in my time. I've had a couple knives pulled on me. IF any of those knives had been fixed blades, I might not be here, or they might have died of lead poisoning. That's how much of an advantage they are. The dudes never got them open.

The title of this thread should be: Thoughts on fixed vs. folding for self defense?

Good luck getting a folding knife out and open in the middle of an altercation.
To this point, you have to obsessively practice your opening mechanics and always do it the same way. I've had the misfortune to have to pull a knife twice in defense, both times the blade coming out ended the situation. In the one relevant to this point, I pulled the knife out, deployed it and turned on the group that was trying to jump me so fast that when the police were interviewing us all later they swore that I had a switchblade because I could't have pulled a regular knife out that fast.

Ironically, it was a crappy S&W SWAT knife from the first run in the 90s and had an awkward tip-down carry position and at the time I was obessed with underhand hold. Practice, practice, practice.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom