• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

EDC Knife, thoughts on plain edge vs serrated for self defense?

Hmm the kbar tdi is a pretty small fixed blade.

Not bad i will look into that one more as it is 2.3 which is good.

TDI is a great option for SD. The downside is that you will have to drop another $30-$40 on a new sheath for it. The one it comes with is useless.

I sprung for the knife and sheath on Amazon and am very happy with the combo. It is Discreet, quick to deploy and comfy to wear on the belt. It is also Boston legal.

Great for a woman to fight off an attacker with little training. It's always good to seek training of course, but the crackhead trying to mug you probably hadn't had much training either. He doesn't want to fight, only to rob you.a rapist doesn't want a fight either.

If a ninja clan jumps you, you are out of luck without a gun.

2c

1st cent - fixed blade
cent #2 - you will probably end up using it more for utility, again a fixed is easier to deal with

I had a TDI. the sheath sucks - it's very insecure. The knife itself seems ok but, it's shape doesn't lend well to everyday uses.

CRKT makes a minimalist bowie which has about the same blade length as the TDI and has a pretty comfortable secure handle....much easier to carry as well.

ETA: After owning a few small blades with serrations, whether full or part serrated, I find the blades less useful overall. Keep it sharp and a plain edge will part a rope very easily.

Last edited:
So, srs question for the MA keyboard lawyers on board here, fixed blade is bad, ok I get that. Then why not find a folder sufficient for your fantasy and have a kydex sheath made for it while locked open? It's a folder, so that's gtg, amirite?

2c

1st cent - fixed blade
cent #2 - you will probably end up using it more for utility, again a fixed is easier to deal with

I had a TDI. the sheath sucks - it's very insecure. The knife itself seems ok but, it's shape doesn't lend well to everyday uses.

CRKT makes a minimalist bowie which has about the same blade length as the TDI and has a pretty comfortable secure handle....much easier to carry as well.

ETA: After owning a few small blades with serrations, whether full or part serrated, I find the blades less useful overall. Keep it sharp and a plain edge will part a rope very easily.

It is a "fighting" knife only. If you want a utility knife carry a folder too.

ordered the Fox Dart XT so far and will prob be ordering the esee candiru after i get another paycheck

i couldn't resist that gorgeous knife..its like a nice 1911 that you want to buy

.. its got a liner lock the LAWKs locking safety system, emerson wave feature , a IKBS ball bearing system, a glass punch , and one hell of a blade
597-XT-4__71341.1466154286.1280.1280.jpg

597-XT-7__40753.1466154288.1280.1280.jpg

Last edited:
got it today and i am impressed with the knife so far. i was worried about spending the money on it , but i can see why it costs alot , being made in italy , and its comfortable in the reverse grip which is why i bought it . i love the retention ring design and it is super fast out of pocket with the wave feature due to the quick action of just grabbing the ring with my index finger and externally rotating my arm when pulling it out of my jean pocket. it is not fun to try to thumb open the knife with it in your hand due to the claw wave feature but , this knife is not for everyday tasks. it is purely defensive in nature. i have the cold steel and the others for box cutting and stuff

got it today and i am impressed with the knife so far. i was worried about spending the money on it , but i can see why it costs alot , being made in italy , and its comfortable in the reverse grip which is why i bought it . i love the retention ring design and it is super fast out of pocket with the wave feature due to the quick action of just grabbing the ring with my index finger and externally rotating my arm when pulling it out of my jean pocket. it is not fun to try to thumb open the knife with it in your hand due to the claw wave feature but , this knife is not for everyday tasks. it is purely defensive in nature. i have the cold steel and the others for box cutting and stuff
Is the clip reversible to the other side so I could left pocket carry and use the wave feature?

yes the clip on it is reversible and comes with an extra one, as well as an L shaped screw driver to change it out yourself.

I'm sure all the EDC knife ninjas will laugh at me, but I carry a cheap fixed blade neck knife (I don't wear t on my neck.) The blade is only two inches long, but I figure it's fine for EDC needs. I find it a lot easier to flick off the kydex sheath in my pocket than flipping open any of my folders. It also has a very thin grip, so it's very easy to carry in the pocket. And it cost just under $9. If I lose it, I won't cry.
https://www.amazon.com/MTECH-USA-MT-673-Fixed-Stainless/dp/B00CBRV5JA

I'm sure all the EDC knife ninjas will laugh at me, but I carry a cheap fixed blade neck knife (I don't wear t on my neck.) The blade is only two inches long, but I figure it's fine for EDC needs. I find it a lot easier to flick off the kydex sheath in my pocket than flipping open any of my folders. It also has a very thin grip, so it's very easy to carry in the pocket. And it cost just under $9. If I lose it, I won't cry.
https://www.amazon.com/MTECH-USA-MT-673-Fixed-Stainless/dp/B00CBRV5JA

If I fancied myself a knife fighter, this is probably the route I would go. I am not, so I just carry a folder to cut boxes and the occasional line at work.

in reality the best idea is to run the F away

at 2min you realize that you never ever want to get into a knife fight ever

and this guy isn't even switching hands with the knife with the two handed grip.

Last edited by a moderator:
If you want a knife to win a fight with, get a fighting knife and learn where to stick it. A pocket knife isn't going to do much for you regardless of the edge style.

This. The winner in a knife fight is the guy (or gal) who brought a gun. If you want an option between fists and ballistic acupuncture, get a collapsible baton.

in reality the best idea is to run the F away

at 2min you realize that you never ever want to get into a knife fight ever

and this guy isn't even switching hands with the knife with the two handed grip.

Actually, in reality, the best idea is to absorb, adhere to, and practice without exception, excellent SA (situational awareness).

Last edited by a moderator:
I carry a spyderco civilian, they make a smaller version - the matriarch. It's a purely defensive knife.

Both the Civilian and the Matriarch were purposed designed as self defense knives for people who have zero training in knife fighting. It is not your EDC apple peeler / box opener blade; it is a thin, sharp, serrated wont-stop-bleeding-wound-opening slashing blade

Back
Top Bottom