EDC Knife, thoughts on plain edge vs serrated for self defense?

i am not really a knife person and have had the same 2 knives i use for edc since i got my ltc , the plain edged CS 47 which is my large folder, and a smaller boker Subcom which has a combo edge
Cold-Steel-AK-47-Folding-Knife-CS58TLAK.jpg

01bo586.jpg

been thinking of getting a knife that is more suited to boston knife laws and was wondering before i bought my new edc for the 2.5in blade or under crowd which would be better for self defense?currently i just end up bringing the boker subcom only into boston. but the new edc is exactly 2.5in

so which would you go for a plain edge , or a combo edge part plain, and part serrated

Last edited:
i am not really a knife person and have had the same 2 knives i use for edc since i got my ltc , the plain edged CS 47 which is my large folder, and a smaller boker Subcom which has a combo edge
Cold-Steel-AK-47-Folding-Knife-CS58TLAK.jpg

01bo586.jpg

been thinking of getting a knife that is more suited to boston knife laws and was wondering before i bought my new edc for the 2.5in blade or under crowd which would be better for self defense?currently i just end up bringing the boker subcom only into boston. but the new edc is exactly 2.5in

so which would you go for a plain edge , or a combo edge part plain, and part serrated

Are you planning to use this knife to cut boxes open, or to try and defend yourself with it?

I've been EDCing a knife since 1994 and have used it about seventeen million times, never once for self defense. Plan for letter opening, box cutting, and freeing toys from packaging if you've got kids.

In other words, serrated is much more useful. Ignore the knife laws; they're stupid. Hell, I even carry my EDC in a public school; even our school resource officer thinks it's a good idea.

The knife knifes purpose is solely for defense, the boker subcom would be the box cutter, etc

If you want a knife to win a fight with, get a fighting knife and learn where to stick it. A pocket knife isn't going to do much for you regardless of the edge style.

I know this is a complete different knife, but I've had a spyderco native for the last couple of years. Use it almost daily, I got the serrated model. The knife is very well balanced and lightweight. Made is USA as well. Only thing with the serrations is it makes sharpening more difficult.

Using it right now actually.

image.jpg

If your looking solely for a defensive knife, have you checked out kabar tdi or tops Devils elbow?

You could check out something with the Emerson wave for self defense. They are on emersons, DPx knives, Spyderco and some others. Not a fan of serrations as a sharp knife will cut very well unless you can't sharpen and/or cut tons of rope.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If it's for self-defense it should be fixed blade. End of story. imho of course.

That being said, once you decide on a knife, you should probably see Craig Douglas of ShivWorks, and learn how to use it right.

If it's for self-defense it should be fixed blade. End of story. imho of course.

That being said, once you decide on a knife, you should probably see Craig Douglas of ShivWorks, and learn how to use it right.

and max out your life insurance because you are likely to lose that knife fight we are all fantasizing about.

A lot of experts say that a self defense knife should be plane edged and have a blade length of at least 4 inches. But if you learn how to use one correctly any is better then none.

and max out your life insurance because you are likely to lose that knife fight we are all fantasizing about.
She might very well be the winner of the knife fight, and be the one who gets to die in the hospital instead of dying on the street. Much more comfy, I hear.

I've been in a few scuffles in my time. I've had a couple knives pulled on me. IF any of those knives had been fixed blades, I might not be here, or they might have died of lead poisoning. That's how much of an advantage they are. The dudes never got them open.

The title of this thread should be: Thoughts on fixed vs. folding for self defense?

Good luck getting a folding knife out and open in the middle of an altercation.

I figure the wave feature would be a benefit , and "should" snag and open up out of the pocket ?

And i would love to take a class

I figure the wave feature would be a benefit , and "should" snag and open up out of the pocket ?

I have an Emerson that has that silly snag hook and I pull it out probably a dozen times a day to cut stuff at work and it opens maybe 50% of time if I am not actively trying to snag that hook. If I am wearing anything other then jeans with a jean pocket opening, forget about it.

Considering this is in MGL:

device or case which enables a knife with a locking blade to be drawn at a locked position,

You could easily find yourself on wrong end of an aggressive cop. That being said... if you are buying a knife that auto opens, the fixed blade knife is the ULTIMATE auto-opening knife.

Its like. Always open.

Hmm the kbar tdi is a pretty small fixed blade.

Not bad i will look into that one more as it is 2.3 which is good.

Last edited:
If we are coming to our senses and talking fixed blades, take a look at the Izula II. I have the original and wish I had the II for the tiny bit larger handle.

If we are coming to our senses and talking fixed blades, take a look at the Izula II. I have the original and wish I had the II for the tiny bit larger handle.

Solid suggestion.

You aren't slashing through some hoodrats 5 layers in New England. Get something that is going to punch straight through layers of clothes.

Here's another option that I just found. Apparently Craig makes his own fighter.

https://www.amazon.com/Shivworks-Pr...F8&qid=1469928212&sr=8-1&keywords=clinch+pick

It's backed up by actual experience and testing, so I'm kind of sold.

Edit: Derp. Ed beat me.
Double Edit: OR... you could talk to a custom NES knife-maker who may or may not reveal himself here.

Last edited by a moderator:
I carry a plain edge just because I find them easier to sharpen.

- - - Updated - - -

+1 for a fixed blade. I had the Izula I too and returned it and got the II. That slightly longer handle made all the difference.

Here in MA, there is the concern that a fixed blade could be labeled a dagger (which are illegal). Apparently, lots of LEOs believe fixed blades are illegal.

I may know a guy who could make a sweet EDC fixed pig sticker........

- - - Updated - - -

Here in MA, there is the concern that a fixed blade could be labeled a dagger (which are illegal). Apparently, lots of LEOs believe fixed blades are illegal.

Look man, we are either fantasizing about knife fighting over here, not obeying retarded laws.

Last edited by a moderator:
All great thoughts but like i said i has to be boston compliant , so far the tdi fits the bill because it is under 2.5 inches.

Yes it may be retarded laws, but this is mass.. and my glock 19 is much more useful in this state than a backup knife for boston

Back
Top Bottom