How would one go about doing this legally?

Fooped

Resident HK Guru
Hey everyone,

With the possibility of some kind of AR restrictions in the future, I wanted to pose this plan of action as a possible "AR in the bank" concept:

Good quality stripped lowers are available for 100-200.00 from a variety of manufacturers, and parts kits to turn them into "complete" lowers (minus stock) run 125.00-300.00 with a decent trigger, or as low as 55.00 without.

My question is:

Given that the lower has the serial number on it, and that as I understand it, Mass considers the lower the gun, how "complete" does a lower have to be to register it to avoid any "new ban" issues? This assumes that the "new ban" would mirror the existing Cali ban (registered before the cutoff date).

This would allow for those of us who maybe don't have the money to purchase another complete AR right now, to at least get the lower, register it and have our proverbial foot in the door. Also would this pose any kind of issue finishing the build later as funds became available (theoretically post-new ban)

I did an advanced search on this and didn't find anything that seemed directly related, so any info would be greatly appreciated!

How far away is your window to register your AR'S and or what else is being banned ? Will the registered Receivers/ rifles be able to be transferred to others or are you the last in line for any weapon that you register ?

On what basis are these rifles going to be listed ? just make and model or because they have a PG and or Detachable mag like our draconian laws?

Have you thought of a 80% build Google 80% AR15 receiver and see whats out there that you can buy have sent to you and then finish the item in your own time or maybe leave it in its 80% condition for a future need.

We in California are buying these thing quite a bit lately.

Hey everyone,

With the possibility of some kind of AR restrictions in the future, I wanted to pose this plan of action as a possible "AR in the bank" concept:

Good quality stripped lowers are available for 100-200.00 from a variety of manufacturers, and parts kits to turn them into "complete" lowers (minus stock) run 125.00-300.00 with a decent trigger, or as low as 55.00 without.

My question is:

Given that the lower has the serial number on it, and that as I understand it, Mass considers the lower the gun, how "complete" does a lower have to be to register it to avoid any "new ban" issues? This assumes that the "new ban" would mirror the existing Cali ban (registered before the cutoff date).

This would allow for those of us who maybe don't have the money to purchase another complete AR right now, to at least get the lower, register it and have our proverbial foot in the door. Also would this pose any kind of issue finishing the build later as funds became available (theoretically post-new ban)

I did an advanced search on this and didn't find anything that seemed directly related, so any info would be greatly appreciated!

Technically MA law does NOT consider anything incapable of discharging
a projectile to be a firearm, at least in most cases. That being
said... there is no law that says you cannot register a lower on an FA-10
form, either. (many gun shops do this all the time anyways... whether they
need to or not).

If the registration scheme involves mailing in forms voluntarily, I don't
see how they can call anyone's "bluff" as to wether or not the gun
exists as a completed firearm or not.

-Mike

Last edited:
How far away is your window to register your AR'S and or what else is being banned ? Will the registered Receivers/ rifles be able to be transferred to others or are you the last in line for any weapon that you register ?

On what basis are these rifles going to be listed ? just make and model or because they have a PG and or Detachable mag like our draconian laws?
As of right now, Sam, there IS no additional ban. We're very much afraid that there WILL be an expansion of our current AWB because of recent events - some nut job with a clean record, a permit and an AR15 went juramentado in a strip club in New Bedford, killing 3 and frightening the sheep of a Mayor in that city.

Given that the Dems are about to take control (Gov, LT Gov, AG & 92% of the state legistraiture) of the state completely, we greatly fear that we're about to get bent over the table.

If you had taken the time to get off your lazy posterior and utilized the search function for this forum, you'd realize that this topic has been covered before...

(sorry about that... couldn't resist, someone has to fill in [smile] )
Channelling Scrivener? [smile]

Have you thought of a 80% build Google 80% AR15 receiver and see whats out there that you can buy have sent to you and then finish the item in your own time or maybe leave it in its 80% condition for a future need.

We in California are buying these thing quite a bit lately.

What's the current situation with the named banned receivers/not named receivers loophole?

OK seriously has everyone lost all common sense?
#1. All this "AR ban" stuff is just speculation, has anyone even presented a ban bill in the statehouse...So until there is a new law (or even a "well supported" bill) we have no way of knowing what might happen.
#2. Regardless lets say you want to "stockpile" AR's but can only afford recievers...again common sense...if you do an FA10 on a stripped reciever how are "they" going to know it is complete or not???But some will say that is "shady" becasue it truly isn't a firearm under Mass law.
#3. Don't want to be "shady" and FA10 something that isn't a "firearm" under mass law, well in your case it sounds like you already have an AR. So go buy your new bare receiver(s), strip your existing AR, put those parts on your new AR reciever(s) now you have a "firearm" go file an FA10, and continue w/ all the recievers you have, now you have followed the letter of the law because what you filed an FA10 on was a firearm at the time the FA10 was filed....

Hey everyone,

My question is:

Gents,

Sam asked me to give you guys a bit of background on the California situation.

We have two/maybe three types of banned Assault Weapons.

The original ban, banned ARs and AKs by name and "series" as well as a additional list of specific semi auto rifles that looked evil. These were banned by make and model number. There were two ways to add to these lists. New ARs and AKs could simply be named and published by our Department of Justice. Other things - like new HK Sub clones for example had a process by which the Attorney General (who heads DOJ here) could go through a court process to add them to the list of banned guns.

That didn't work too well because many of the manufacturers changed the names of the guns.

So, subsequently the CA Legislature added a generic definition of an assault weapon that reads a lot like the Boston ban.

Subsequent to that, a lawyer here in California received a lot of rifles from a client as payment. When the lawyer went to the sheriff to claim his guns, the sheriff claimed that one of them was an AK "series" gun, even though it wasn't actually on the list of AKs. The case is a California Supreme Court Case called Harrot v. County of Kings.

The court ruled that the only Constitutionally valid way to enforce a criminal statute that was otherwise as vague as AK "series" was for the AG to list the guns by make and model on the list. That way, we citizens could look at the list and know what is and isn't legal.

In the interim, the AG and DOJ haven't updated any of the lists since 2000.

It took a while but some smart California gun owners realized that this meant that any firearm that wasn't on the list and complied with the "by features" ban is legal for import, sale, and possession in California. They went and got letters where the DOJ attempted to be weasely about it but did admit that they were right under the law and the recent ruling.

My understanding of Mass law just glancing at it is that the place this would really be at issue is in Boston as the local laws are very analogous to the CA laws (cause that's where they came from.)

The key thing we've learned in California is that you can use the beauracracy against itself very effectively. You just have to really read, interpret and analyze the laws and use things like registered mail. On another thread I've been talking about some of the rulings we've gotten about high capacity magazines and the complaint was that you guys are having a hard time getting written confirmation. There is an old trick to dealing with that.

If you get a verbal opinion, note the person, date and time. Type up a letter to them that says something along the lines of "I just wanted to write you this letter to confirm our conversation of yesterday - If this doesn't capture your advice to me, please write me at the address below to clear it up." Send it certified, return receipt requested. Build evidence about what the laws really are and share them here on this forum.

In California, Calguns.net generally as a group knows more about California firearms laws than the CA DOJ Firearms Division, DAs, Defense attorneys, and the legislators who wrote the laws in the first place.

The Brady campaign has made it a strategic goal to get State AG's to have power to ban guns figuring that they could use the bureaucrats to their advantage. We're here to tell you that that is backfiring in their faces in California and you can probably use some of the same tactics to start chipping away at Mass laws as well.

-Gene

Well as of the first of the year the DOJ loses the power to list weapons at all.
More on this to come Looking for links to tell the story better than I could.

And it looks like old IGGY CHIN is going to be out of a job as well. He will have to find another place to shoot up his desk.

IgnatiusChinn2.jpg

What's the current situation with the named banned receivers/not named receivers loophole?

Back
Top Bottom