How to store an air pistol?

dwarven1

Lonely Mountain Arms
Do you need to have an air pistol in a locked case like a "real" gun?

(I'm asking about legal requirements here, not about whether or not it's advisable to keep it locked up and away from kids.)

Ross

Ross, I don't have time to check MGL, but IIRC it is not (by definition) a firearm and there are very few regs associated with it.

Therefore, my OPINION (everyone has one [wink] ) as a layperson is that legally it need not be trigger locked or stored in a locked case.

Isn't a license required to buy an air pistol? If that's the case, I would think that the same laws apply as to firearms.

Not really sure, though.

MikeD122 said:
Isn't a license required to buy an air pistol? If that's the case, I would think that the same laws apply as to firearms.

Not really sure, though.

Nope, you can buy them at Wally World even.

I was wondering about storing them; a friend is selling his house, but his purchase fell through, so he's temporarily living with someone else... and wanted someplace safe to leave his guns. But I didn't know if I had to try and cram the Crossman 1377 into the safe as well or not... I'm running out of room!

Ross

Legally no LTC/FID required for airguns. That said, I've been required by dealers to do FA-10s (NOT required) for most of my airguns and had to show a LTC to buy most of my air pistols! Dealer paranoia is the usual cause of these "requirements" being bandied about. The law does not require anything (except an age requirement).

Air pistols are solely regulated by C269 S 12A and 12B. There is case law already that have ruled other parts of the firearm laws from applying to air guns (Commonwealth vs. Rhodes (1983) for example) which seem to imply that ONLY these sections are applicable to air pistols, but no such claim has been made against the "safe storage laws" as of yet.

Interesting - According to Chief Glidden, there is no "right to arrest" for airgun violations. officers may only arrest on the actions taken by the person (assault, vandalism, etc)

I'd toss a trigger lock on the air pistol just for good measure (if you need one, I have a drawer full of them) and set it in a cloth 'case' on top of the safe. Case could be an old pillow case for all we care.

Chris said:
I'd toss a trigger lock on the air pistol just for good measure (if you need one, I have a drawer full of them) and set it in a cloth 'case' on top of the safe. Case could be an old pillow case for all we care.

It's sitting in one of my gun rugs already... on top of the safe. (were you sneaking in here while I wasn't looking? [lol] [lol] )

Ross

Chris said:
Lets just say the top of the safe rarely needs dusting. Popular place for me to stick stuff. Course, since we had our Baby shower yesterday, the entire safe is now burried in Baby stuff, GAWD, I hate when that happens.

So now you are into camouflage? [lol]

Back
Top Bottom