how to start my 10/22

For the last 6 months or so I've been saying I'm going to buy a 10/22, and I think ammo prices are finally going to drive me to get one. I know, I know, what took me so long?

So my question is - what model should I get. Ultimately I'm going to want to start upgrading and slapping after market stuff on it, but until then I still want a solid rifle. Is one model better for upgrading than another? Or should I just get the cheapest model out there?

Thanks guys!

if you want to get ideas on what to do and drool over some awsome builds check out RimfireCentral.com there is a ton of info on the 10/22
and some good suppliers of aftermarket parts in the sponsors heading on the sight.
if it were me and i was going to upgrade it with aftermarket parts i would buy a good used rifle to start.no point in buying a new gun only to take off almost all of the factory parts.

I don't know what to tell you as far as which exact model to start out with, but, if you plan on upgrading/tinkering around with it, I guess the best option would be to start out with the least expensive one.

If you really start getting involved with swapping out parts, you'll end up with a rifle that cost 2-3 more times than you originally paid for it. Ask me how I know. [smile]

i'd prolly buy a pre-souped up one. I did the numbers and found it'd cost me alot more to build one than to buy one that someone already customized. Theres enough 10/22s that you should be able to find a used one with exactly what you want. You'd lose the enjoyment of doing the build yourself, so its really a choice of it you like the idea of picking each upgrade, or if in the end youre just after a much nicer 10/22 to shoot than stock.

I personally want a 10/22 with all the goodies...including integral suppression....but that will take some time to build and get permits for....a silenced tack driver has always appealed to me.

I would say go for the 10/22T and then get an after market trigger group. Maybe a new stock of the ergos don't work, but if you are going to spend money customizing maybe you should consider a nice 1911 :)

I know I definitely want to build on my own, and I've been drooling over aftermarket parts for a while now. What I'm asking is, is there a particular base model that is better to use as a base for upgrades? Or, on the other hand, is there a particular model that you should stay away from, because it has crappy components that usually don't get replaced, or it's design doesn't accept the same parts other 10/22s do.

I was looking at the 10/22T, but how does that barrel stand up to after market barrels? Wouldn't I just end up replacing it anyway, or is it comparable to after market stuff?

The stock Ruger barrels are not junk and you can end up with some nice groups. Are you going to shoot it well enough from a rest with a nice enough optic to notice the difference? I would replace the barrel last if accuracy was not up to snuff once the trigger (definitely going to need improvement) and ergonomics (may or may not need improvement) are done and you are able to see what the rifle is capable of.

I wouldnt buy a 10/22T only to strip it down and put aftermarket parts into it.
the T stands for target model,that model should shoot great over a plain sporter model.

I'd get a complete receiver if you can, thats all you really need and will eventually want.[smile]
These are the easiest rifles to work on. You can get barrel/stock combos from all over for about $100 that will dramatically increase accuracy.

I wouldnt buy a 10/22T only to strip it down and put aftermarket parts into it.
the T stands for target model,that model should shoot great over a plain sporter model.

+1

If you take that route, there's not much sense dropping $$$$ into it simply to improve accuracy. It might be worthwhile/$$$$ to make cosmetic changes (if there's something you must have), and/or functional improvements like an extended charging handle or mag release.

If you start out with the base model or a used 10/22, you'll end up spending more in the long run, but you'll be able to configure it exactly to your liking. Plus... by building it up yourself you'll be able to better understand and appreciate the function and inner workings of your rifle.

If you do build it yourself, at a minimum plan on replacing the trigger group (hammer, sear, disconnecter, hammer, springs), and barrel. Those upgrades alone will make a significant difference. After that... perhaps the stock and the functional add-ons I mentioned.

One of the nicest things about the 10/22, is that there is a huge selection of after market parts to choose from.

You should also consider what you want to do for optics and mounting hardware and accessories (bipod, extra mags, sling, etc).

Edit to add... if (when), you do change the barrel you'll have to get a new stock. All the after market target barrels are bull barrels
(I don't recall the diameter), and won't fit the channel in the original stock.

Last edited:
So do you think standard aftermarket barrels (those that cost, say, $150 or less) going to be better than the barrel already on the 10/22T?

Last edited:
So do you think standard aftermarket barrels (those that cose, say, $150 or less) going to be better than the barrel already on the 10/22T?

Myself... I have no experience with the 10/22T model, so I don't know.

One other thing I should mention... is if you don't have a C&R license, you really should consider getting one.

Brownells and Midway USA have everything you need. Both offer a decent C&R discount and you have the convenience of one stop shopping.

I would start with a base model and work up from there. you can get a Green Moutain barrel for cheap, they are excellent barrels. Or you go expensive and get a carbon volquartzen. I woun't go with the target until you know what kinda rifle you want to build out of it

I think you need to define what you want from the build. Do you want a tack driver? do you want it to be "tac-ti-cool". Or a tacticool tack driver?

I've built 4 or 5 already and have 4 more waiting completeion. It's a LOT of fun to build up your own. Depending on what you want as a result will determine what way to start. A decent pliker? A GOOD target gun? Just for looks? It al depends.
Be careful buying gone already built up. I've noticed that folks don't normally sell them off if they're a good shooter. They sell them off if they're not a good shooter and most commonly if they simply used "named" but low level parts to build one hoping to trick someone and turn a nice profit. Build your own.
the base model 10/22 will sufice for any starting point really. If you want a dcent target gun from the get-go go with the "T" model as I've found them a bit more accurate than the othe variants. Chances are the stock is gonna be the first thing changed anyways but at least with the "T" you have a nice stock as a spare not some plain ol' one.
As far as a good target one, for little cost...keep the "T" stock, get a Green Mountian bbl and send the trigger assembly to TT Shooter. Drop a decent mount/ind set and scope and you're all set. There's ceratinly lots of chocies in all the areas but the best bang for the buck is the GM bbls and TT's rework of the trigger. With just two exceptions, all my triggers are reworked by him.
here's a few of mine thus far:

DSC02680.jpg

DSC02682.jpg

DSC02686.jpg

DSC02683.jpg

Specific question? Shoot 'em this way.

ZHA has tons of used 10/22's from 75.00 each. Great for just buying them for the rec. I think it's the cheapest route if you want to build one.
Call Jim at 508-584 0291 and ask what's there. They are just base model ones.

ZHA has tons of used 10/22's from 75.00 each. Great for just buying them for the rec. I think it's the cheapest route if you want to build one.
Call Jim at 508-584 0291 and ask what's there. They are just base model ones.

You sure about the price? The website says $125 or $135 for some with scopes. Which is still a great price. I may pick one up for my nephew's 21st birthday. I have time to get some good sights, swivels and a sling for it...

BTW, Chris - I love the new sights I got for mine. They are so far superior to the factory sights that there IS no comparison.

Last edited:
I think you need to define what you want from the build. Do you want a tack driver? do you want it to be "tac-ti-cool". Or a tacticool tack driver?

I hesitate to say I'm looking for a tack driver, because I'm a new shooter and still learning. But I do want a really accurate rifle, a rifle that will shoot better than I do. Something I can use to become a better shooter. Does that make sense?

and, to be frank, I want the fun of building my own rifle; not necessarily "tacticool", but just plain cool.

+1 on Tech-sights, I put them on my tacti-cool 10/22 and love them.

Just a quick question about the Tech-sights. Do they allow for scope mounting also or is it just one or the other? I know removing the scope is a pain, but I guess all I'm wondering is how much of the weaver rail this site system takes up. Anyone got a pic of the Tech-Sites mounted?

Thanks

Just a quick question about the Tech-sights. Do they allow for scope mounting also or is it just one or the other? I know removing the scope is a pain, but I guess all I'm wondering is how much of the weaver rail this site system takes up. Anyone got a pic of the Tech-Sites mounted?

Thanks
Don't have a pic yet, but the rear sights go where the rear two screws for the scope rail go. So I don't think that you can have both.

Don't need a scope with good sights, anyway. [wink]

If you are really serious about building a 10/22, check out the Brownells catalog. Custom recievers, barrels, stocks, etc. If I ever do it, it will be with top shelf parts from Brownells.

Don't forget a set of TechSights. The rear screws into the scope-mount-holes already on top of the receiver. The Front sight replaces the existing front site (both are dove-tailed).
For bull-barrels, there is a slip-on dovetail adaptor.
So simple even I can do it.

Back
Top Bottom