How to out yourself as not being a real gun store, while not saying you’re “not a real gun store”…

The Anchor

NES Member
I was impatient and found myself headed to cabelas looking for in stock .224 heads. Found them and then started browsing the gun library. You never know what your going to see.
After seeing 3 10/22 rifles at full on covid panic prices, I came upon a sporterized arisaka. Price was $250, and I had to look further. Read the fine print and sold as is, with no bolt. Wtf wouldn’t someone there just buy a bolt and make it a functional gun?

That wasn’t what had me laughing, a few overpriced pos rifles later and I see this…I’m no gunsmith but HTF can the purchaser not put a little effort in to figure out what this is chambered in…

You know they price match.

My wife took me there on Father's day a few years ago to buy me a gun. She was disappointed because I wouldn't let her buy it because the price was too high. I told the guy that also and he said oh we price match. He brought up Four Seasons website and saw that they had the gun in stock and sold to me at that price. This was right before they got bought by Bass Pro Shops so I don't know if the policy is still in effect but I would certainly ask.

Don't get me wrong. I'm not probably ever going to go to Cabela's to buy a gun but it was cool in that situation because it made my wife happy.

never thought of cabela's as a gun shop. isn't the original store out west? and that store suppose to have a huge gun shop inside the store, a cabela's inside a cabela's. i remember back in pre-internet times and you shopped from that giant catalog they sent out, it was preppy type and outdoor clothing, picnic hampers and fishing. i guess they expanded to guns...or not.

never thought of cabela's as a gun shop. isn't the original store out west? and that store suppose to have a huge gun shop inside the store, a cabela's inside a cabela's. i remember back in pre-internet times and you shopped from that giant catalog they sent out, it was preppy type and outdoor clothing, picnic hampers and fishing. i guess they expanded to guns...or not.
There was a Cabella's out in AZ, I think, that had a pretty cool gun area sectioned off from the rest of the store with really high end guns. May have been Bass Pro, anything past a decade in my memory banks gets foggy. Both of them were still 'cool' back then.

The store in Scarborough used to have occasional good deals on used guns when their buyer didn't really know what they had. My favorite deal I got there was the sporterized 03 Springfield with a Lyman All-American barrel mounted scope for $499. I sold the scope on ebay for $650 and built my 35 Whelen on what was left.

You can buy bullets there, but they've never been a "Head Shop" as far as I can recall.

I've heard them called heads/projos/boolits...

kinda like subs/heroes/grinders/torpedoes/hogies...

Well, a lot of older reloaders call the projectile heads. Hell I did for a long time and I’m not even that old.
Interesting. I have met a bunch of NES reloaders, all ages, from 30s to some that could have fought in WW2.

I never heard anyone call bullets "heads".

I was big into reloading in the 80’s and I’ve never heard of bullets being called heads or any other damn thing.

Reminds me of my brother after graduation from Wentworth and working his first engineering job calling a few thousands of an inch “a couple of grand”. I was like WTF are you saying? If I was assigned to you as your prototype machinist I’d just walk away from you.
He never said it again near me anyway. 😂

This is super confusing.

The head being the projectile makes sense, it’s just beyond the shoulder and neck. But it’s beyond the mouth, too; so that’s weird.

But the head stamp is at the other end!

And “headspace” has nothing to do with the projectile.

This is super confusing.

The head being the projectile makes sense, it’s just beyond the shoulder and neck. But it’s beyond the mouth, too; so that’s weird.

But the head stamp is at the other end!

And “headspace” has nothing to do with the projectile.
What if the cartridge doesn't have a neck?

I'm not a reloader, but I've seen folks on here variously refer to them as heads and pills, in addition to bullets. Some people just need slangs and euphemism to feel like part of the gang.

I was big into reloading in the 80’s and I’ve never heard of bullets being called heads or any other damn thing.

Reminds me of my brother after graduation from Wentworth and working his first engineering job calling a few thousands of an inch “a couple of grand”. I was like WTF are you saying? If I was assigned to you as your prototype machinist I’d just walk away from you.
He never said it again near me anyway. 😂
I get into it with clients often enough because they talk about adding a couple mils to a part that's dimensioned in mm. "Do you mean thousandths of an inch, or millimeters? It kind of matters."

Back
Top Bottom