How to match a scope to a rifle

For that, I'd take advantage of this sale. I'm running this glass on my 6.5 AR-10. I do believe this was the glass that was used on the Barrett rifles not too long ago. It's a fantastic optic, at a steal of a price. I regret only buying two.
Wondering... Why scope vs red dot on an AR-10?

Thanks to all for the thoughtful responses. There are a couple considerations i didn't think of.

For those that are wondering, its a LR308 pattern, PRS stock, 20" fluted barrel, Aero receivers, wilson combat bolt and barrel. Wont be the lightest rig. Goal is sub MOA, but wont know how far off from that i am for another few weeks. Hoping to build something that excels at doing 200 - 300yrd egg shoots, but will spend the majority of time at 100 - 150 yards due to the local ranges. $800 - $1800 is the range, would favor the value side.
A 1 to 4x, 1 to 6x, or 1 to 8x scope, as much as you can afford for that rifle in that distance range. Also budget for scope rings or a good cantelever scope mount preferred.

I have a 4x scope on my 308 boltaction, that good enough for 300 yards shots? Or do i need a bigger scope? I shoot hand guns mostly, dont know anythings about rifle.

If you’re on a budget, the answer is likely an SWFA SS 6x42 or 10x42.

this focus on magnification is meaningless. All magnification means is decreased field of view FOV and light transmission. For example, quality glass at 4x will shit all over a 12x in terms of being able to identify targets and connect at range.

The most important elements of a scope have nothing to do w magnification.

Last edited:
I have a 4x scope on my 308 boltaction, that good enough for 300 yards shots? Or do i need a bigger scope? I shoot hand guns mostly, dont know anythings about rifle.
Depends on your use, hits on torso size targets yes. Are you trying to see a 4” target at 300 yards, maybe not.
Hunting ? Target shooting.
if you got it use it for now. After some time you will figure out what you like or dont like.

Vortex has its place. But, as soon as you get into Razor territor, there are better choices for the money. I own only one Vortex product, and I only got it bc it was (and still is) a tremendous bang for the buck. But even this one ought to be replaced down the road, most likely with an NX8 nightforce 1-8. I admit I’m a fanboi of NF products, and therefor biased. Another option would be a SIG Tango6 FFP.
I'm going to have to disagree with you on that. The Razor line is every bit as good as Nightforce and March. My shooting buddy has A March, Nightforce, and Vortex Razor (I don't know the models, but they are all the SR-legal ones at 4.5X max). When we went to Perry a couple of weeks ago, he brought the Razor. He likes it that much.

March is great glass. Too much money though.
Nightforce is very, very good glass, but I think they are living off of "peer-pressure popularity". I know quite a few SR shooters who are looking to sell their Nightforce gear because they are moving to the new White Oak Distinguished Rifleman scope (at half the price).

I'm going to have to disagree with you on that. The Razor line is every bit as good as Nightforce and March. My shooting buddy has A March, Nightforce, and Vortex Razor (I don't know the models, but they are all the SR-legal ones at 4.5X max). When we went to Perry a couple of weeks ago, he brought the Razor. He likes it that much.

Nightforce is very, very good glass, but I think they are living off of "peer-pressure popularity". I know quite a few SR shooters who are looking to sell their Nightforce gear because they are moving to the new White Oak Distinguished Rifleman scope (at half the price).

Its awesome there are so many choices for a SR optic now. In 2016 when i jumped onto that band wagon, that Leupold Mark AR was about the only choice.

Depends on your use, hits on torso size targets yes. Are you trying to see a 4” target at 300 yards, maybe not.
Hunting ? Target shooting.
if you got it use it for now. After some time you will figure out what you like or dont like.
8inch steel plate at 300 yard max, now i have to look 4 a bigger scope . Paid 160 for a cheap 4x weaver scope a while ago. Long range shooting is a rich man game lol.

Attachments

• 20210814_100605.jpg
    20210814_100605.jpg
    360.1 KB · Views: 5
8inch steel plate at 300 yard max, now i have to look 4 a bigger scope . Paid 160 for a cheap 4x weaver scope a while ago. Long range shooting is a rich man game lol.
There are scopes that dont require rich
Plus you need to find those that are rich that chase the next great thing in XYZ and dump their “old” equipment.

if you can see your target thats all you need.
Best thing to do is frequent matches at local clubs where the games use optics.
I learned the most about scopes hanging out with bench rest guys.

The answer to the original post is very basic systems engineering.

What is your concept of operations? How do you plan to be using this optic? What use case(s) are represented in this concept of operations?

Once you have your use cases, you can derive some requirements for the optic. Weight, clarity, reticle, eye relief, magnification, durability, repeatability in tracking, price. Once you have your requirements, you can find the optics that fit your needs, and select your favorite based on reviews, reputation, value, etc.

Picking an optic has very little to do with the actual gun. There’s no reason you couldn’t have a red dot on a bolt action 308, and no reason you couldn’t have a 5-25x on a 22lr. I can think of valid use cases for each.

It’s mostly just how you intend to use the optic. A few notable exceptions are when the gun requires a long eye relief optic because of mounting solutions, or needing a particularly durable optic for something like a SCAR-H that is brutal on optics.

I’m thinking of doing the same with the Nightforce SR.

Also, when comparing the Nightforce ATACR 1-8x to the Vortex Razor 1-10x, I’ll take the Razor. Nightforce did improve their reticle, but they still have the diopter slaved to the magnification adjustment, so your diopter adjustment changes as you change magnification. That’s a no-go for me. I love Nightforce, and they’re not coasting on their reputation like Trijicon. They are still innovating. But they’re hard to justify now if you don’t get their great military discount.

I generally start from the budget, which I use generally anywhere between half the value of a rifle to equal value.
From there it depends on use.
For instance I have one AR15 thats a cheap beater plinker and for that I just tossed a garbage chepo red dot while others have higher quality glass

OP, my only advise is...

whatever you end up getting, never compromise for a couple of hundred dollars. Spend the extra money on the better scope. You won't regret it.

Back
Top Bottom