• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

How to defend against a well prepared invader

Palladin

NES Member
http://www.boston.com/news/local/ve...lled-couple/YI4edYp1K7Ri1bKnqPVX1K/story.html

‘‘Keyes then engaged in what he called a ‘blitz’ attack on the Curriers, and ran to the room he had earlier predicted was the bedroom. Keyes estimated it took him approximately five to six seconds to get from the broken entry door to the Curriers’ bedroom,’’ Chittenden County State’s Attorney T.J. Donovan said. ‘‘During this time, Keyes wore a headlamp to provide lighting in the otherwise dark home.’’

The above statement is what's most interesting. This guy was on these poor people in 6 seconds...!! [thinking]

In the infantry they teach that you need 3 to 1 odds in your favor before attacking a fixed position, but that only counts if there are always guys guarding the perimeter. The average guy in an average house is probably toast 9 times out of ten when caught with his pants down by a well prepared attacker.

In the infantry they teach that you need 3 to 1 odds in your favor before attacking a fixed position, but that only counts if there are always guys guarding the perimeter. The average guy in an average house is probably toast 9 times out of ten when caught with his pants down by a well prepared attacker.

101st Airborne took Hamburger Hill in Vietnam where the PAVN outnumbered them 3 to 1. Maybe they thought they were marines.

Average well prepared attacker will last 6 seconds or halfway up the stairs, whichever comes first, assuming he gets past the conibears.

This is why an alert dog(or five) is invaluable. The dog/s would warn you long before an intruder even got near the house.

Lights, cameras, ACTION!!!

The plan needs to "buy time" or deliver advanced notice as well as getting you armed quickly. We got to look at it as a math problem.

How fast can you get in your house - How much time it takes you to be ready from the first sign of danger = your safe time. Sadly for most, this is a negative number.

I just don't pick up my son's Lego bricks on the floor over night. [rofl]

THIS. I step on those GD things at least once a week and damn near kill myself.

As for my house, I have a small speedbump for intruders, and she doesn't like people messing with her 'puppies'
View attachment 46379

Last edited by a moderator:
it suck to shot someone inside your house. Who is going to clean up the mess ? -_-" What if the robbert dies in your house? Is his evil spirit will stay behind and haunt you ? Because i do believe in ghost..

101st Airborne took Hamburger Hill in Vietnam where the PAVN outnumbered them 3 to 1. Maybe they thought they were marines.

Average well prepared attacker will last 6 seconds or halfway up the stairs, whichever comes first, assuming he gets past the conibears.
No, if they were Marines they wouldn't have conducted the attack because they didn't have enough photographers and reporters with them.

Brutal attack:

After binding the two with zip ties, Keyes drove the Curriers, both in their 50s, to an abandoned house in Essex that he had already scouted. He tied Bill to a stool in the basement. Lorraine Currier had been left in the car and managed to escape. Keyes tackled the fleeing woman and brought her back to the house, Donovan said.

He shot Bill Currier in the basement with the silenced gun. He then sexually assaulted and strangled Lorraine Currier,

I suppose this would be an ever ending debate, I personally think any intruder that has done his homework (Knows the basic layout of the house, if there are animals (You walk your dog right?)) Is most likely to get you. I use a small amount of delay with the hope that maybe I can get to mine before they get up to the bedroom. I replaced the screws in the ouside door plates with long 4" ones (On the hope that it will take 2 or 3 kicks to break the jamb and get in the door. I also have 2 small kids, so we have gates at the bottom of the stairs and top which I keep closed. And trust me, if you don't know how to get those damn things open, they will trip you up....lol. Also have an alarm for all doors windows on the first floor and basement.

I have a driveway alarm sensor in my apartment staircase, the alarm part is in the bedroom.

So someone coming in will set off the alarm.(hopefully) waking me up. I sleep with my AR next to my bed. So by the time he gets to tbe door. Ill be waiting.

I have a water bed that I retrofitted a sleep number mattress into. The slot between my mattress and the side rail holds my pistol perfectly when we are sleeping.

I fall into the bedside gun safe category... Although I have two dogs that would alert, I do think time would still be very limited.

Serious question though, with children in the house do you leave your gun unlocked/unsecured not on your person at night? Occasionally a kid will wake me up in the middle of the night and I wouldn't feel comfortable having an unsecured gun near my bed. Maybe I'm just over cautious....

Back
Top Bottom