• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Today at the range; thanks to Steve Anderson

allen-1

NES Member
I took a class with Steve Anderson, something more than a year ago, and afterwards bought his books. I'm working my way through them for the second time. There's lot of good advice in them, and a bit of it caught my eye the other night. He was discussing the concept of continually moving while shooting, rather than racing to a point, stopping, shooting and then starting up again.

It really hit home because my moving is the absolute worst part of my shooting. I do pretty well in Steel Challenge because there's no movement, (other than Outer Limits), reasonably well at IDPA and a whole lot less well than I'd like at USPSA.

USPSA is all about points per second scored. Every second you're not scoring points, you're bringing down your score.

So, today I went to the range with the goal of working on my movement. I set up a starting postion, a shooting position 7 yards away, and a second shooting position 5 yards from the first. Threw in a couple of barrels to obscure the targets and starting running it. 7 yard dash/lumber, two shots on target, 5 yards to the next shooting position, two shots on target. Stop, tape over anything outside the Down-Zero, (IDPA targets), and do it again.

I ran this probably 40 times with my G44, (.22) and finished it off with 10 runs with my CO, (G34/SRO).

Serious improvement between first runs and final runs. I'm going back out this week to do it again before my match Saturday.

As for the G44. It came in about 10 days ago, and I've finally got its ammo choice sorted out after trying four different types. It's partial to Remington Golden Bullets - and I have plenty of them. What's nice is that the gun and mags fit into my G17/G34 gear, so I can use the stuff I already have, that I'm familiar with. Since I wasn't really working on my shooting, .22 with iron, (okay - plastic), sights was fine - and it allowed me to focus on my movement.

Hard and soft setups into moving positions make a huge difference also.

So even if you have to move into a position to shoot, you should come in shooting or ready to shoot, and be in a position to leave and not a static one. Unless it is a very difficult target. It takes about .2s for a solid setup or step.

I did this video for a friend a while back to show him just how much time he was losing on a hard static set up. I rarely shoot with both feet planted.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=587ArX8-h3w

Hard and soft setups into moving positions make a huge difference also.

So even if you have to move into a position to shoot, you should come in shooting or ready to shoot, and be in a position to leave and not a static one. Unless it is a very difficult target. It takes about .2s for a solid setup or step.

I did this video for a friend a while back to show him just how much time he was losing on a hard static set up. I rarely shoot with both feet planted.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=587ArX8-h3w

Neat. Very visual.
Thank you

You are fortunte to have a range where you can move. Even if I could find time on a day where there's noone else there, I don't think the range safety would allow it if they see me.

You are fortunte to have a range where you can move. Even if I could find time on a day where there's noone else there, I don't think the range safety would allow it if they see me.

I just came home from running errands and spending some time at the range. The range down here as 12 tactical pits, about 8 of them were occupied when I got there. Lorenzo had setup Tim Herron's barrel drill in one, and I shot with him for almost two hours. Shot the drill, then modified it and shot some other stuff. We ran, we drew from the holster, we shot on the move, just normal practice.

Got back in the truck to run my errands, (pharmacy, grocery store, hardware store & liquor store), and had an email from one of the two clubs that I belong to in CT. It was reminding everyone of the rules for the practical pit. No running, no drawing from the holster, no using of props, etc.

The two ranges are very, very different.

Back
Top Bottom