• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

How to defend against a well prepared invader

I have young kids. I use a semi auto with the pipe clear, takes a second to rack a round in and your kids won't be able to mess with it even if they disobey you and pick it up. By the time your kids can figure out how to rack the slide and shoot, you should already be teaching them to shoot and use it safely anyway. I figure that method is good up until the teenage years when they regress into dumbasses, then I will have to lock them up.

I have young kids. I use a semi auto with the pipe clear, takes a second to rack a round in and your kids won't be able to mess with it even if they disobey you and pick it up. By the time your kids can figure out how to rack the slide and shoot, you should already be teaching them to shoot and use it safely anyway. I figure that method is good up until the teenage years when they regress into dumbasses, then I will have to lock them up.

I carry with the chamber full. I use my carry gun as my home defense gun and I keep the chamber full. I do that for a couple reasons. First, my manual of arms is always the same, whether I am drawing the gun from my holster or picking it up out of my lockbox -- the chamber is full and it is ready to go. If it was sometimes one way and sometimes another, then chances are at 0-dark-30, when Mongo is breaking down the door I'm going to forget that the chamber wasn't charged, which would be a whole bucket full of not good.

Second, since I use my carry gun as my home defense gun, I would have to unload it every time I got home. The problem comes when loading it the next morning -- repeatedly chambering a round will often cause bullet setback. Bullet setback can lead to overpressure and catastrophic failures.

I wouldn't count on kids not figuring out how to rack a slide. They watch TV and learn the darndest things.

That's where I'm at now.... 12 y/o that although he has shot a 10/22 and know about gun safety, there is still that level of youth lack of common sense....

I've told many people who use a bedside safe for their home protection gun that I could be in bed with them before the gun was ever removed from the safe.

And this is why I oppose any storage laws. Got kids? Use common sense.

Bedside safe and and one of those vicious pitbulls you hear about in the media. Unfortunately this one wouldn't bark at an intruder....

I replaced the screws in the ouside door plates with long 4" ones (On the hope that it will take 2 or 3 kicks to break the jamb and get in the door. I also have 2 small kids, so we have gates at the bottom of the stairs and top which I keep closed. And trust me, if you don't know how to get those damn things open, they will trip you up....lol. Also have an alarm for all doors windows on the first floor and basement.

Interesting. What other security measures and obstacles would one face in your home? Any vacations planned? What is your work schedule?

home-break-in-1.jpg

Isn't that why God made German Shepherds? Prepared invader or not, my GSD will definitely alert and delay long enough for me, my wife and kids to do what needs to be done....if she doesn't kill him herself. Part of why we are getting a nice big male from Germany......

My big 'ol 115 lb. Rottweiler is a big baby, but I've seen her get upset with people walking in our yard once or twice, and she is very intimidating. I would hope she would stall an invader long enough for me to be ready to fend him off, or scare him away altogether. By nature Rotties are very protective, which in this case would be a good thing. If they get by her, they'd still have to deal with Mr. Browning.

My big 'ol 115 lb. Rottweiler is a big baby, but I've seen her get upset with people walking in our yard once or twice, and she is very intimidating. I would hope she would stall an invader long enough for me to be ready to fend him off, or scare him away altogether. By nature Rotties are very protective, which in this case would be a good thing. If they get by her, they'd still have to deal with Mr. Browning.

I think that extra 15 seconds to wake up and figure out where you are will make all the difference, even if she makes some racket because she is trying to lick him to death.

I think she may surprise you Nighthawk. I too had a 100lbs+ female that was very sweet. Someone, with whom she was familiar, once approached me in my home very aggressively and she was between us before I knew it. He went from aggression to fear in a single moment. Unless your dog is a real anomaly, I would say you are all set should she sense real danger.

My house was robbed last year. The dirtbag came in through the kitchen where we keep out 95lb greyhound during the day. My dog is a big pu$$y, but I was surprised that a burglar would chance an encounter with a muscular, waist-high dog.

My house was robbed last year. The dirtbag came in through the kitchen where we keep out 95lb greyhound during the day. My dog is a big pu$$y, but I was surprised that a burglar would chance an encounter with a muscular, waist-high dog.

Depends how the dog acts when the person approaches:

1. If the shades were open on the kitchen door and the would be intruder walked up and the dog starts tail wagging at him, he's likely to have a go at it, particularly if he's armed and not very afraid of dogs.

or

2. If the intruder couldn't see into the house and broke in without your dog barking.....well once he's in if the dog isn't attacking he knows your dog isn't a killer, so he goes about his business cleaning you out.

Dog size doesn't really matter to intruders unless the dog is aggressive. Besides, everyone knows virtually all Greyhounds are sweet dogs, don't they? Is your Greyhound a rescue, TimMcG74?

Gorgeous dog, Dustoff22. Tervuren or GSD? Looks more like a Tervuren in the photo.

Like others, I count on my dog to give me a couple seconds warning. I have a bedside, gun vault brand safe with knives close by as well. This guy looked for houses without dogs.

I think the key here is that when you run into someone like this, you need to fight as hard as you can, this guy tortured this poor couple for hours before killing them. There are lots of good people out there, but there are some pure evil people as well.

Keyes told investigators he chose the Curriers’ home because it had an attached garage, no evidence of children or a dog, and the style of the house clued him in to the probable location of the master bedroom.

Just out of curiosity, what would make an attached garage (versus an under garage) so attractive?

Gunvault on the nightstand. When I go to bed, I open it. When the alarm goes off in the morning I shut off the alarm and close the safe. In the Gunvault I keep a Sig 226 with a rail mounted laser and light and 2 spare magazines. Two dogs and an alarm system
I know that I wouldn't stand a chance against an assault team, but short of sleeping with a loaded AR next to the bed, I feel pretty comfortable

Gunvault on the nightstand. When I go to bed, I open it. When the alarm goes off in the morning I shut off the alarm and close the safe. In the Gunvault I keep a Sig 226 with a rail mounted laser and light and 2 spare magazines. Two dogs and an alarm system
I know that I wouldn't stand a chance against an assault team, but short of sleeping with a loaded AR next to the bed, I feel pretty comfortable

This. You can only do so much. Alarm with central monitoring and warning horn if the power fails. Dog that barks and gun close to hand. You need a plan too - just like you should have a fire evacuation plan you need a plan for what to do if someone breaks in - and everyone in the house should know what it is and what their role is.

Just out of curiosity, what would make an attached garage (versus an under garage) so attractive?

Just a WAG, but most attached garages have a back door, usually 1/2 glass, making it easy to break in w/o being seen from outside or heard inside the house. Also most people leave the connecting door between garage and house open since their garage is locked anyway! Dumb but that's your average person.

I used to keep my 45 in a "bed-side safe". After reading through this I don't know why I ever thought that was a good idea.

Back
Top Bottom