• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

How the hell do women folk carry?

Hiltonizer

Banned
Wife got her CCW recently and picked up an SR9c to match... we've been trying to figure out a good carry method for her though.

I picked her up a cheapo Fobus just for range/OC purposes... but with most of her tops being "fitted" it looks asinine trying to conceal it. Overpriced and in her opinion hideous purses with built in holsters are a no-go, as would be a fanny pack. (I took the girl out of the city, you know the rest)

I'm just Amazon'd a cheap $10 clip-on IWB for myself for lounge-wear carry, we'll try clipping that into her bag as an experiment.

Any other thoughts? I'm not sure an IWB on her would look much better and with women not wearing undershirts often I doubt it would be comfortable.

My wife carries her SR9c in a purse from Gun Toten Mama (have to Google it, on phone and can't link to it). It looks like the purse she was using for work anyway. But purses are a personal thing for a woman. Might be worth a look.
Good luck
Aloha

http://www.youtube.com/user/limalife?feature=results_main

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ogGBPVk5GQk&feature=plcp

http://www.corneredcat.com/Concealed_Carry_for_the_Fashionable_Woman/

All resources by women who pack heat, so they have better knowledge of this than
we do. [laugh]

There are probably other resources, but I'd start there.... in some cases she might have to make choices she isn't going to like having to make. There's obviously more than one way to approach the problem, though.

-Mike

hmm... yes.... 2nd video bookmarked.

I got a complaint, so am taking the picture out. I really thought it was in the fun nature of this forum, and was pretty sure the OP person was doing this maybe partially in fun since they said "women folk", so it was all in good nature. Sorry if I offended anyone.

That said, either on her or in a bag (purse or fanny pack) are the choices. She can choose from which of those best meets her needs of fashion and protection.

Last edited:
If she has a great ass carry in a shoulder rig will go un-noticed. If she's got great ta-tas then a sturdy garter holster under a skirt is the way to go.

My ex carries hers in thunderwear and pretends she's hung like a dude. It apparently works for her because nobody has outed her yet! [rofl]

M-Looper-Flashbang-holster-web.jpg

But it would look great for open carry.

You're in NH. Go with it!

Only thing sexier than her is her when she's open carrying [wink]

Love NH. If I had a dollar for every time a Tractor Supply Company employee said "nice, what are you carrying?" when I bend over to pick up some chicken feed.. i'd have gotten 1 or 2 dollars off every bag of chicken feed [smile]

My girlfriend got this for her LC9 recently, she still has to try it out but can already tell it wont work with fitted shirts either (obviously)

she is having a tough time finding any way to carry other than wearing dresses and a garter holster which I told her should be all she needs!

only other thing I could see as a possible option would be the small of her back, but she would need longer shirts and higher pants and who wants that?

A lot of the videos posted, particularly faliaphotography, are good sources of ideas/info generally. Addressing your specific questions from my experience (I'm aware that this is all merely my opinion and that there are likely exceptions to everything I say below):

Wife got her CCW recently and picked up an SR9c to match... we've been trying to figure out a good carry method for her though.

Depending on her body size, that may be a big gun for her to start CCW with. I'm all for carrying a serious caliber with significant capacity, but if she's remotely slim & stylish, and it sounds like she is, then that gun is going to be a serious challenge for on body carry as a starting point. Having gone through this and watched a number of women do it, I recommend starting with something smaller, even what most here would deride as mouse guns - it's going to be much easier for her to CCW something the size of an LCP - there are less compromises for her style and comfort. If she succeeds in carrying that, she can always move up to the SR9c later, but if CCW becomes frustrating and negative at the beginning, it can quickly become a chore and something that will not be a regular habit.

I picked her up a cheapo Fobus just for range/OC purposes... but with most of her tops being "fitted" it looks asinine trying to conceal it. Overpriced and in her opinion hideous purses with built in holsters are a no-go, as would be a fanny pack. (I took the girl out of the city, you know the rest)

I agree with her on the purses. I know someone already recommended Gun Tote'n Mamas...this is completely an area of personal preference and style, but I have yet to find a holster purse company that makes things I would remotely consider carrying from an aesthetics point.

This doesn't rule out purse carry - unless she needs some special feature like a lockable compartment, have her look for purses she likes that have a stiff construction (i.e. something other than a hobo bag, preferably something that can "stand up" on its own) and a pocket or compartment of the appropriate size. Then get a pocket holster to fit the gun. Works just fine. If she wants it even more secure, she can sew the holster into the purse.

If she's seriously into her purses, you may want to consider having a holster purse custom made. This is NOT cheap, but if she appreciates quality leather goods and can limit herself to not needing a different purse for every day of the week, it can be an attractive and functional option. A lot of the holster makers do some stunning work.

Any other thoughts? I'm not sure an IWB on her would look much better and with women not wearing undershirts often I doubt it would be comfortable.

I have never found IWB to be problematic without an undershirt. Her mileage may vary of course, but don't discount this option. Whether IWB will work is more dependent on 1) her body type and 2) what compromises she is willing to make with her wardrobe. You cannot wear baby doll tees and skinny jeans and CCW on body. There has to be SOMEWHERE to hide the gun. She can pick where, but she may very well need to change her style in order to CCW. It sucks. More than most guys appreciate.

She may need several options for different styles of dress.

Appendix carry seems to work well for a large number of women. Unless she's an A cup, she can find plenty of shirts that will showcase her assets and leave enough room to conceal a small pistol at the appendix position. Anything past 2:00 is GENERALLY harder for women IME. Have her try the holster at all possible positions. Remember that dark colors and patterns will mask the gun much better than light colors and plain fabrics.

If she wants to try thigh carry, do NOT skimp on the holster. I agree with falia's recommendation on thigh holsters...there should be a recent review in this section of the forum. Works great, but not likely to make her happy with something as large as a SR9c...I have mine set up for a slim .380 and it's still only compatible with flared skirts. There's no way I could conceal or be comfortable with anything larger, but that will of course vary with body type.

Don't automatically rule out ankle carry - I hate it personally, but I've seen it work great for a few women and as long as she wears flared pants, she can keep the tight shirts and snug low riders. [wink]

i carry an lc9 in a desantis pocketuk. i wear it about 5oclock. does not work with fitted shirts but is covered completely by a tshirt or other untucked top. also tried a smartcarry holster. looked like a frikken codpiece with certain jeans but disappeared under others. i was also hoping for an easy answer to my carry questions, but found i really needed to try stuff on my body to see what works.

I had our own Queen Bee as a guest at my range once and she was concealing a Glock 26 at the 5 o'clock position IWB in a crossbreed supertuck holster. She's a slender girl who wears "fitted' jeans and thin tops (at least she was when we got together). I didn't even know she was carrying until she showed me. I also wonder how the heck women conceal carry with the "fitted" clothing some wear... needless to say I was very impressed.

Get your wife a good IWB holster that is adjustable for cant and ride height (like the Crossbreed Supertuck or Comptac CTAC) and I bet the gun will disappear the second she finds the right combination of cant/ride height/belt position.

A point I forgot: I'm sure that most here appreciate the value of a good gunbelt. I have yet to find a leather gunbelt that does it's job and doesn't feel and look like I'm wearing a hula hoop. I've found that the kydex-lined synthetic belts, like the Wilderness Instructor belt, do a good job of supporting my gun while not adding much more bulk than a regular woman's belt.

If she's going to carry a mouse-sized gun (generally things guys would pocket carry, but which most women will still have to carry in a holster on the belt), she can find plenty of "fashion" belts at her favorite clothing store that will give her the support she needs for the gun and not further disrupt her normal modes of dress.

Back
Top Bottom