How much wood do you need?

Andy in NH

NES Life Member
NES Member
I was curious as to how much wood a person would need in order to survive a cold night stuck out in the woods without a dedicated shelter, sleeping bag, or other equipment. In other words, what would I need to do, and how much would I need to prepare when faced with an unplanned bivouac?

The scenario I envisioned was that I had become lost in the woods and needed to stay the night in order to avoid stumbling around in the dark and risking injury. I simulated that I had one hour to gather wood for a fire before darkness set in.

For this experiment, I was well rested, had eaten a good breakfast, and was sufficiently hydrated. I had not spent the entire day outdoors exerting myself by hiking and eating only trail food.

The air temp according to my Brunton Nomad was 24*F. The sun was out (although I was mostly shaded by the forest) and there was a light wind. There was about 4" of hard packed snow on the ground with 1" of powder on top. I wanted the temps to be a little colder, but this was the best chance I had at this exercise before a storm came through later in the week.

P1101671.jpg

I selected an area of the forest which had an abundance of wood lying around. Part of this area had been cleared during the summer, so there were plenty of fallen trees to break branches from.

P1101672.jpg

I began by collecting a bit of tinder and some finger size sticks from the branches of downed trees. I also looked around the general area for dead limbs and small dead trees. I had my wood-prep tools with me, but confined myself to only using wood which I could break with my hands or stomp into smaller pieces with my feet. There wouldn’t be any sawing or splitting wood on this trip.

P1101673.jpg

After an hour of gathering, I had a stack of wood piled up that was about 3’ high and 4’ across. I had only traveled about 15 yards around the area I had selected for my fire to collect the wood. I didn’t spend any other time in wood prep other than to break the wood into pieces about 18” in length. I planned to further prep the wood as I fed it into the fire. This would be the only wood I used in the test.

P1101675.jpg

As part of the test, I wanted to further assess the effectiveness of expedient fire reflectors.

I used a USGI casualty blanket with some bungee cords for the first fire-reflector.

P1101676.jpg

The corners of the casualty blanket have grommets in them and I simply hooked the bungee cord into the top corners and then routed the bungee cord around the tree and hooked the bungees to each other.

P1101678.jpg

The bottom of the casualty blanket was secured by merely laying a log on top of it. This proved to be sufficient as the winds were light throughout the day. This fire-reflector was assembled in about four minutes.

P1101677.jpg

The second reflector consisted of a generic Mylar “space blanket” and several lengths of 550 cord.

P1101680.jpg

To erect the reflector, I tied an overhand knot in each corner of the space blanket to keep the cordage from slipping off.

P1101681.jpg

Then I tied a round-turn and two-half hitches just above the overhand knot.

P1101682.jpg

Each top corner of the space blanket was tied off to a tree using a taught-line hitch. This hitch is simple to tie and quick to adjust.

P1101683.jpg

The bottom corners were secured by simply by wrapping the line around a log and adjusting the tension. Again, this proved sufficient.

This fire-reflector took a little over ten minutes to assemble. Compared with the casualty blanket (which unfolds easily) the space blanket had to be deliberately unfolded. This was not as easy as spreading a sheet over a bed. I took additional care not to rip or tear the space blanket. This is what took up the majority of the time, and additional time was spent tying all the knots.

P1101685.jpg

Prior to starting the fire, I took a temperature reading using my Cen-Tech Non-Contact Pocket Thermometer. I wanted a baseline temperature reading in which to compare later after the fire was going.

The casualty blanket read 28*F on the outside (green) and 30*F on the inside (reflective).

The space blanket would not give me a consistent reading. After several attempts the readout on the thermometer would display temperatures +/- 50*F.

I lit the fire (blast match, cotton balls / Vaseline) and sat down on my trusty square of USGI closed cell foam mat.

P1101686.jpg

Thirty minutes into the test –
The fire was well established. I used the pocket thermometer to take a few more reading. Behind me, in the area of the casualty blanket that was “shadowed” by my body, the temperature was 60*F. To the side, in the area with a direct line to the fire the temperature was 107*F. On the outside of the casualty blanket the temperature was 36*F behind my shadow and 40*F to the side of it.

P1101688.jpg

The space blanket continued to give sporadic readings; “Hi” <error>, 211*F, and 146*F on the inside. The outside temperatures were a little more consistent; 16*F, 22*F, and 25*F.

One hour into the test –
All the finger sized wood was consumed. I started to use the larger pieces of wood, breaking them smaller with my knee or by fire cutting them.

P1101694.jpg

I had set the casualty blanket up so that the wind would be at my back, but as the day wore on, the wind swirled around from different directions and naturally kept the smoke in my face for most of the afternoon (or at least it seemed that way).

P1101691.jpg

Two hours into the test –
I noticed that the area directly underneath the space blanket was devoid of snow. Thinking that I’d rather have that energy directed back at me, I got up to reposition the space blanket.

P1101697.jpg

I adjusted it so that it was more vertically oriented.

P1101698.jpg

It was at this time that I noticed some holes in the space blanket. Some holes were the size of a pencil. I’m not sure if they resulted from embers coming up from the fire or from the space blanket getting too close to the flames.

P1101701.jpg

The nature of the way I had the space blanket set up and the light wind caused the space blanket to “billow” back and forth from time to time. The way I managed the fire was also inconsistent. At times I would allow the fire would burn down to just coals. Then I’d add some wood, and then the wind would pick up, fanning the flames higher than I had anticipated. From this point on I made sure to keep a better watch on the flames and their proximity to the space blanket.

I used the pocket thermometer to take a few more reading. Behind me, in the shadow, the casualty blanket read: 71*F. To the side, the temperature was: 112*F. On the outside of the casualty blanket the temperature was 38*F behind my shadow and 40*F to the side of it.

“S.A.W.G.ing” an average of the readings for the space blanket resulted in 143*F on the inside and 40* on the outside.

Three hours into the test –
Once all the medium pieces of wood were gone, it was difficult to keep the fire small enough to protect the reflectors and at the same time large enough to sustain the largest pieces of wood. This would have been a good time to break out my Corona folding saw and my Fiskars hatchet so that I could prep the wood into smaller and more manageable sizes, but I limited myself to gathering what I could with only my hands / feet.

I had placed a small key-chain on the bungee cord next to my head; as you can see it reads; 57*F.

P1101695.jpg

I used the pocket thermometer again to take a few more reading. Behind me – in the shadow, the casualty blanket read: 41*F. To the side, the temperature was: 104*F. On the outside of the casualty blanket the temperature was 37*F behind my shadow and 41*F to the side of it.

The space blanket continued to give sporadic readings; 165*F, 109*F, and 96*F on the inside. The outside temperatures were; 54*F, 39*F, and 33*F.

I was out of usable wood; this combined with the unexpected length of the test helped me decide that the test had run its course. I packed up and headed back inside.

Lesson learned –
The wood I had collected in one hour was sufficient to last me three hours without getting cold or even shivering. The fire reflectors certainly helped, as my back never got cold, but I was surprised that so little wood lasted as long as it did. I one point I was so warm that I took off my coat, CW pants, and boots.

P1101704.jpg

One hour prior to darkness is not sufficient time to decide that you are going to be spending the night “under the stars” and collect wood / build shelter. If the temperature had been any colder, then snow deeper, or the wind gusts higher, the results would have obviously been different – and not from a beneficial standpoint. The fact that I was neither mentally or physically fatigued, nor injured at the start was also a factor in the outcome of this experiment.

If I were to do this again (under the same conditions; i.e. – no wood tools) I would focus exclusively on only collecting wood I could snap across my knee and smaller. Wood larger than this (that I could only stomp on or smash over a rock to beak down) was still too big to keep the fire under control and sustained.

Collecting a sufficient amount of wood for this test was enabled by a shallow snow cover and abundance of blown down trees. There was plenty of other wood to be gathered around the area if I had allowed myself more time. Now that there is an additional foot of snow on the ground, finding enough wood would be dependent on the available time and using branches / standing dead-fall. In this part of the woods there are still plenty of tree tops from the 2008 ice storm lying around that this would not be a problem.

One other thing I wanted to do (but didn’t) was to clear away the coals and lie down on the heated ground and cover myself with the casualty blanket, just to see how well that worked and for how long.

Next time I’ll use the space blanket on the same side where I sit and the casualty blanket across from me. I’m curious to see if sitting with my back to the space blanket will make any difference.

I also suspect that two smaller fires located at 10:00 and 2:00 in front of me may be warmer than one big fire located at 12:00 to my front. My hunch is that more heat energy would pass by me and be reflected.

Just a tip for tying off space blankets instead of tying a knot in the blanket corners put a round stone in the other side pinch it up and tie around the stone. Easy, also allows you tie from the middle if needed.

Nice socks, dude.

And very informative post!

As for wood being too big...I usually carry a CS Trailmaster with me when I go places. I use that to split wood. Batoning is a lot easier and efficient than axing or sawing, IME.

Good stuff Andy. Thanks.

Do you feel that a Dakota fire hole approach might have been more effective? This is something I'm interested in testing.

Great post ... very informative. Thanks for the thoroughness.

I'm keeping an eye out on the upcoming BIOLITE stove as a potential source of emergency heat that is fueld by leaves, twigs, pine needles, etc. The thing looks like a great alternative when wood supplies are scarce and a great cooking device any time. Obviously it needs to be tended, so won't keep you warm while sleeping, but as an emergency heat source it seems like it'll have great potential.

http://biolitestove.com/BioLite.html

Until that comes out....try a #10 can with some holes punched in it. It's fairly rudamentary....but it's cheap.

IME, it actually works reasonably well. With nothing but tinder/kindling sized stuff, it throws a good amount of heat, and it's easier to keep going than a teeny little fire.

I'm keeping an eye out on the upcoming BIOLITE stove as a potential source of emergency heat that is fueld by leaves, twigs, pine needles, etc. The thing looks like a great alternative when wood supplies are scarce and a great cooking device any time. Obviously it needs to be tended, so won't keep you warm while sleeping, but as an emergency heat source it seems like it'll have great potential.

make your own woodgas downdraft stove (google the terms)

Thanks to everyone who left a positive comment / rep.

...how about triangulate your two blankets with a rock face.

I considered that, but there was no rock face available in the AO.

Just a tip for tying off space blankets instead of tying a knot in the blanket corners put a round stone in the other side pinch it up and tie around the stone.

That's a viable technique, but I didn't feel like digging through the snow, past a thick layer of leaves and into the frozen soil looking for some pebbles.

Do you feel that a Dakota fire hole approach might have been more effective?

What MrTwigg said:

Wouldn't that be kinda tough to do with the ground being frozen ? [wink]

I was wondering about using a stone or overhang. I also wondered if it made sense to put the shelter or the fire on the stone side. I think I would opt for shelter with fire on the outside.

So, how much wood DO we need? Do you have a photo of the pile of wood before and after a night's worth of burning? It would be useful to know how much to gather beforehand, rather than have to wake up and do that in the middle of the night. Thanks for doing this interesting exercise. It could help save somebody's life some day if they ever got lost while hiking or camping or doing other outside activities.

Last edited:
So, how much wood DO we need?

The exercise I conducted was just a short test, not a full blown rehearsal. One of the limitations I placed on the test was not to move at "night" in order to get "un-lost". The notional scenario involved harboring up during darkness in order to avoid getting more lost or risking injury.

On the night of the experiment, darkness set in at 5:05pm. The next day it was light enough to see again at 6:46am. That means there was ~13.75 hours of darkness.

The wood I had collected in one hour was sufficient to last me three hours without getting cold or even shivering.

I would need to collect wood for 4.5 hours to have enough to last through the amount of time it was dark.

However, the temperature on the night of the experiment dipped to 16*F; a full ten degrees colder than at the time of the test. So in actual practice, the amount of wood required would be even higher.

Do you have a photo of the pile of wood before and after a night's worth of burning?

Before:

After an hour of gathering, I had a stack of wood piled up that was about 3’ high and 4’ across.

After - It would have looked much the same as before, but with less wood and more ash. [wink]

This was one exercise under one set of circumstances; wood availability, equipment availability, site selection, weather effects (snow cover, temp, cloud cover, wind), astrological conditions, and psychological / psychological conditions. Every situation will be different - I would not be able to go out today and recreate the exact circumstances of the experiment. However, I have learned a few lessons (and reinforced others) about conducting an unplanned bivouac based on empirical experience and not just academic research.

Seems like you would have to have something sitting on top of the stove to project the heat out into the enclosure. In the demo video the outside of the stove stays cool. Seems like the stove would not project much heat towards you but it would all go straight up and out.

They also don't say how long you can keep the stove burning for. The demo only shows him using it to heat up some water for cooking

http://biolitestove.com/Full_Demonstration.html

I like the idea though - it's pretty cool.

Great write-up and sounds like a lot of fun!

On taking temp readings off the reflector: the reflector acts as a mirror for the infrared radiation that your temperature gun picks up. You were basically metering off whatever was reflected in the Mylar "mirror": fire, snow, yourself, etc. Hence the inconsistent readings.

If you want to measure temp at the reflector, attach a sticky note or tape similar piece of paper to the center of the Mylar once it's set up. Then meter off that paper surface. It won't significantly affect the amount of heat being reflected, but will give consistent readings.

For rate of burn: your analysis of burn rate is great, and reinforces what most folks already know: larger logs will burn longer but with greater flame. A good idea I learned from backwoods of the Ozarks mountains was to find a fallen log, maybe half-foot diameter and 10-15 feet in length (ie a log you can drag), and feed it into the fire as it burns after your campfire is established. The wood will pre-dry due to the heat as you move it in, and will last all night. It's a larger larger heat source and you may not be able to make use of the reflector, but it will last longer and generate more heat to compensate.

Jason

Without walls and a roof to protect you from the elements and without a furnace or stove to hold the heat in that the fire produces - all you are going to do is burn a lot of wood.
My guess from all my days hunting, camping, and spending time outdoors is that you would burn somewhere in the neighborhood of about a half a cord of wood per a day if you did not have a shelter or a stove.
All the space blankets in the world is not going to protect you if you do not have adequate shelter and warm / dry clothing.
Especially if the temperature dips down around zero.

If I had to spend a night outdoors - I would want a double bit axe and I would look for a location on the downward slope of a mountain - near a stream - since having water is more important then having wood.
I would cut pine bough's and I would build a lean to shelter and stack the pine tree branches over the top.
If there was no snow - all the better.
If there was snow - then I would stack pine tree branches on the bottom of the lean to - so I would not have to lay on the ground.

I would stack - non sandstone rocks around a fire pit and I would surround my camp site with logs which could be cut into firewood.
I would keep my fire as small as possible and burn the chinks from the logs I cut first and save some chips in case the fire refuses to burn.
I would also collect as much pine tree pitch as possible - to also use as fire starter in bad weather.

If you got enough pine tree branches together and enough fire wood together - then you could focus your attention on finding something to eat.
The chances of finding a porcupine in the wild is usually the same as finding dollar bills along the road.
Even finding rabbits is a hit or miss - because most rabbits where I live - lives near the houses and not out in the woods.
That would leave squirrels, deer, turkeys and what else wanders into your camp site.
I would also search the water source for fish.
If you are hungry enough - you will eat almost anything.

For desert - I would cut off some small birch branches and suck on them.

Stacking rocks in fire/coals to later sleep next to or cover and sleep on after fire is out would help get thru the night if you couldn't gather enough wood.

Back
Top Bottom