how many take their cmp rifles to cmp shoots/matches?

mac1911

NES Member
Ok just curious how many of you out there bring your cmp acquired rifles to cmp shoots/matches.
I try to go often more or less when I get to go to the range I go when there is a cmp shoot/ match.
With 3 young kids I'm doing well if I get out once a month. I only ask as it seems even at our local club its the same crowd with very few new shooters. The old crowd is also getting smaller, sadly.

Last edited:
At BR&P they typically get 25-30 shooters for the CMP match days. Since I'm RO that day, when I walk the line, I get to recognize about 1/2 of them as regulars and the rest as newbies to the matches. The regulars bring their own guns. I'd guess most of the newbies use the club guns (M1 Garands and AR15s-we bought the special CMP models a few years ago when they were available).

I've shot a few times at BRP with my own M1, I'd like to get out more often but it's almost impossible since I work weekends.

Ok all the garands and carbine that came in over the past year. Anyone go to cmp match
What rifle
Where did you shoot
How did you do.

Checking in for roll call. JC Garand matches with the CMP Special. Planned to shoot the '03 NM in Springfield matches but...

Had an agony of defeat moment during a ski race this winter and am currently in non-shooting status after shoulder surgery. Hope to be GTG for the New England Games in September.

If we get 6 people to show up for a Garand match it's a good day.

If we get 6 people to show up for a Garand match it's a good day.

do you run it 200/300/600 ? that would be fun.
I know turn out is not always good. local club is trying by adding all the other matches including a mondern military... turn out is still very low.. Im trying like hell to find a spot in my busy life to get to Reading looking to maybe Ma service rifle match (if i didnt miss it allready) or the last mid range prone.

just funny to see people buy all these CMP offerings yet not many actually come out to play. I try like hell!

- - - Updated - - -

I missed my clubs Garand match due to WORK :(.
well theres another on the 12th just a little south east of you

I'd like to but they are not well advertised. And usually nowhere near me either, which means I'd have to leave way too early to enjoy it.

I'd like to but they are not well advertised. And usually nowhere near me either, which means I'd have to leave way too early to enjoy it.

I have found that even on the CMP site it's tough to find many. It's a long haul for me to get to Old Colony but that's a good one.

What Garand / Springfield matches are closest to Worcester or north central Mass???

do you run it 200/300/600 ? that would be fun.
I know turn out is not always good. local club is trying by adding all the other matches including a mondern military... turn out is still very low.. Im trying like hell to find a spot in my busy life to get to Reading looking to maybe Ma service rifle match (if i didnt miss it allready) or the last mid range prone.

just funny to see people buy all these CMP offerings yet not many actually come out to play. I try like hell!

No, we run them at 200. I imagine rack grade Garands shooting surplus HXP (which is what the majority seem to show up with) would be pretty challenging at 600. I've never tried it myself but maybe someday, though I'd probably load up some better ammo. (Mine's just a service grade and it shoots pretty good for what it is except that it keeps shitting the clips out early in the rapids. Hard to put up a good score when you save 4 or 5 rounds in every rapid string....)

We still have a lot of across the course highpower on the schedule. If you have a good Garand (and good ammo) you could always shoot those matches. There's one guy who used to show up with a really nice match tuned Garand in .308 pretty regularly and he hung in there but I haven't seen him in a while.

We have the MA state highpower championship match this Sat and an EIC match on Sun. There's still a couple league matches left too. Our schedule is pretty full until we go to Perry, after that we wind down and Nashua and Pelham have most of the matches.

Braintree R&P runs CMP matches every 3rd Saturday March thru November (plus a Frosty Shoot in December) and regularly gets 15-30 shooters each month. It's open to the public. It's shot at 100 yds with your own rifle or the club's M1 or AR15.

I don't understand why any club that does it regularly wouldn't get >6 shooters to show up.

Braintree R&P runs CMP matches every 3rd Saturday March thru November (plus a Frosty Shoot in December) and regularly gets 15-30 shooters each month. It's open to the public. It's shot at 100 yds with your own rifle or the club's M1 or AR15.

I don't understand why any club that does it regularly wouldn't get >6 shooters to show up.

15-30 is outstanding. Question though how many of those are new and then repeat shooters?

I have found that even on the CMP site it's tough to find many. It's a long haul for me to get to Old Colony but that's a good one.

What Garand / Springfield matches are closest to Worcester or north central Mass???

I agree the cmp web sight sucks. For charter with 200mil plus in the kitty you think they would have something better/easier.
Another thing to keep in mind if it's not a "Match" you won't find it on cmp web site. If the club is affiliated and just running a cmp shoot you have to check the club's in your area yourself.

Here are the sanctioned matches for Massachusetts. As seen above Braintree runs a CMP,shoot every month but you won't find that on the CMP MATCH schedule because it's not sure sanctioned match.
This is why you need to check clubs in your area to see what they are doing.
Also Pembroke runs sub matches along with the M1 garand match. Example June 12 it's a as issued M1 match and service rifle/modern military match. I figured we would pick up a few AR shooters especially now optics are allowed but it seems most of the AR shooters just want to shoot 50 yards for center of mass hits.

FILTER ACROSS ALL FIELDS:
Title and Sponsor
Dates
City
State
Type
Registration
Cape Ann Sportsmans Club 2016 GSM Clinic
Cape Ann Sportsman Club Jul 10 2016 Gloucester MA CMP Clinic Inquire by email
Cape Ann Sportsman Club Sep 25 2016 Gloucester MA CMP Clinic Inquire by email
Cape Ann Sportsman Club Nov 06 2016 Gloucester MA CMP Clinic Inquire by email
Old Colony Sportsmens Assoc. 2016 As-Issued Military Match
Old Colony Sportsmen's Assoc Jun 12 2016 Pembroke MA Garand, Springfield, or Vintage Military Inquire by email
Old Colony Sportsmen's Assoc Jul 10 2016 Pembroke MA Garand, Springfield, or Vintage Military Inquire by email
Old Colony Sportsmen's Assoc Aug 07 2016 Pembroke MA Garand, Springfield, or Vintage Military Inquire by email
Old Colony Sportsmen's Assoc Sep 11 2016 Pembroke MA Garand, Springfield, or Vintage Military Inquire by email
Old Colony Sportsmen's Assoc Oct 16 2016 Pembroke MA Garand, Springfield, or Vintage Military Inquire by email
Old Colony Sportsmen's Assoc Nov 06 2016 Pembroke MA Garand, Springfield, or Vintage Military Inquire by email
Reading Rifle & Revolver Club EIC Service Rifle Match
Reading Rifle & Revolver Club Jun 12 2016 Reading MA EIC Competition Inquire by email
Reading Rifle & Revolver Club EIC Service Rifle Match
Reading Rifle & Revolver Club Jul 17 2016 Reading MA EIC Competition Inquire by email

Last edited:
https://ct.thecmp.org/app/v1/index.php?do=clubSearch

The above link will get you to the affiliated club search. Several clubs are not running sanctioned matches like Braintree and Hanson rod and gun which is 1st Sat 8am and 3rd Sunday 12pm club guns and ammo available.
So you need to search clubs in your area to see if they do something simular to Braintree and Hanson.
I will agree that most events are not well advertised.

Last edited:
15-30 is outstanding. Question though how many of those are new and then repeat shooters?

The first line of 10 shooters is always the new shooters. The experienced shooters coach the new CMP shooters on that line. The second line and third (if >20) are the more experienced shooters and are usually the "regulars" that show up each month.

Braintree lists the shoot info on their website, I assume most other clubs do as well, so that is the first place to look.

Any place on NES that has a schedule of different shoots, classes, etc at area clubs? I checked the calendar and it seems to be just birthdays. A running list of matches ( formal and informal) pumpkin shoots, car shoots, rifle classes, intro to trap, and so on all in one place for people to browse seems like a good idea.

Any place on NES that has a schedule of different shoots, classes, etc at area clubs? I checked the calendar and it seems to be just birthdays. A running list of matches ( formal and informal) pumpkin shoots, car shoots, rifle classes, intro to trap, and so on all in one place for people to browse seems like a good idea.

Nashua keeps a combined calendar of highpower matches and events but it doesn't include anything but highpower.

http://www.nfga.org/highpower/pdfs/2016_NFGA_highpower_schedule.pdf

Keep in mind that most of the full distance across the course matches around here are NRA not CMP. You could shoot a Garand in the NRA matches as a service rifle if you wanted (as long as the rifle and the shooter behind it can at least hold paper.)

there is section on NES headline is COMPETITION SHOOTING
For what ever reason the rifle section only holds threads fro a few days so you only see the 4 stickies unless someone bumps a thread.
Then you have the club section https://www.northeastshooters.com/vbulletin/forums/29-Gun-Ranges-amp-Clubs again though this is only as good as those that post info on the clubs.

some clubs are better than others at keeping their web sites current with events.
I find the best way to get info from a club is see if they have a weekly or monthly dinner/breakfast and go see whats going on.

I have been posting CMP at hanson and Pembroke for some time now and only a fist full of shooters have come....and I paid for 90% of them. I think there is a grand total of 2 repeat shooters. both travel a good distance to play.

Last edited:
Nashua keeps a combined calendar of highpower matches and events but it doesn't include anything but highpower.

http://www.nfga.org/highpower/pdfs/2016_NFGA_highpower_schedule.pdf

Keep in mind that most of the full distance across the course matches around here are NRA not CMP. You could shoot a Garand in the NRA matches as a service rifle if you wanted (as long as the rifle and the shooter behind it can at least hold paper.)
I might have to try one of the leagues with my garand... im only a few points behind with my M1 vs my NM AR. So looks like I am going to miss the State shoot ( Sat full of family stuff) figured that much so im either going to get into the last service rifle or mid range ?

Whenever I shoot a garand match (maybe once a year), I try to use one of the club's rifles. That way I don't have to clean mine.

Whenever I shoot a garand match (maybe once a year), I try to use one of the club's rifles. That way I don't have to clean mine.
you clean your M1 after 1 match [smile]
depending on the club this could be a good or bad thing. Old colony has very nice rifles. easily hold the 10 ring if you can put them there. Hanson more of a challenge

there is section on NES headline is COMPETITION SHOOTING
For what ever reason the rifle section only holds threads fro a few days so you only see the 4 stickies unless someone bumps a thread.

You need to change your viewing settings if that is all that you see.

You need to change your viewing settings if that is all that you see.
its the only thread that does it to me all other threads show several post? I tried changing my settings. For example when I click onto the Milsurp section I get all the stickies and several posts maybe 10? when I click onto the rifle comp section I get 4 stickies. ???

The thread display options always reverts to 'last day' for me. If I use the drop-down and show '100 days' etc. then click button to right, I only see the 100 threads that time.

Back
Top Bottom