• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

How many guns do you take to the range?

For me, none. Since I gave the Thompson and the Grease Gun to Little Jack in NH, I just go there with ammo, shoot at the range in his back yard and go home. He cleans the guns. Soon I'll give him the suppressed .45 M10 and sell my Reisings. Jack has no interest in them because they don't look badass enough. Jack.

I was just about to reply as you did regarding cleaning. When I first got into shooting, I would clean everything whether I put 5 or 500 rounds thru it and also kept a log of how many and what type of rounds I shot.

Fast forward 35 years or so and my tolerance for having a dirty firearm has gone way up at least partly because of some physical limitations actually affecting my ability to do a thorough cleaning (severe arthritis), and there will always be several uncleaned firearms in my safe. I do try to keep the more valuable ones cleaned though, Glocks not so much!

I’m with you. Carry, home pro guns and black rifles get cleaned every time but revolvers, .22s and range/fun guns might make a couple/few trips to the range before cleaning. They never go more than a couple of weeks without cleaning though.

Fast forward 35 years or so and my tolerance for having a dirty firearm has gone way up.....
lol, yep. i found as i got to senior citizen status, i had better use for the time i have left. i still have 20+ books to read that i promised myself i would read before i died. [laugh] but i do run a bore snake thru the ar/ak's when they come out to play.

I go to an indoor range weekly and an outdoor range almost weekly. Consequently, I try to bring just one gun to focus on, considering that any other gun will have its day soon enough. Sometimes I bring two.

As for cleaning, I do clean my guns afterwards, not always on the same day but relatively soon after, because it may be awhile before I get back to it, and I want them to be in suitable state for storage for several months. If I shot the same guns frequently enough, I'd relax quite a bit on cleaning with those particular guns. I already do on occasions where I plan to shoot the same gun on consecutive range trips. But I will say that shooting a clean revolver is always a better experience than shooting a dirty one, all other things being equal, especially if you mix in shorter case lengths, e.g. shoot .38 special in a .357 magnum. I recently got the bright idea of loading my stash of Hornady short 45C brass with 300gr hard casts because these particular hard cast bullets have two crimp grooves, and the rear groove puts the OAL at the correct length despite the shorter casing (Hornady shortens the casings of their factory FTX loads). After I started shooting these in my Blackhawk, insertion of regular loads became more difficult due to fouling from loads with shorter brass. Not cleaning the revolver after that sort of session would be just lazy and stupid.

I bring a center fire pistol, a rifle of some kind, and a .22. The shotgun comes if I do skeet as well or need to pattern it for something.

I clean everything I’ve shot within a day or so after the range, which I don’t mind, but just like to keep the time spent on that project manageable.

I used to bring a boatload of them to the range but got sick of cleaning up afterward. I also like spending more time on each gun rather than putting 30 shots through more.

Last edited:
Handguns - 4. Rifles 2-4 depending on the day. What limits me is hauling the guns and loading them in and out of the car along with the rest of my gear.

Not as many as I use to. Now If I'm working on one particular gun let's say a H&K 9MM Pistol. I will only bring that one gun and 50 rounds of ammunition. I make those 50 rounds count. Before I would bring a few guns. Sig 9MM or S&W 9MM and a couple hundred rounds. I found if I was working on one model and had problems I would put it down and go back to a more familiar one. And then end up just throwing lead downrange.

I might also bring a unrelated gun to that. Like a .22 LR Steel Challenge gun. Again with only 50 rounds.

I was just about to reply as you did regarding cleaning. When I first got into shooting, I would clean everything whether I put 5 or 500 rounds thru it and also kept a log of how many and what type of rounds I shot.

Fast forward 35 years or so and my tolerance for having a dirty firearm has gone way up at least partly because of some physical limitations actually affecting my ability to do a thorough cleaning (severe arthritis), and there will always be several uncleaned firearms in my safe. I do try to keep the more valuable ones cleaned though, Glocks not so much!

I was about to reply with a comment about cleaning, and then this post.

Working with the folks at our local Junior Rifle program, I learned cleaning is a once a year or so thing. If you're shooting quality ammo, cleaning is not a daily chore. We would hold a cleaning clinic once a year, and then take a month of shooting to get back 'on target'.

And that's for the match rifles. The Glocks almost never get cleaned. The Russian stuff that gets some corrosive primes is a different story. We clean those right at the range.

Just my two cents worth.............

As many as I can.

BECAUSE it’s hard to find time to get to the range.

Usually about seven or so, but then I enjoy cleaning.
I don't mind cleaning either. Pre kids no problem. Now I'm in the garage at 11:30 pm.

I just bring 1 cause all I need to do is go back into the house if I feel I need another, nah, nah, nah, nah, nah![devil][pot]
That is my dream. Some day hopefully! It's hard sell to my wife though. She like being inside 128

I only bring a few
massive-gun-wall-room.jpg
Very nice!

Not as many as I use to. Now If I'm working on one particular gun let's say a H&K 9MM Pistol. I will only bring that one gun and 50 rounds of ammunition. I make those 50 rounds count. Before I would bring a few guns. Sig 9MM or S&W 9MM and a couple hundred rounds. I found if I was working on one model and had problems I would put it down and go back to a more familiar one. And then end up just throwing lead downrange.

I might also bring a unrelated gun to that. Like a .22 LR Steel Challenge gun. Again with only 50 rounds.
Yeah I don't go often enough for that. It's a half hour each way. Was shooting steel, So as far as working on precision. As long as it was going ding I was happy. Shot 350 22lr, 200 9mm, 50 380,

I don't always have time to hit both the indoor and outdoor, so it depends on the focus of my trip. If the indoor range, 3-4 and my carry gun. If outdoor generally 2-3 long guns.

I used to bring tons of stuff to the range, but as the years passed I discovered that was stupid and a f***ing pain in the ass, much like cleaning guns all the time, etc. Now its always 3 or less. Sometimes just one or two not
including carry gun.

-Mike

I enjoy the cleaning, it’s finding the time...

If you enjoy cleaning guns you haven't cleaned enough guns. I laugh when people tell me they clean their guns every time they use them. I used to do that. Probably did it for 10 years, then realized how much of a
waste of time it is. Especially when talking guns not used as lifesaving devices.

-Mike

If you enjoy cleaning guns you haven't cleaned enough guns. I laugh when people tell me they clean their guns every time they use them. I used to do that. Probably did it for 10 years, then realized how much of a
waste of time it is. Especially when talking guns not used as lifesaving devices.

-Mike

I don’t mind cleaning, maybe enjoy was a bit strong of a term. I also don’t clean every time other than carry guns, the non-lifesaving ones don’t get cleaned every time.

1-3, one always being a .22 pistol, and 100-300 rds of ammo. I clean every other or every third time because it's adequate, and I want to test their reliability in non-pristine condition

I split it. If I am shooting trap I just bring the shotgun. If I am using hand guns I just bring them but limit it to four. Usually the same with rifles but I most often just bring one rifle when it's rifle day.

If I bring someone with me they usually want to try both so I will bring two and two. In that case I will bring a .22 and an AR unless I know they can shoot and then I might bring something a little more challenging. Hand guns I would bring a 9mm and the 1911.

I used to do the all or nothing thing but that became a pain in the butt.

I couldn't care less about cleaning. It's all part of the process so knowing I'm going to the range I am fully prepared to and expect to clean the guns or rifles....whatever happens to be on the menu that day.

Back
Top Bottom