How many FFL transfers in a certain period of time?

Hey all...would appreciate some feedback and you guys are a great resource. So I work in the firearms biz. Live on South Shore Ma and my company is based in CT. I go down there 2 days or so a week at a time. Anyways, I take advantage of the perks. Get great discounts and have bought a few guns this year and planning on more...it's an additiction as we all know. We have an FFL at our company naturally and I have bought recently 3 handguns (LCR, Mark IV, and SR9C) as well as a few rifles (Ruger american .308 and 10-22) I know Im a Ruger fanboy these days.....Don't mock me please. I have plenty of others to offset that brand. Anyways, my local MA FFL said something about a 4 gun limit for transfer in 4 months. Do you guys have any experience on this or light you could shed, given the guns I am trying to transfer in? I'd like to get them all in in one fell swoop, but he is researching . On another front, unfortunately the AR I bought prior to Healy Ban and is on our FFL with me being an FFL named person will not be allowed to transfer in!!!!! Thats again, another story. So I'll have to keep that at our company and find a preban online in MA......

Much appreciate your insight.

THX!!!!!

First, and probably the most important, find a new FFL. He's artificially limiting his business for whatever reason and doesn't want to deal with you.

If you want to annoy him, ask if this is a law or policy? If law, ask for a copy of the law? If policy, ask him to explain why he's turning away transfers fees for a small amount of work?

Feel free to out them as well.

he may be mistaking the fact that you are allowed to do 4 private transfers person to person per year. FFL to FFL is unrestricted as far as I know.

person to person transfers are limited to 4 a year. ffl as many as you want. hell I am at 3 now and planning on another 3 or 4 before I start house hunting this summer

FFL to FFL = No Limit
FFL to Private Citizen = No Limit
Private citizen to FFL to Private citizen = No Limit
Private citizen to private citizen = 4 per calendar year (Jan-Dec is one calendar year)

First, and probably the most important, find a new FFL. He's artificially limiting his business for whatever reason and doesn't want to deal with you.

If you want to annoy him, ask if this is a law or policy? If law, ask for a copy of the law? If policy, ask him to explain why he's turning away transfers fees for a small amount of work?

Feel free to out them as well.

Agree here.

Find someone who knows the business and holds a FFL with a MA Dealer's License and deal with them instead.

The only limit is that more than 2 handguns transferred by an FFL to a single buyer within 5 business days must be reported to the BATFE on form 3310.12. I did this twice - once when moving from FL to NY (an FFL held my guns until my NY permit came through) and once when I got 5 1911 frames in a single batch. I did not hear from the feds either time.

I think there may have been a BATFE fabricated law requiring similar reporting for multiple long guns in southern states.

The only limit is that more than 2 handguns transferred by an FFL to a single buyer within 5 business days must be reported to the BATFE on form 3310.12. I did this twice - once when moving from FL to NY (an FFL held my guns until my NY permit came through) and once when I got 5 1911 frames in a single batch. I did not hear from the feds either time.

I think there may have been a BATFE fabricated law requiring similar reporting for multiple long guns in southern states.

3310.4 is for multiple hand guns https://www.atf.gov/file/61426/download
3310.12 is for multiple long guns https://www.atf.gov/file/61421/download

Maybe the FFL doesn't want to deal with that, but again, he's turning away business because he's lazy.

- - - Updated - - -

I don't believe the 3310.12 (Multiple Handguns Form) is required on handgun frames. If it's a frame, it can't be defined as either a handgun or rifle yet.

I agree, or anyone that purchased multiple AR15 lowers would have had a 3310 done on them.

I know the dealer required it.

But, you are correct: https://www.atf.gov/file/60686/download

Rep inbound.
Prior to c. 2008, ATF was instructing dealers to classify frames/receivers based on intended use on the 4473. (There was no 3d tick off for "other" firearms at that time). Even though it shouldn't have been necessary, it is possible to see why the FFL decided to run the multiple handgun form- either because at the time he was classifying frames based on intended use OR because he was used to previously doing that.

Back
Top Bottom