How long did your LTC-A take in your town???

Keep in mind, it's your chief, who determines the restrictions he wants followed in your (his) town. What happens two towns over, is anybody's guess. Can you carry there? Who knows? Can you tell the cop, "my chief says it's OK to carry, cuz I'm on my way to the range?" Maybe you'll be fine, maybe you won't.

I don't think this can ever be answered definitively without a court case.

You really need a signed letter defining HIS meaning of your restriction from your LTC issuing chief on letterhead WITH YOU to avoid the doubt that can lead to headaches.

- - - Updated - - -

To add to this thread:

Middleboro currently takes applications and renewals on a FIRST COME FIRST SERVE, 10 SPOT LIST.

You must be one of the first ten people in line, every thursday (barring Holidays) or you're SOL until next week and you must try again.

Applications are processed ONLY through that system and the PD is not responsive to mail-ins.

Very common PD response but also a direct violation of MGL as passed in August 2014. The arrogance of tin-pot dictators is legion however.

When I have a few min, I can copy the sheet I received with my Somerville permit. It explained the restrictions and what you can do with them, including travel to and from the activity.

When I have a few min, I can copy the sheet I received with my Somerville permit. It explained the restrictions and what you can do with them, including travel to and from the activity.
That is only good for Somerville LTC holders. Each PD gets to determine what the restrictions mean independently, as I mentioned earlier in the thread.

That is only good for Somerville LTC holders. Each PD gets to determine what the restrictions mean independently, as I mentioned earlier in the thread.

True, I have to read it again but it sounded at a quick glance it was "from the MGL". I'll scan it in so we can all see what I'm looking at.

True, I have to read it again but it sounded at a quick glance it was "from the MGL". I'll scan it in so we can all see what I'm looking at.
MGL gives the departments carte blanche to define restrictions, and gives them the enforcement teeth of LTC revocation or suspension plus a fine of I think $100 to $1000, although that may have gone up. I'm interested to see how Somerville defines theirs. Here is the Boston definition of T&H on the second page https://static1.squarespace.com/sta...002200/LICENSE+TO+CARRY+FIREARMS+Feb+2015.pdf

My application is currently in progress in Arlington.

Submitted Application: 11/24, interview scheduled on the spot!
Interviewed, Fingerprinted, etc.: 12/3

So that's about as quick a turnaround as one could hope. Nothing out of the ordinary at all today, other than the chaos of the police station being under construction right now. Super friendly folks all around. As MA towns go, particularly those near Boston, Arlington is a good one for many reasons.

Now the long wait...

Just got the call!

11/24: Submitted Application, interview scheduled on the spot!
12/3: Interviewed, Fingerprinted, etc.
1/19: Approved!!!

I forget the exact dates and details but my wife and I both applied in North Attleboro in April of last year. We received the call from the PD 37 days later that they were in, no restrictions.
The licensing officer said we were the 8th and 9th applicants that week and 2nd and third that day. Other than smudging my fingerprints on one attempt ( I flinched) and probably the most unflattering picture ever taken, the whole process couldn't have been more simple or polite.

Just left saugus police department, turned in my application, got my fingerprints done. In and out in 15 minutes. Quick and painless. Now the waiting game begins.

They said they are on pace for 60 new applicants this month, which is a lot for them. Obama=salesman of the decade.

Newbie here from Chicopee MA. Hello all

Application, intervieved, Fingerprinted etc 1/1/2016.
Referrals called yesterday (1/18/2016). Time to see how much longer.

Anyone else have any idea on time frame from referral calls?

Just left saugus police department, turned in my application, got my fingerprints done. In and out in 15 minutes. Quick and painless. Now the waiting game begins.

They said they are on pace for 60 new applicants this month, which is a lot for them. Obama=salesman of the decade.
Tick, toc, tick, toc ... [emoji6]

Good luck. I hope it's a relatively short wait.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk

Tick, toc, tick, toc ... [emoji6]

Good luck. I hope it's a relatively short wait.

Me too. He didn't even copy my references over to the electronic application so I don't think they'll be getting contacted. He said it should be a couple days for them and then like 4 or 5 weeks for the rest.

I waited 21 weeks for my ltc so I said to someone the other day if you get it under 60 days your one of the lucky ones that live in a good town

Call the records bureau to see if your approved

- - - Updated - - -

N/a Dave I was talking to

last time I called knowing my app was just submitted and just asking a couple questions on how long the process is out of curiosity. I was replied with "uh, you just applied 2 weeks ago...." <<big attitude. So I haven't called since based on not wanting to annoy them and have them take longer intentionally.

Hey everyone. First time poster on this site, I've been following along on this thread as I wait for my application. Here is how I have been doing in Ipswich.

Applied at PD (prints, application) 12/12/15
Awaiting review at PD on 12/29/15 (Coincidentally, they called one of my references this day)
Awaiting review at PD on 1/7/16
Approved at PD 1/19/16

Not sure what is next in the next step in the process is, but i'm feeling pretty good about being approved today!

Assuming one's town only requires what the state requires, do you just need to list 2 references or is the norm to also submit letters from them with your application? I notice that there is only a spot for addresses, not phone numbers; so I wasn't sure what good that does unless they are going to send them letters.

Assuming one's town only requires what the state requires, do you just need to list 2 references or is the norm to have also submit letters from them with your application? I notice that there is only a spot for addresses, not phone numbers; so I wasn't sure what good that does unless they are going to send them letters.

It is up to the town, even says so on the application. Some require letters, some nothing, some require more than two, etc. Saugus didn't even copy mine over to the digital application. And when I spoke to the licensing officer, he said just put 2 references down. No letters or anything.

Assuming one's town only requires what the state requires, do you just need to list 2 references or is the norm to also submit letters from them with your application? I notice that there is only a spot for addresses, not phone numbers; so I wasn't sure what good that does unless they are going to send them letters.

Don't furnish anything that they don't ask for.

N/a Dave don't worry about annoying anyone at the records bureau its there job to check number one and number two the chances that you get the same person on the phone are slim and I called once every two weeks on Fridays when I was waiting so don't worry

N/a Dave don't worry about annoying anyone at the records bureau its there job to check number one and number two the chances that you get the same person on the phone are slim and I called once every two weeks on Fridays when I was waiting so don't worry
Oh, okay. I wasn't sure how small or big of an office it was that dealt with this stuff. Since it takes forever I pictured an office not much larger than a port-a-potty lol. Thanks again

Oh, okay. I wasn't sure how small or big of an office it was that dealt with this stuff. Since it takes forever I pictured an office not much larger than a port-a-potty lol. Thanks again

Last I asked Michaela, she had 9 in that department including herself and an attorney. Not a huge department by gov't standards, that is for sure.

My wait begins in Leominster. Called 1/4 for appointment. Applied today 1/20. Was told 8 week wait time. appointment took 30 mins, application, picture, prints, required paperwork they ask for. Licensing clerk is a very nice lady.

Newbie here from Chicopee MA. Hello all

Application, intervieved, Fingerprinted etc 1/1/2016.
Referrals called yesterday (1/18/2016). Time to see how much longer.

Anyone else have any idea on time frame from referral calls?

I'm new and just applied to Chicopee on 1/19. Keep me updated on how long the process ends up taking for you!

ill call tomorrow (3 weeks) and see if I got the approval yet. Headin out to Marlboro gun show on the 30th and if I'm approved And I see something for a good deal, going to have my buddy grab it and transfer it to me once it comes in.

Also, not to go off topic a lot but as a first time carrier (not shooter) what's anyone's thought on the m&p shield 9 for a first carry firearm?

Federal "straw purchase" with potential for an all expense paid vacation for two at the gray-bar hotel.

NOT advisable or smart.

Spend some time learning the laws, more important than spending that time researching what gun to buy.

ill call tomorrow (3 weeks) and see if I got the approval yet. Headin out to Marlboro gun show on the 30th and if I'm approved And I see something for a good deal, going to have my buddy grab it and transfer it to me once it comes in.

Also, not to go off topic a lot but as a first time carrier (not shooter) what's anyone's thought on the m&p shield 9 for a first carry firearm?

Ditto what Len said. Good deals come up all the time. There will be nothing there you can't get after you have your permit, legally. Straw purchases are no joke and something FFLs look for when selling.

Regarding the Shield, I like mine. It's my first pistol in 9mm so taking a bit getting used to from 45. My Apex trigger kit should be in today. I put 200 rounds or so through with the MA 10lb trigger and that was enough for me. Shoots great, but lots of room for improvement.

Back
Top Bottom