How long did your LTC-A take in your town???

I'm in Northborough, MA.

I popped into NPD sometime in early September to ask about a form for my LTC application. I was directed to their website, and downloaded the relevant application form (same form for 1st-time license applicant / license renewal). It asked for names and addresses of 2 references, which I listed.

After then trying to drop off my form in person, I was told I'd need to actually obtain hard copies of letters of recommendation from 3 references - not just provide contact details for 2, as stated on the form - because I'm a 1st-time applicant.

It doesn't clarify this anywhere on the form or website, so it's probably good info to know for anyone else reading who's considering applying for their LTC as a 1st-time applicant.

But after a couple of miscommunications over a couple of weeks at the beginning of September, involving me swinging by the PD about 3 times before we were actually in a position for them to take my application from me, everything eventually started to go smoothly!

9/20: Delivered application form with 3 reference letters to NPD - they called about 10 days later to say my application had been approved, so I could set up an appointment.
10/10: Appointment for fingerprinting & cash payment - informed it would be about 8 weeks until my permit arrived.
12/18: LTC-A ready for me to collect from PD (10 week wait).

All in all, not too long a wait, especially given some of the times I've heard from folk.

Monson, MA

Submitted application in about 5 min flat on a slow Sunday morning without an appointment on 11/10/2013, got my unrestricted permit on 12/28/2013.
Very painless.

A good friend of mine just turned in his application and had his fingerprinting session last week in Worcester. Those bastards made him wait 6 months for that appointment.

Curious if the LEO there really has changed his policy or not, will post a status when my buddy hears back.

Update on my friend in Worcester

1st Week of February 2013 - Made appointment for fingerprint/interview.
1st week of June 2013 - Fingerprint/interview appointment and turn in application and fee.
19 December 2013 - Received his unrestricted LTC-A.

Unbelievable....

My LTC-A **renewal** took 5 1/2 months from the date I dropped off the forms and the check. I am in a "green" town - or at least I thought I was back in July. Interestingly, when I picked up the card I noted that the date of issue indicated on the card is a FULL MONTH EARLIER than the actual date that I got the call to pick it up. I got the call on the 18th of December and the Date of Issue on the license is the 19th of November. For a full month, apparently, my license had been renewed but I was not informed of that fact as far as I can tell.

Last edited:
Not on my license it isn't. I know I was not born in November (at least I think I know ;) and my Date of Issue on my renewal card is 11/19. The Date of Expiration is on my birthday.

On my first LTC-A card what you say is true but on my renewal card it is not so. [Scratch that, it wasn't true on that one either, see below].

Last edited:
And the amazing thing is that if I go by the dates on this card, I have an LTC-A that has a 5 year, 8+ month duration [sorry, subtracted backward]. Must have been a typo. on someone's part, but there it is. When I come to a meet up I'll show you both cards, old and new. So what I am going to do is make sure that I apply for my NEXT renewal more than 8 months in advance, just to make sure.

Actually looking at my older card, I just dug it out - the date of issue was not my birthday either. The date of expiration was.

What was strange this time, more than anything else, is that my Date of Issue was a full month before I received notice to pick up the card which wasn't the case the first time around. The first card I received, I remember getting the call and looking at the date and it was only a day or two later. This time it was a month between "date of issue" and "date of my being told it was issued."

Last edited:
Initial issue of an FID or LTC is the date it was processed/approved. Subsequent renewals are supposed to be with an issue date of your upcoming (or recently passed) birthday (the date your "old' FID/LTC expires). Now this is ONLY for Resident LTCs. NRs do indeed have the approved date as issuance date and expire 1 year later (they don't use birthdays).

NixieTube, someone messed up on yours big time but I'm surprised that MIRCS let it thru that way.

As for it sitting on someone's desk (with no notice) for a month or more, that I can indeed believe.

Indeed it is strange. But the license is valid, I picked it up from my Chief of Police in person, and I used it subsequently in the transfer of the M&P15-22 I talked about the other day, so I am treating it as valid henceforth with the dates that are on the card. It took what seemed to be an inordinate amount of time for the renewal and I was surprised at the discrepancy in the issue date and the date I was notified.

Water under the bridge at this point, but it is definitely a strange one. Again I'll be happy to show you the card(s) at the next meetup if we're both there.

The most important thing from my perspective was getting the heck out of the legal limbo following the 90 day "grace period", which I wasn't fond of living in at all. Tell me "No", tell me "Yes", but do it in the time frame it's supposed to be and please don't make me feel like a criminal for obeying every single rule to the letter and to the absolute best of my ability.

Last edited:
And the amazing thing is that if I go by the dates on this card, I have an LTC-A that has a 5 year, 8+ month duration

Is a 5 year term not typical? I just picked up my card on 12/24/13 and it doesn't expire until my birthday in August of 19. In my math that's 5 years and 8 months. Is this atypical?

getting somewhat hosed by the holidays. West Newbury, Application and Fingerprints OCT 28th. Approved DEC 10th just waiting for the printing batch, and mailing to my PD.

My first MA resident LTC was issued a few days after my birthday, so I lose almost a whole year. :(

Same thing happened to me, my LTC was activated 2 days before my bday, so it expires 5 years from that bday, but my best friend and little cousin got theirs the same time and theirs expire 5 years after their 2014 bdays. So even though all 3 of us applied and received our LTC at the same time, mines expires like 6-9 months before either of them.

Watertown
Moved to MA: July '13
Submitted Paperwork, got fingerprinted, photo, etc - September '13
Interviewed - November 6th
LTC-A, Target, Sporting, Employment - Jan 3, 2014

Fingerprints and interview 12-7-13, was told 10-12 weeks. 4 down 6-8 to go! Hopefully....
Taunton
have to admit, interview was really just a "hi we're going to take your prints now". Went very easy and smoothly, and I was appreciative they do it on Saturday mornings instead of Tuesday like Fall River.

Last edited:
Somerville: Called and scheduled appointment on 10/29/13 for appointment 11/25/13. License issued 12/16/13 received 12/19/13. Class A Restrictions NONE.

Back
Top Bottom