• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

How long did your LTC-A take in your town???

Does anyone know how long the background checks are taking now? I heard that that is the major backlog these days - how fast the MSP are with the turnaround time on that. I had my interview/fingerprinting Feb 11 with BPD, qualified at Moon Island Feb 12. The licensing officer told me ~4 months, the guys at Moon Island said ~6 months, I'm not sure who has the most recent data.

Just look back a few pages and you should get your answer. The whole process from interview to license in hand is taking 4-7 weeks for many applicants. There are some cities and towns however, that don't want people to have guns(it's that simple), and will do anything to delay and discourage gun ownership, including lie to you at the same time they're being "nice, helpful, and cordial".

It took me 39 days a short time ago. Boston is another story, but after your prints are sent, BPD should have the results back in 2-3 weeks, then immediately send it to the FRB for printing, which is taking around 2 weeks these days.

You can see this gives 2 instances where BPD can "sit" in your license. They can delay when they get the go ahead from MSP, and they can delay when they get the licence back from the FRB. It doesn't always fit into the timelines I've outlined but it shouldn't differ too much....If they're playing it straight with you.

Thanks for your response Billsail. I saw people coming through with very fast turn around times in Taunton, but I also saw earlier in this thread (I've been reading a lot of the responses on here) that some LPD seem to be not sending their applicants through the MSP system at all, instead running some other type of background check. Given that, I wasn't sure whether the people who have recently gotten theirs done quickly were representative of the new background check speed (a good thing) or just special cases. Thanks for the clarification - even though the BPD might drag their feet I can at least hope that it will be less than 6 months.

Just look back a few pages and you should get your answer. The whole process from interview to license in hand is taking 4-7 weeks for many applicants. There are some cities and towns however, that don't want people to have guns(it's that simple), and will do anything to delay and discourage gun ownership, including lie to you at the same time they're being "nice, helpful, and cordial".

It took me 39 days a short time ago. Boston is another story, but after your prints are sent, BPD should have the results back in 2-3 weeks, then immediately send it to the FRB for printing, which is taking around 2 weeks these days.

You can see this gives 2 instances where BPD can "sit" in your license. They can delay when they get the go ahead from MSP, and they can delay when they get the licence back from the FRB. It doesn't always fit into the timelines I've outlined but it shouldn't differ too much....If they're playing it straight with you.

Bill sums it up well, from the time the PD actually submits your prints to MSP they'll be back at the PD in a week or 2.

joshk1025,

I interviewed with BPD on Dec 16th, passed Moon Island on Dec 27th, was told when I checked that BPD finished their background check on Jan 27th and sent the info to the FRB. Checked again today to find out BPD activated my license on Feb 13th, but I haven't received it in the mail yet. Everyone I've had contact with (state & BPD) has been very professional and between the high volume of applications in Boston, snow, holidays, and the time of USPS to deliver bulk mail between agencies, I don't think anyone has been intentionally delaying the process. So expect at least 60 days from Moon Island.

Still crossing my fingers that my permit arrives tomorrow so I can get to Four Seasons on Saturday. Hopefully they'll still have have the pistol I'm interested in still be in stock and on sale too.

My luck it will come next week and Four Seasons will be "sorry, sale over out of stock on that one".[crying]

joshk1025,

I interviewed with BPD on Dec 16th, passed Moon Island on Dec 27th, was told when I checked that BPD finished their background check on Jan 27th and sent the info to the FRB. Checked again today to find out BPD activated my license on Feb 13th, but I haven't received it in the mail yet. Everyone I've had contact with (state & BPD) has been very professional and between the high volume of applications in Boston, snow, holidays, and the time of USPS to deliver bulk mail between agencies, I don't think anyone has been intentionally delaying the process. So expect at least 60 days from Moon Island.

Still crossing my fingers that my permit arrives tomorrow so I can get to Four Seasons on Saturday. Hopefully they'll still have have the pistol I'm interested in still be in stock and on sale too.

My luck it will come next week and Four Seasons will be "sorry, sale over out of stock on that one".[crying]

Not sure if they will honor the sale price but Four Seasons will take a deposit and hold a gun for you until your license arrives.

Interviewed/fingerprinted and submitted today in Westfield. Was told about 1.5 months. My mom just got out of the military and got hers in 13 days about 6-7 months ago. So we shall see how long the wait is.

-Matt

Leominster appt was February 3. Got the call today that is has been sent and will be here within 2 days. Looks like things are shaping up. Quick question, does my pin# remain the same?

My wife just picked up her LTC A unrestricted today. Applied DEC 17 2013. Town of Charlton. Not bad. Now I have to teach her how to shoot and another excuse to buy another gun tomorrow. [smile]

Just got my LTC A
Target/Hunting
Appointment fingerprinted/Picture- Nov 26
Card Arrived in the mail - March 10
Randolph, MA

Applied 2/15/14 For Class A LTC NR
Fingerprinted that day
was told 8-10 weeks, maybe I'll get it early im starting to notice?

Gardner MA

Applied 2/15/14 For Class A LTC NR
Fingerprinted that day
was told 8-10 weeks, maybe I'll get it early im starting to notice?

Gardner MA

I applied 2/11, was told it would be 4 months (Boston). Called last week to check on things, they didn't want to look up the status of my application because they said it would be 3 months (from my application), so to expect something in May. At least the quoted time is going down!

I applied 2/11, was told it would be 4 months (Boston). Called last week to check on things, they didn't want to look up the status of my application because they said it would be 3 months. At least the quoted time is going down!

From what Ive heard though Boston is ALOT longer

Yeah, a lot of applications go through Boston, and I think it is just one Licensing officer, so yeah, probably. Hopefully you get yours soon!

Me too, and I hope yours comes in sooner!

Does Boston still do the Moon Island testing or screening or whatever?

I applied 2/11, was told it would be 4 months (Boston). Called last week to check on things, they didn't want to look up the status of my application because they said it would be 3 months (from my application), so to expect something in May. At least the quoted time is going down!

Oh man, that hurts to hear. I called early last week to set an appointment for the application processing, and was given Apr 10th at the earliest. So to hear it could be 4 months from then, or even Moon Island a week later, is rough. But I suppose it's better to set low expectations now in hopes that it comes in earlier.

Back
Top Bottom