How long did your LTC-A take in your town???

Ok, FO just responded via email. They were waiting for the Mass State Police fingerprint check to come back. He says I can pick it up tomorrow. I will post again once I get it in hand.

Progress update for wife and I in Methuen.

7/29/13 Mailed Applications
8/1/13 Received Appointment VM for 8/19/13
8/19/13 6:00 and 6:30PM Appointments (arrived 5:45, both done and out the door by 6:15)
11/26/13 14 weeks + 1 Day Called LO, at 11:30AM. Received call back at 1:45PM. Both approved by MSP. Waiting for MSP to ship them to her.

Gee, only two or three more weeks to go.[devil2]

I have my LTC-A now. Here's the breakdown...

9/9/13 Called Groveland PD for appointment, was told someone would get back to me.
9/13/13 Received a call from the dispatcher to setup appointment.
9/18/13 Had appointment with FO, did pictures and fingerprints.
11/25/13 Morning: Called DCJIS to check status. Was told license was approved and sent to GPD on 10/24/13.
11/25/13 Late Morning: Sent email to GPD asking for status.
11/25/13 Evening: Received a response saying my license was ready and had been waiting for MSP fingerprint check to come back.
11/26/13 Picked up my license at the GPD dispatcher's station. LTC-A with hunting and target restriction as expected.

My experience...

The interview and everything was all smooth and straightforward, no questions, no hassles, no BS. The FO was pleasant and answered all my questions. The FO also commented on the fact that he has no problem with law abiding citizens having weapons. However, he then told me that they give LTC-A with H&T restrictions by default, but that I can call in one year and have the H&T removed. He said they could do it over the phone and provided there are no issues it's automatic, we'll see. He went on to explain that they used to issue LTC-B by default and then let people upgrade it to LTC-A after one year, but then the state started charging $100 to upgrade so they changed their policy in order to not force people to pay again to remove the restrictions.

Observation: A lot quicker for me than some have reported here. Why does the State Police part seem to take so long? Over a month just for that, if the timing reported to me by the DCJIS and FO is accurate.

Questions:

Is it coincidence that the day I called for status to the PD and referenced the fact that DCJIS said it was sent back a month earlier that it was suddenly ready?

Does it make sense that they will just remove the restrictions in the computer after one year but the license will still say Hunting and Target?

Will I get hassled about that if I have to show my id?

Last edited:

9/9/13 Called Groveland PD for appointment, was told someone would get back to me.
11/25/13 Morning: Called DCJIS to check status. Was told license was approved and sent to GPD on 10/24/13.
11/25/13 Evening: Received a response saying my license was ready and had been waiting for MSP fingerprint check to come back.
11/26/13 Picked up my license at the GPD dispatcher's station. LTC-A with hunting and target restriction as expected.

My experience...

The interview and everything was all smooth and straightforward, no questions, no hassles, no BS. The FO was pleasant and answered all my questions. The FO also commented on the fact that he has no problem with law abiding citizens having weapons. However, he then told me that they give LTC-A with H&T restrictions by default, but that I can call in one year and have the H&T removed. He said they could do it over the phone and provided there are no issues it's automatic, we'll see. He went on to explain that they used to issue LTC-B by default and then let people upgrade it to LTC-A after one year, but then the state started charging $100 to upgrade so they changed their policy in order to not force people to pay again to remove the restrictions.

Observation: A lot quicker for me than some have reported here. Why does the State Police part seem to take so long? Over a month just for that, if the timing reported to me by the DCJIS and FO is accurate.

Questions:

Is it coincidence that the day I called for status to the PD and referenced the fact that DCJIS said it was sent back a month earlier that it was suddenly ready?

Does it make sense that they will just remove the restrictions in the computer after one year but the license will still say Hunting and Target?

If your restrictions are lifted then yes,they will have to issue you a new license, else you will still be restricted to "Hunting and Target"!

Make sure once you are given "unrestricted" in the system, that you wait until you get your new card before you carry all the time because you could be in for a big headache by responding law enforcement. Your issuing authority probably won't like it either.

- - - Updated - - -

Make sure once you are given "unrestricted" in the system, that you wait until you get your new card before you carry all the time because you could be in for a big headache by responding law enforcement. Your issuing authority probably won't like it either.

Hello All,

It has been some time since I've posted in this thread or on any other part of NES. Life has been busy, good busy but busy. Some of you who follow this thread regularly know me. I've not been able to follow this thread lately to see where the delay's are being reported.

I can relay that MSP's turn around time on prints is improving greatly. I've been told times are down from 3-4 months to 1-2 months on AFIS checks. While MSP is turning out prints faster, I've hearing the delay's are now with the FRB printing licenses. Makes sense right, all of a sudden prints are coming back faster, causing licenses to get approved faster and more at a time, leading to the FRB getting a higher work load. FRB is taking about 1 month-ish to print the license and mail it back to the PD. Times are getting better, but I'm guessing it will still take awhile longer until it is "back to normal." or at least tolerable.

Please keep in mind this is for the police departments that play it straight up, we all know there are departments that hold things and take longer on purpose.

In Worcester it took me 3 months to just get an appointment for my renewal. After that it was another 11 weeks to get my license back. Amazingly no restrictions in Worcester

My wife just got her's in 4 weeks. 2 buddies recently got theirs in 5 and 6 weeks. All town of Norwell. I think a lot of people are getting messed with.

I've been calling DJIS every 2 weeks and this morning they stated I was approved for my Dealers, Gunsmith and Ammo Dealers License on 12/2. They also said it could be a 2-3 weeks more to have it in hand.
9/21 - dropped off app
10/7 - called for prints
10/16 - prints and photo
11/10 - called DJIS, nothing
11/22 - called DJIS, still waiting on prints
12/9 - called DJIS, Approved on 12/2

Update, Methuen:

8/19/13 6:00 and 6:30PM Appointments (arrived 5:45, both done and out the door by 6:15)
11/26/13 14 weeks + 1 Day Called LO, at 11:30AM. Received call back at 1:45PM. Both approved. Waiting for FRB to ship them to her.
12/9/13 Called FRB, told me they were issued on 11/19/13. Still haven’t received call from LO. 16 weeks (112 days) today.

Scheduled Interview - 6/4
Interview - 8/6
Approved - 11/26
Printed/Shipped - 12/2

85 Business days and counting.

Called local PD and they still haven't received it. I called last Thursday and they told me it hasn't been approved by the FRB yet, however all the info above is right from the FRB. I think my local PD is sitting on the license, although the FRB informed me that local PD should definitely have the license and it's illegal for them to sit on it. In all this time I've only called Local PD twice for status updates. Anyone else having this type of issue? It's Tewksbury. Thanks.

My experience...

Questions:

FWIW, my buddy got his license in Groveland, was told the same about the restrictions, went back after a year, and they did remove the restrictions.

In Worcester it took me 3 months to just get an appointment for my renewal. After that it was another 11 weeks to get my license back. Amazingly no restrictions in Worcester

Thanks to Comm2A, Worcester is issuing unrestricted to anyone with a totally clean background. While that's still not the level of respect Worcester residents' 2A rights deserve, it's a big step in the right direction. http://www.northeastshooters.com/vb...husetts-town?p=3266295&viewfull=1#post3266295

7/20: Basic Firearms Safety Class
7/22: Scheduled Interview
8/19: Interview
8/26: Moon Island Range Test
9/22: Joined Braintree Rifle and Pistol Club
11/25: Activated by FRB & Mailed to BPD
12/9: Picked up from BPD; Target & Hunting Restriction

142 days from start to finish, 112 days (16 weeks) from application to license in hand.... I'll def be renewing 6-9 months before it expires after this horrible wait time! Now to purchase my Christmas gift to myself, a Beretta 92FS!

Progress update for wife and I in Methuen.

11/26/13 14 weeks + 1 Day Called LO, at 11:30AM. Received call back at 1:45PM. Both printed by FRB. Waiting for FRB to ship them to her.
12/10/13 16 weeks + 1 Day Found VM on the home phone that they were both ready to be picked up at our convenience. 113 Days total from application appointment.

I guess I'll have to change my signature after I pick mine up on the way into work tomorrow morning.

Edit:

Picked up my and the wife's LTC-As No Restrictions on the way into work. Signature change in process. [smile]

Last edited:
Me and my buddy just picked up our LTC A's in Worcester, unrestricted.

04/XX/13 - called to make appointment.
08/29/13 - Appointment, submitted paperwork, fingerprinted
11/29/13 - Approved
12/05/13 - Issued
12/13/12 - LTC A Unrestricted in hand!

Here's my timeline:
7/27: basic MA pistol course
8/1: submitted application
9/23: interview at Taunton PD
11/27: issued and printed
12/13: LTC-A unrestricted arrived in mail

4/16: Dropped off Application at Stoneham PD
9/9: SPD called to set up appointment.
9/17: Appointment, fingerprints, handed them a check.
12/19: Voicemail to pick up my LTC (unrestricted).
Just over 8 months total.

Back
Top Bottom