• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

How long did your LTC-A take in your town???

Dear Everyone,

I started my renewal process in late July and was interviewed by the Arlington police department on Sept. 5. I called the Arlington PD a few days back and they mentioned that the state police background checks are taking 10-14 weeks to complete. I plan to call back in early December to check. Is it reasonable to expect that I will have a new license by year's end?

So I just called BPD HQ to update them with my new address and get an update on the status of my LTC. I submitted my application Aug 19 & passed my range test Aug 26. Moon Island officers said it would be 10-12 weeks to get my LTC. But when I called today I was told that my background check hasn't been received yet and that alone is taking about 12 weeks now. None of this is really a shock to me after reading through these forums for months now but one thing I can't grasp is, had I committed a crime they'd have my background check completed in less than a day, right? So why when applying for a LTC does it take forever or am I just naive in thinking they're the same type of background checks?

So I just called BPD HQ to update them with my new address and get an update on the status of my LTC. I submitted my application Aug 19 & passed my range test Aug 26. Moon Island officers said it would be 10-12 weeks to get my LTC. But when I called today I was told that my background check hasn't been received yet and that alone is taking about 12 weeks now. None of this is really a shock to me after reading through these forums for months now but one thing I can't grasp is, had I committed a crime they'd have my background check completed in less than a day, right? So why when applying for a LTC does it take forever or am I just naive in thinking they're the same type of background checks?

A BOP and III can be run in a matter of minutes from any MDT and/or dispatch computer. DMH backgrounds take longer (no idea how quick it can be done).

HOWEVER, according to the Director of FRB, the LTC/FID process is done differently and thus takes a lot longer. For gun licenses, NO backgrounds can be done via FRB until after your picture, prints and sign-off on the resulting form are done . . . I was told this is the way their computer system is setup. Then the process for sending the fingerprints via MSP is a very long queue (some steps may have changes since I posted the sticky on the process) and is a major hang-up.

The Director of FRB told me that anyone getting approved within a month or so of their "interview" (picture/prints/sign-off on the form) must be because the PD is going around the LTC/FID process and getting the backgrounds done via CJIS the way they would do it if you were stopped for a MV infraction. There are very few PDs doing things this way from what I'm seeing here.

Good luck and patience is a virtue when dealing with gov't.

Just got off the phone with DCJIS. License was approved, printed, and mailed to the LPD. Received an unrestricted in one of the most unfriendly 2A cities [smile].

Mike

Last edited:
Just got off the phone with DCJIS. License was approved, printed, and mailed to the LPD. Received an unrestricted in one of the most unfriendly 2A cities [smile].

Mike

Hi Mike,

If you don't mind me asking how long did you wait for your license? I applied back in July and was interviewed for a renewal on Sept. 5.

Best,
John

Mike

What is the "L" in LPD (what town?), and how were you able to get unrestricted? Do you have special circumstances, or have they changed their policy, etc.?

First time applicant in the city of Chelsea

Application: late July

Fingerprints: August 8

PD approved: 10/7

Picked up card: 10/24

Nearly a year.
Quincy
Requested appointment in January 2013.
Received appointment to submit application in July 2013.
State received my application from QPD in late October 2013.
Apparently it is waiting to be printed and mailed back to QPD, so I'm going to give it another month practically before it's in-hand. So nearly 11 months start to finish.

I am just 11 weeks into my waiting period, and I called the frb to check on my license for sh&ts and giggles. And it turns out my application made it to Chelsea ma. And the kind lady on the phone said I will have my ltc in about 2 weeks. Which if exact would be 13 weeks and 3 days. I was surprised because I applied 6 weeks after my buddy in the same town, and I am getting mine a week after him. Assuming I get mine in 2 weeks.
edit: this is in rutland btw.

Haverhill

Interview - July 11th
License in hand - September 18th

Class A Unrestricted

Det. Corthell was a great guy to work with.

Firearms record bureau finally updated

Current Firearms Records Bureau (FRB) License Processing Time

As of October 28, 2013 the FRB is currently approving and printing licenses that were submitted for review by police departments between October 15th and October 27th.

Reading

Interview June 12
Contacted FRB today and informed I was approved October 29.

Just a couple more weeks...

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Well it finally happened, I got my license in the mail today, it took 174 days from interview to in my pocket, I'll never know why it took so long but now that I have it I don't care, along the way I did contact a state rep and talked to a few Plymouth officials, I can only hope it helps those still waiting.

Tim [thumbsup]

Well it finally happened, I got my license in the mail today, it took 174 days from interview to in my pocket, I'll never know why it took so long but now that I have it I don't care, along the way I did contact a state rep and talked to a few Plymouth officials, I can only hope it helps those still waiting.

Tim [thumbsup]

HOLY SHIT! u finally got it congrats, u got me beat I was 150 days and ya I know the feeling now that I got it its like ahh what was I stressing over

Back
Top Bottom