How long did your LTC-A take in your town???

Called FRB and they said it was activated 8/9 and mailed to local PD week of 8/26. Called local PD yesterday and they said they had not received anything from FRB yet. Should I be alarmed that local PD has not received it yet, or is this normal?

Has anyone charted the wait times to see patterns? I wonder if things slow down over the summer months and get better during the fall/winter.

Might be an interesting exercise. Wonder if I can convince my boss that it's business related....

Well my wait is almost over. I went to the local PD with my wife for our interviews and prints on June 4th. That was 105 days ago. I called the number for the state to check progress about a month ago. A (I'm guessing) young girl with manners handed me off to someone with a little bit of an attitude and was told that they had not received it from the town. Then I called the the local PD, and left a message. They in turn left a message saying that they were waiting on the background checks from the state, and I forget the exact words but in essence, don't call us, we'll call you. I called the state again early last week and a very polite person told me that they were still waiting for the town. So, not to go against their wishes, I emailed the Sargent in charge of firearms licensing. He emailed me this morning and said that we were lucky that we applied when we did, because the state is now 4-5 months behind on fingerprint records checks, and that he sent ours in last week. He said that the state is also behind in printing them out and that they are averaging 3-4 weeks.

So, it's looking good that we may actually receive them this year.
This is Wilmington, by the way.

I made ZERO contact, while waiting, with any licensing authority from my first LTC to the many, many renewals I've had over the years. Most recently this year. 39 days from application to license in hand.

Is it the current generation of new applicants is so used instant gratification, that they freak out if it didn't arrive yesterday?? Maybe frequent calling could be "slowing them down?"

Applied on 6 Jun in Boston for my renewal (non-restricted - originally issued in Chelsea). Re-qual'd at Moon Island on 10 Jun. Just received it in the mail today, 17 Sep. 11 days into my grace period. By far the longest I've ever had to wait for my LTC-A.

On a positive note - Restrictions:None

They did not downgrade me as I was expecting. Not going ask any questions. I'll take it :)

Called FRB and they said it was activated 8/9 and mailed to local PD week of 8/26. Called local PD yesterday and they said they had not received anything from FRB yet. Should I be alarmed that local PD has not received it yet, or is this normal?

Ugh, I called and they said they mailed it to my pd last week. I was hoping that meant I would hear something soon. I guess I won't hold my breath... Not that waiting a half year or anything, is unreasonable and who's counting anyway... [rolleyes]

Last edited:
To Billsail:

I waited until about 75-80 days before the first call. I don't think they are psychic, do you? Other wise how could they have know to "slow down" the process for my application?
Instant Gratification?? Legally they are required to issue or deny within 40 days. I gave them almost twice that before merely inquiring.
For my wife and I, I have already paid out $400 between safety courses and license fees. I have never waited that long for anything that I have paid that much for.
Current Generation? Ah, never mind.

Last edited:

they should have it by now, mine was mailed week of sept 1st and I picked it up last nite

To Billsail:

I waited until about 75-80 days before the first call. I don't think they are psychic, do you? Other wise how could they have know to "slow down" the process for my application?
Instant Gratification?? Legally they are required to issue or deny within 40 days. I gave them almost twice that before merely inquiring.
For my wife and I, I have already paid out $400 between safety courses and license fees. I have never waited that long for anything that I have paid that much for.
Current Generation? Ah, never mind.

Yup Smokey, I too probably would have called after waiting that long. What I was hinting at, is weekly calls do nothing to speed up the process, and in some cases could delay the process, if someone has a hair across his ass. THEY are in control! I'm convinced, though some here disagree, that some PDs are screwing with people, and making them wait as long as they think they can get away with. That said, I know the state police can be painfully slow as well, but for what it's worth, my renewal took 39 days this May/June.

I made ZERO contact, while waiting, with any licensing authority from my first LTC to the many, many renewals I've had over the years. Most recently this year. 39 days from application to license in hand.

Is it the current generation of new applicants is so used instant gratification, that they freak out if it didn't arrive yesterday?? Maybe frequent calling could be "slowing them down?"

Yup Smokey, I too probably would have called after waiting that long. What I was hinting at, is weekly calls do nothing to speed up the process, and in some cases could delay the process, if someone has a hair across his ass. THEY are in control! I'm convinced, though some here disagree, that some PDs are screwing with people, and making them wait as long as they think they can get away with. That said, I know the state police can be painfully slow as well, but for what it's worth, my renewal took 39 days this May/June.

I think Hanlon's Razor applies.

Finally the day has come. I was told approx 14 weeks when I applied and it showed up in 14 weeks and 1 day.
Application dropped off: June 11, 2013
Prints/Pics: June 12, 2013
Issued: September 10, 2013
Delivered to my house: September 19, 2013

Peabody first time applicant, 21 years old
LTC-A: "Target and Hunting"

Bold is what will make most immediately dismiss your opinion.

What evidence do you have?

What will a LO have to gain by holding up applications? I don't think anyone is receiving their first time license within 40 days. I asked my local PD how many people a month are applying for a LTC, she said she couldn't disclose that to me but showed me the STACK of applications and the STACK awaiting the background check results.

Bold is what will make most immediately dismiss your opinion.

This thread speaks for itself.

What evidence do you have?

What will a LO have to gain by holding up applications? I don't think anyone is receiving their first time license within 40 days. I asked my local PD how many people a month are applying for a LTC, she said she couldn't disclose that to me but showed me the STACK of applications and the STACK awaiting the background check results.

Some (not all) Pds thrive on power. That's what they gain! Making you wait is a cruel game to them. And some are anti-gun and anti civil rights, though they would never admit it, for fear of public backlash. This is one reason why wait times are all over the board. Please note, I said one reason.

Other reasons are laziness, incompetence, and an IDGAF attitude.

Combine all of this with a state system that can't perform a simple background check in a timely manner, and you have a totally disorganized cluster F'!

Other reasons are laziness, incompetence, and an IDGAF attitude.

Combine all of this with a state system that can't perform a simple background check in a timely manner, and you have a totally disorganized cluster F'!

Also, lack of resources. Either through incompetence or malicious will, some cities make it extremely difficult just based on the hours they are "Open for business". Some cities have the worst hours for folks to show up and go through the process.

The one theme I see over and over again while reading these threads is frustration and anger, we see others getting their license when they applied in some cases over a month after someone who is still waiting. Or when you call the FRB or the DCJIS and they tell you it is still with your local authority and its been four months. I am waiting the same as everyone else, but I find myself asking the question "What the heck is going on"? Keep the faith..!

My wife just got hers in Templeton, with hunting and target restriction. Took about 4 months, but after 2 months, she got called back to redo her prints.

Still waiting on mine from Arlington. Hasn't been the 8 weeks I was quoted, but I'm impatient.

Mid-April - Applied for LTC
May 23rd - Fingerprinting/Photographing
June 4th - Check cashed by local PD
July 8th - Called FRB and was informed my application is still under review by my local PD

Hopefully it won't be too much longer, there are way too many firearms up for sale here!

Finally! Exactly 4 months to the day and the Arlington PD called me to inform me my LTC is ready for pickup. They didn't say if it was restricted or not in their message, but I'll find out later today when I pick it up.

*edit* Horray! No restrictions from Arlington, MA.

Last edited:
"My wife just got hers in Templeton, with hunting and target restriction. Took about 4 months, but after 2 months, she got called back to redo her prints."

Same thing happened to me and now I am on the 5th month of waiting.

It has now been 112 days since I applied for my renewal. I called a couple of weeks ago because I missed out on a really good job because I need a current LTC, and the local PD says it hasn't been released from the State PD yet. Thank you Massachusetts for keeping me on unemployment because the only lead on a job I cant interview for.

My friend in rutland got his ltc a in 4.5 months with no restrictions. Looks like I have a lot more waiting.
edit: they told him 10-12 weeks

Last edited:
Start the clock!
Framingham:
Paperwork dropped off: 5/30/2013
Fingerprinted: 6/20/2013
Issued: TBD

Was told by the lady behind the desk to expect a call in "about 12 weeks."

Update: Just called FRB/DCJ and was told it's now pending activation. It has been 98 days. Lady at the FRB/DCJ said two weeks before I have it.

Back
Top Bottom