How long did your LTC-A take in your town???

Still waiting on mine from Arlington. Hasn't been the 8 weeks I was quoted, but I'm impatient.

Mid-April - Applied for LTC
May 23rd - Fingerprinting/Photographing
June 4th - Check cashed by local PD
July 8th - Called FRB and was informed my application is still under review by my local PD

Hopefully it won't be too much longer, there are way too many firearms up for sale here!

UPDATE:

New Applicant for LTC-A in Chelsmford

April 2nd- Drop off Application and letter of Recommendation
April 15th- Got my prints taken and handed in my payment
May 8th- Check cashed by Chelmsford PD
May 20th- Waiting
Weekly calls to the FRB to check on the status

July 8th - I just called the FRB and was told that my application had been approved! Finally! Was also told that it will be another 2 weeks or so until I get my license in hand, and based on everything I've read here, that seems to be pretty accurate. So far its been 12 weeks total from April 15th to July 8th, and will probably end up being 14 weeks before it is all said and done.

Thanks for the update and hopefully that means mine won't be far behind. Congratulations on being approved.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk 2

Auburn

LTC A No restrictions

Made appointment - March 9th
Prints and application - April 8th
Picked it up - July 9th

Five months, not including the two month wait for a slot in the Basic Hunter's Education course last February.

In 2010 my wife and I built our house and moved to Billerica, in the midst of all the chaos I didn't inform the new town that I had an LTC A from Somerville. I found out when the PD was at my house asking my wife for my guns, I was shocked but it was my own fault. Fortunately I wasn't home at the time so I gave the guns to my dad to hold onto until I figure out what to do. I convinced myself that I no longer needed the LTC until the birth of my little girl, she changed everything. I went to the Billerica PD, and started the renewal process. Here is my timeline.

9 MAY 2013 filled out application and paid the $100
15 JUN 2013 interview
10 JUL called FRB approved on the 9th waiting to be processed and mailed out, they told me 2-3 weeks.

So if that's true 2 more weeks will be 5 1/2 weeks from interview to my hand. Not bad considering the horror stories in this thread. Billerica PD is so friendly and made the process so easy, what a class act dept, they should all be like this!

Last edited:
In 2010 my wife and I built our house and moved to Billerica, in the midst of all the chaos I didn't inform the new town that I had an LTC A from Somerville. I found out when the PD was at my house asking my wife for my guns, I was shocked but it was my own fault. Fortunately I wasn't home at the time so I gave the guns to my dad to hold onto until I figure out what to do. I convinced myself that I no longer needed the LTC until the birth of my little girl, she changed everything. I went to the Billerica PD, and started the renewal process. Here is my timeline.

15 JUN 2013 interview
10 JUL called FRB approved on the 9th waiting to be processed and mailed out, they told me 2-3 weeks.

So if that's true 2 more weeks will be 5 1/2 weeks from interview to my hand. Not bad considering the horror stories in this thread. Billerica PD is so friendly and made the process so easy, what a class act dept, they should all be like this!

Could you elaborate. Did Billerica PD come for your guns. How did they find you, and why would they want your guns if you were licensed in Somerville? Are you saying that you informed Somerville of your move, but not Billerica? If that's the case, gun owners better keep all their ducks in a row, in regards to following all the requirements when you move to a new town!

If your wife was not licensed, and she had access to your guns, you both may have been in deep doo-doo.

I'm not slamming you for this. It could happen to anyone. I'm just surprised it happened. Usually you would run into trouble when you went to renew, or did you allow your license to expire?

Maybe I should of elaborated a bit. I had my LTC A ALP issued in Somerville, when I moved to Billerica I did not inform either town of the move, honestly I wasn't aware that I had to, I figured I would do it at renewal like you said. I am in the Army and I was away at training when they came to the house. They informed my wife that my LTC had been suspended because I did not inform them of the move and that I need to surrender my weapons when I got back from training. Neither one of us new that my license was suspended, my guns were locked away in the safe and she had no access to them. As soon as I found out that they came by, I asked my father who is licensed to go by the house and get them. I don't know how they found out but they did, and quickly I might add!! As you said, this could happen to anyone if their not cautious like me, so keep your ducks in a row if and when you move. I'll never let that happen again. I'll say it again, Billerica PD is an amazing dept!! A final word of advice, definitely be cautious if and when you move because this caught me by complete surprise, I just didn't even think about it, I know ignorance is not an excuse but it happened.

Last edited:

15 JUN 2013 interview

I live in Billerica and I couldn't agree with you more ..Det Magnum was so friendly.He never asked why I wanted a license and exactly 40 days after the interview I had it in hand LTC-A no restrictions[grin]

Just for everyone's knowledge In case they don't know or don't understand, when your LTC is listed as "Pending Review by LO" this means they are waiting for your DMH & AFIS checks to come back. It does not mean they are dragging their feet and not approving it just to piss you off. (Unless your PD sucks and they do actually do that, but most likely they are waiting on prints from MSP, which as we can all tell here it takes various times depending on only god knows what)

Called the FRB today and was told my LTC has been approved and is supposed to be printed this week.

Applied in Medford 3/14. That's 17 weeks for those keeping count.

Now granted I was told the same thing 2 weeks ago and it turned out to be incorrect, so hopefully it's for real this time. No idea yet if it is unrestricted or not.

Called the FRB today and was told my LTC has been approved and is supposed to be printed this week.

Now granted I was told the same thing 2 weeks ago and it turned out to be incorrect, so hopefully it's for real this time. No idea yet if it is unrestricted or not.
Call back and ask them, they will tell you exactly what you got approved for and if there are any restrictions, they did for me.

That's good news buddy. Here's to hoping it's unrestricted. I'm three weeks behind you so I should be approved soon. Do you know at what point they cashed your check? Mine is still out in the wild.

That's good news buddy. Here's to hoping it's unrestricted. I'm three weeks behind you so I should be approved soon. Do you know at what point they cashed your check? Mine is still out in the wild.
When they cash your check has absolutely no relevance here, my check was cashed 3 days after the interview. At the end of the day the check goes to the town clerk not the PD, just depends on their deposit schedule, It has nothing to do with your LTC. You might find that you get your license even before the check clears. Some towns are very slow and don't make frequent deposits, especially small ones. So don't freak out and think they aren't working on it just because your check is still floating around.

Last edited:
Springfield

applied, fingerprinted, photos -5/2
in draft - 5/24
in draft - 6/7
in draft - 6/28
in draft - 7/12

10 weeks still nothing
Renewal or first time? If its a renewal I would be on the phone with the PD ASAP!! Even for first timer I would have called weeks ago. That's me though! Some guys have been waiting a lot longer and still have nothing. I was fortunate to have mine approved in 3 1/2 weeks. Just waiting on activation right now, so they tell me!! But mine is a renewal, those seem to be going quicker.

Last edited:
first time. I'm gonna go in on Monday morning and see what the deal is. The Deputy Chief told me face to face that my app was approved about 3-4 weeks ago but clearly its not according to the FRB. I am wondering if it's still the fingerprints holding it up.

A good friend of mine just turned in his application and had his fingerprinting session last week in Worcester. Those bastards made him wait 6 months for that appointment.

Curious if the LEO there really has changed his policy or not, will post a status when my buddy hears back.

A good friend of mine just turned in his application and had his fingerprinting session last week in Worcester. Those bastards made him wait 6 months for that appointment.

Curious if the LEO there really has changed his policy or not, will post a status when my buddy hears back.
WOW, THAT SUX!! I went from interview to awaiting activation in 3 1/2 weeks. Billerica PD is Amazing!!

Last edited:
My safety class was 1/16/13. Interview including prints an Pic scheduled for 5/16/13. Town said @ 7 weeks they have been about taking about 6 mths from initial interview. @ 8 weeks last Thursday FBR stated that they had not received the "packet" from the city where I live. What is my next course of action without annoying anyone?

My safety class was 1/16/13. Interview including prints an Pic scheduled for 5/16/13. Town said @ 7 weeks they have been about taking about 6 mths from initial interview. @ 8 weeks last Thursday FBR stated that they had not received the "packet" from the city where I live. What is my next course of action without annoying anyone?

You wait. I - and mostly everyone - had a long wait time. It's crappy but you've gotta look for the silver lining. Now would be a good time to order a crossbreed or something that will take a long time. Start renting firearms and decide which one you like best. Don't call your local PD to the point of annoyance. Most of the waiting is held up from getting prints back from the state. Good luck

I got that letter from the state saying to renew asap, so I did. I have 5 months till expiration. Made an appointment, soonest appointment is in October. My city is back logged with over 300 people. Insane!

You wait. I - and mostly everyone - had a long wait time. It's crappy but you've gotta look for the silver lining. Now would be a good time to order a crossbreed or something that will take a long time. Start renting firearms and decide which one you like best. Don't call your local PD to the point of annoyance. Most of the waiting is held up from getting prints back from the state. Good luck
+1^

- - - Updated - - -

This is what I would be doing to the gun loving people of MA if I wast one of them. [rofl]

UP DATE :

First time for LTC class A Holbrook MA
Finger prints at PD 4-13-13
Called PD 5-24-13 was told going to be awhile
Called PD 7-2-13 Left voicemail checking statice
PD called me today left voicemail I have been approved 1 to 2 more weeks he will call me when licence is in from FRB
7-14-13 PD called left voice mail licence at front desk come pickup anytime
7-15-13 picked up just now class A no restrictions

Back
Top Bottom