How long did your LTC-A take in your town???

Application and money turned in at Springfield PD on 7/24. Had to go back on 7/27 for fingerprints. I was told at that time that it will be about a month and a half to be issued...at worst 3 months. The girl at the desk told me they've been pretty quick on them lately. I'll post an update when I hear from them. Crossing my fingers. [thinking]

Hey all, I was wondering how long the process took in your towns for your LTC-A. I live in Fitchburg, and my wife and I dropped our off 1/23/09 interviewed and printed same day[smile]. Thought this might be a good thread so newbies get an idea how long it usually takes. God knows I am constantly looking at the calander[rolleyes]. Thanks all for sharing.
It took me about 6 weeks to get mine in New Bedford, MA, including the time to get an interview. I got my unrestricted Class A mainly because I have had my FID since I was 16 years old. Even though I am a veteran and qualified on numerous weapons, if it was not for my FID, I would have gotten a sport and target restriction. New Bedford is very hard to get an unrestricted permit. It took me about 8 weeks to get both my Maine and NH non-resident permits.

Last edited:
congrats Sail, and welcome to NES. [cheers] Did medford restrict you or are you ALP?

Class A Restricted to "hunting and target". I figure I'll join a club, wait a couple of years, behave myself, and reapply for unrestricted. Assuming of course that we'll even be allowed to own guns in two years!!!

At the time I applied my sister was renewing, I wrote her a letter based on Scriveners suggestions and the chief upgraded her to unrestricted. Same city, go figure.

Hang in there. Waiting is not so fun, but it will give you time to get some stuff ready. May I suggest:

Find a good safe
Do research on guns your interested in
Get some shooting in with friends
Get some accessories you will need (cleaning kit, range bag, etc)

Definitely planning to hit all of the above. A handgun safe of some sort is what I will start with since I have two kids. As far as my first gun I'm leaning towards a S&W 9mm (preferably M&P compact). Of course I'll be adding one more thing to your suggestions in my long wait...

Stash away the money for that first big purchase. [wink]

It took me about 8-9 weeks in Lunenburg, MA, however the department noted that this was longer than usual because of the large influx of applicants ever since Barrack Stalin became president.

When I used to buy firearms in NH, the back ground checks were instant. Are the checks in MA more detailed?

Why, in 2009, does it take MONTHS to find out if someone is "suitable" to have a handgun in MA?

When I used to buy firearms in NH, the back ground checks were instant. Are the checks in MA more detailed?

Why, in 2009, does it take MONTHS to find out if someone is "suitable" to have a handgun in MA?

In MA you must have a License to Carry to purchase and or possess a handgun. A Firearms Identification Card is needed to purchase and or possess a long gun.

The license application process includes an extensive background check. The applicant is also required to complete and pass a firearm safety course. The applicant may also be required to submit to other egregious acts of satisfying the licensing authority.
Such licenses are issued by each chief of police in each city/town of the state. Each chief interprets the law to mean just about what he/she wants it to be.
The reason it takes so long is that the state legislators created a mess of bureaucratic BS laws because they do not trust the citizens to possess firearms and to make the process so difficult and expensive many people just give up.

Last edited:
In MA you must have a License to Carry to purchase and or possess a handgun. A Firearms Identification Card is needed to purchase and or possess a long gun.

The license application process includes an extensive background check. The applicant is also required to complete and pass a firearm safety course. The applicant may also be required to submit to other egregious acts of satisfying the licensing authority.
Such licenses are issued by each chief of police in each city/town of the state. Each chief interprets the law to mean just about what he/she wants it to be.
The reason it takes so long is that the state legislators created a mess of bureaucratic BS laws because they do not trust the citizens to possess firearms and to make the process so difficult and expensive many people just give up.

I suspected that. Records checks can be done the same day, and instantly in some cases. I'll take my rants elsewhere, for now.

Well it's been 4 weeks since prints done at Spfld. PD and just got call today from them. Having me come in tomorrow at 10 for the interview. Wish me luck. [grin]

Interviewed today. Went well...deputy was a nice guy. Since I'm a landlord who "carries large sums of money for deposit" he said he's going to issue class A-protection, all lawful purposes, concealed carry. Sending everything to Boston and said it'll be about six weeks. Brings the total time estimate to 10 weeks since I started the process. I'll post again when I finally receive it.

Dropped off application at Walpole PD on 7/16/09, went in for fingerprinting on 8/6/09 and had LTC-A (target and hunting) issued on 8/25/09. Received it in the mail on 9/4/09.

Total time from application drop off to receipt of license: 50 days

droppes off my paperwork and did my prints leo say record looks clean havent been in a courthose since 1985 no convictions then says you will get a letter if denied or we will call no call after 7 weeks called pd did even ask my name said sometimes takes 3 or 4 months they will call no letter no call went to ma gov web it say will get letter if denied in 30 days or issued in 40 days still waiting

If you count the 2 months that they lost my paperwork it took 78 days......they called and informed me that they found my stuff and I had my LTC in 8 days after.

A bit late reporting in, but three weeks in Waltham, plus a few weeks trying to get an appointment. Restricted.

There were 10-15 other LTCs and FIDs (red-stripe?) waiting to be picked up in the pile.

3 weeks after prints; that's great!

I am going on 4 weeks after prints here and still nothing. I hope next week! PLEASE! [crying]

Do they cash the check before you pick it up or get it in the mail? Mine is still not cashed.

A bit late reporting in, but three weeks in Waltham, plus a few weeks trying to get an appointment. Restricted.

There were 10-15 other LTCs and FIDs (red-stripe?) waiting to be picked up in the pile.

Back
Top Bottom