How do you store your ammo?...

I try not to stack them more than 2 pallets high, because then its hard to move them quickly and if it's an emergency, you might have trouble yanking cans from the lower pallet.

Caliber-wise, I organize the pallets such that they are close to the locker containing the firearms that use them.

[thinking]

[laugh2]
You can use my loader/stacker anytime to move those pallets.

This is a decent locking metal cabinet that is sturdy enough for multiple cases of ammo on each shelf.

TENNSCO Counter Height Cabinet, Unassembled, Sand - Commercial & Industrial Cabinets - 3W293|1442 TAN - Grainger Industrial Supply

3W293_AS01

But what about the rest of the ammo?? [grin] A locking 4 drawer filing cabinet works pretty good for me. I do like the cabinets like the one you posted but I was looking for one in the taller size, just haven't found it for a good price yet. Craigs list will produce one of these days!!!

I keep it wherever I want. Some is in the cabinet with the guns (it locks but I wouldn't really call it a good safe). More is in boxes next to that. All in the same room (at least with how much I have on hand now). Once I get enough to warrant larger containers, I'll look into that too. I do have 50 cal ammo cans/boxes that I've used before.

Once I'm reloading again, I'll probably use the ammo cans for that.

SO very glad I don't have to worry about the stupid MA laws about this. [smile]

In all seriousness, don't try using a standard duty shelving unit for ammo storage. 20-30 boxes of .45 next to 30-50 boxes of 9mm will cause light duty shelves to collapse. Especially the cheap kind that have the clips holding the shelves in place. (I'm looking at you, standard Stack-On safe shelves.)

There is really nothing like coming home to have several thousand rounds of neatly organized ammunition pour out into a big pile on the floor when you open your safe or cabinet.

i'm also looking for a med size cabinet for all my ammo. I made some strong shelves in my sentry safe but it's the running out of room i'm having an issue with. I wonder how small of a Job Box i can find.

I got a 5 drawer locking filing cabinet that holds it all nicely.

I need to get a bigger house though. No space in any other rooms for it, so the file cabinet is down the basement. Sounds like less than ideal, based on other people's comments in the thread. I'll have to tell Mrs Warpig that we need to get a bigger house so that I can more properly store ammo! [smile]

Not sure if she'll be more pissed about the cost to store ammo, or being called Mrs Warpig!!!

I was lucky enough to have stocked up on ammo cans when they were cheap at $5. All my ammo is stored in cans with some in a Sentinel safe and the rest in a job site box and mags in a locking heavy duty file cabinet.

All your ammo will fit in just ONE safe? And all your guns will just ONE safe???

Thats a 'starter package" for some people here !!!! [rofl]
Ya I know but I don't feel the need to have 100Krds of ammo on hand. 15000 22lr , 5000 or so 9mm 2000 .45 and a bunch of other random calibers. Unlike some people I put buying food ahead of buying ammo [smile]

I like this for $99

0008552998910_300X300.jpg
Just got one from Dicks myself. Almost too small... Not sure it is as secure as I would like so it is hidden away. Nice to give the guns some room to breathe. This works best for ammunition when it is mounted horizontally (with the "back" on the floor).
White Feather

I always get a chuckle when I read/hear about people in PRM having to lock up their ammo. Or store it in another safe, separate from their guns. More stupid laws that only serve to make you LESS safe. I store mine wherever the fork I want. [smile]

Before the PRM inmates start to rant and rave, I feel bad for you guys too. Just so very glad I got out when I did. Just wish I had done it many years earlier.

Back
Top Bottom