• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

How do you lock your home gun?

M1911, I'm still with you. FOOPED was noticed at the NES shoot in Mansfield to have.... how should I put this..... Somewhat RELAXED safety habits. Some of them included "sweeping" other shooters as he used his guns.

More than one person related this to me.

Sorry Fooped, nothing personal.

And for M1911, +1

Depicts, you've got to have Fooped confused with somebody else. I've been shooting with him regularly (minimum once a month) for the last 3 years or so, and I have never seen him be anything but completely focused on safety when guns are involved.

Fooped. one of the reasons I did post that was to give you a heads up.

I do know who I'm talking about.

Some people just stay away when they notice bad habits, and some people speak up and tell you up front. It came up in context of how you were grandstanding about "IF I want to use a live pistol for a drill I will..." sort of crap.

M1911 tried gracefully to tell you it might be a good idea to use a safer plan for your "Drill"

Not only did you disagree with him, you disparaged him for his good intentions. No good deed goes unpunished!!

IF you've been noticed by other unquestionable sources as being limited in strict self-safety habits, maybe you're not the "Invincible" person you think you are.

I'm ex military, and we probably have the worst handling characteristics of most shooters. Lots of us had guns around us all the time, day and night. Things like sweeping, leaning on your gun muzzle, and people pointing guns at you while everyone is cleaning their gear is very common.

I don't mean to put you down, rather, to lift your awareness. I'm sorry if I should have just sent you a private E mail the minute I heard this. You'd think, and probably still DO think, "who the hell is this guy with the wise remarks." Well, how would you have taken it if I sent such an e mail out of the blue? And who's business is it anyway? It became my business when you started giving advice to people how to train, when you spoke out to M1911 who was only trying to help you.

I'm dropping out of this conversation now. I had been catching up on hundreds of posts I missed while I was at the Smith & Wesson Collectors annual meeting. I guess I just spoke up this way trying to help. If you want to discuss this further, you can PM me or send me e-mail.

I appologize to everyone for the straying of the thread, but you can't just drop a bomb like that and say you're not going to participate in the conversation any more. You didn't post this to give Fooped a heads up, you posted this to attack his character plain and simple. A heads up is a verbal warning at the time of the event, or a post event PM or email. This is a gun forum, and saying "I saw you point a gun at people", is like going on a parenting message board and saying "I saw you painting your kid's play room with lead based paint" to top it all off you add "and so did other people who are of unquestionable character, so unquestionable, I'm not going to mention who they are, and I'm not going to justify anything else you say with a response". There are about six people on this board who I would not question (when it comes to something of this nature). The list is as folows, Derek, Eddie Coyle, Type01313, LenS, dwarven1, and Scrivener (while I think Scrivener is severely lacking in tact and manners, he is certainly not lacking when it comes to facts). If you want to stick up for M1911 that's fine (Fooped's comments were on the harsh side), but what you said had no place in this thread, and I find it hard to believe.

Mod's, please don't lock this thread. I'd like to get this ironed out here (civilly), where everybody can see it. If another thread is started to continue the conversation, people that read this one as the result of a search six months from now aren't going to see the other thread, they're only going to see that Depicts says Fooped doesn't practice safe gun handling.

M1911, I'm still with you. FOOPED was noticed at the NES shoot in Mansfield to have.... how should I put this..... Somewhat RELAXED safety habits. Some of them included "sweeping" other shooters as he used his guns.

More than one person related this to me.

Sorry Fooped, nothing personal.

And for M1911, +1

These are pretty serious accusations to post from second hand info. I'd never do it, and if someone did it to me I'd be very very pissed off.

I've shot with Fooped numerous times and have always found his safe gun handling to be exemplary. If I didn't, I wouldn't have shot with him more than once.

Unless and until the "noticers" tell me different (the ones that actually saw it, not someone that had it "related" to them), I'm going to assume that someone has an ax to grind against Fooped.

These are pretty serious accusations to post from second hand info. I'd never do it, and if someone did it to me I'd be very very pissed off.

I've shot with Fooped numerous times and have always found his safe gun handling to be exemplary. If I didn't, I wouldn't have shot with him more than once.

Unless and until the "noticers" tell me different (the ones that actually saw it, not someone that had it "related" to them), I'm going to assume that someone has an ax to grind against Fooped.

+1... I've never witnessed a safety problem with him, either.....

-Mike

This very well may not be needed but in Fooped's defense I have shot with him on several occasions and I have never ever seen anything but complete control and safety measures taken while on the firing line.

I have to say if anybody has an issue with the way some one is handling themselves WE ALL need to do the right thing and bring it to their attention IMMEDIATELY. Call Cease Fire and discuss. Handling it any other way is not safe in my opinion.

Apology to FOOPED

Fooped and others

I posted this on the members side. http://northeastshooters.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=39657&page=3

But I thought I should put it here in this thread also to admit my mistake.

Well, it sounds like 100 of you have proved my statement the other day wrong.

Fooped, I apologize to you. I should never have made that statement about your gun handling in public.

I'm sorry if I caused you to be the butt of other jokes today at the shoot. I'll bet everyone kept an eye on you too.

It was uncalled for on my part to be so harsh. I've learned something here.

Sorry my lesson had to hurt you.[thinking]

Yours

Bill

I thought the Mass law was ONLY if you had someone under 18 in the home you had to lock it up??....does this mean with a mass non resident class A i cannot leave my handgun in my center console or glove compartment of my car while driving..or on a table if i am at my friends hanging out???....

I thought the Mass law was ONLY if you had someone under 18 in the home you had to lock it up??
No, that is not correct. Here is the storage law:

Chapter 140: Section 131L. Weapons stored or kept by owner; inoperable by any person other than owner or lawfully authorized user; punishment

Section 131L. (a) It shall be unlawful to store or keep any firearm, rifle or shotgun including, but not limited to, large capacity weapons, or machine gun in any place unless such weapon is secured in a locked container or equipped with a tamper-resistant mechanical lock or other safety device, properly engaged so as to render such weapon inoperable by any person other than the owner or other lawfully authorized user. For purposes of this section, such weapon shall not be deemed stored or kept if carried by or under the control of the owner or other lawfully authorized user.

....does this mean with a mass non resident class A i cannot leave my handgun in my center console or glove compartment of my car while driving

The law governing transport of firearms is in a different section:

Chapter 140: Section 131C. Carrying of firearms in a vehicle

Section 131C. (a) No person carrying a loaded firearm under a Class A license issued under section 131 or 131F shall carry the same in a vehicle unless such firearm while carried therein is under the direct control of such person. Whoever violates the provisions of this subsection shall be punished by a fine of $500.

(b) No person carrying a firearm under a Class B license issued under section 131 or 131F shall possess the same in a vehicle unless such weapon is unloaded and contained within the locked trunk of such vehicle or in a locked case or other secure container. Whoever violates the provisions of this subsection shall be punished by a fine of $500.

..or on a table if i am at my friends hanging out???....

If it is within your direct control, then it is legal. If it is not within your direct control (e.g., you leave the room), then it is not legal.

Thank you!!I guess i better be a lot more careful when i enter into Mass....and i am sure "but i do it in Connecticut" would get me nowhere with a cop in mass (i only really go to Springfield...which i will guess as to not be very firearm friendly)

Maybe add a small LED flashlight in the dresser so you can see the combo?

I have one of those stick-on led lights next to my gun vault. It has 4 slots, one around each button, and is easy for me to open in the dark, but it comes in handy if I want to see right away.

The gun vault is bolted to the nightstand and I keep 2 loaded guns in it. Both ready to go. Literally. In 1 1/2 seconds the safe pops open and I have a grip on one of them. Either of which, if you were to pull the trigger, would go boom.

The top one is a P99AS 9mm w/a tac light. The bottom one is a 4" Ruger GP100 loaded with .38 Spl +P (for the wife).

Back
Top Bottom